The Scream, and The Madonna paintings stolen in Oslo

just saw breaking news that these two famous paintings were picked off the wall and taken by two balaclava’d crooks with guns.

:astonished:

edit: This story just up on cnn:
Edvard Munch’s famous paintings “The Scream,” “Madonna” and others were stolen from an art museum Sunday while stunned museum-goers watched armed men threatening the staff at gunpoint as they took the art work to a waiting car.

edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europ … index.html

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

[quote=“EEzzee!”]edit: This story just up on CNN:
Edvard Munch’s famous paintings “The Scream,” “Madonna” and others were stolen from an art museum Sunday while stunned museum-goers watched armed men threatening the staff at gunpoint as they took the art work to a waiting car.
[/quote]
I found it interesting that this was the 2nd time in 10 years that “The Scream” was stolen from that same museum, and it still had no security (not even an alarm). The painting was just hanging on the wall as if in someone’s living room.

There was a silent alarm going off when they cut the wire holding the painting in place. The police arrived 1 minute later, but the robbers were already gone.
That said, it is easier to rob a museum than a 7-11, but it might be difficult for the robbers to profit from the heist - who is going to take the risk buying the painting(s)…

[quote=“X3M”]There was a silent alarm going off when they cut the wire holding the painting in place. The police arrived 1 minute later, but the robbers were already gone.
That said, it is easier to rob a museum than a 7-11, but it might be difficult for the robbers to profit from the heist - who is going to take the risk buying the painting(s)…[/quote]
I’m sure they shouldn’t have trouble getting something for it. It still sounds like something out of a movie. That movie with Kevin Spacey “Ordinary Decent Criminal” comes to mind.

[quote=“X3M”]There was a silent alarm going off when they cut the wire holding the painting in place. The police arrived 1 minute later, but the robbers were already gone.
[/quote]

According to the CNN link at the top of the thread:

What’s strange is that in this museum, there weren’t any means of protection for the paintings, no alarm bell," Castang told France Inter radio.”

Silent alarm explains this…but:

Castang said police arrived on the scene 15 minutes later. Visitors were ushered into the museum’s cafeteria.”

Police arrival time?

Sounds like this is some fanatic millionaire who wants this painting in his collection. why should some stupid robbers only steel these two paintings…

If you are interested, you can read about the robbery here:

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article853863.ece

Aftenposten [quote]Stj

The rogues! Why, even the Joker shied away from doing that.

The Scream is my favourite painting.

When I went to this museum, one of my first thoughts was that anybody could just walk in here and take one of the paintings. I’m surprised that it’s taken thieves this long to figure it out as well.