The SCUBA Thread

Good grief! After reading these harrowing tales, I doubt if I’d ever go scuba diving.

Why just a few days ago while snorkling in the waters of Guam’s Tumon Bay, I was viciously attacked and bit on the leg by a toothy Picasso Triggerfish!

These suckers are aggressively territorial:

There’s all kinds of creatures down there in those depths! :astonished:

But the good stuff you can see is REALLLLLY good. :slight_smile:

Hi guys, I noticed your posts on Seven Stars and Green Island and would like to comment. I have dived 7 Stars once or twice every year for the past 15 years. I have never had a problem out there, it is an awesome dive site. I know the capt who ‘lost’ the divers, it was his fault only in the respect that he allowed the divers into the water without signalling devices. Of the divers who became lost 2 were local dive instructors. They became lost because the sea state picked up while they were on the dive, a large swell came up and they were not carrying signalling devices. The capt did not forget or abandon the divers he spent a long time looking for them but could not see them in the big swells. He turned back to shore because he was low on fuel. If he had run out of fuel in those conditions he could have lost the whole boat and all the other divers on board, he did the right thing. Regarding Green Island I have dived there most years since 1989, the standards of the dive operators there have improved a great deal. I was there this CNY with a group of 8 divers we dove on the hammerheads everyday. There was a thorough pre dive briefing every day, the capt and his crew and the dive guides were highly competent. Generally speaking divers get into trouble most often when they attempt to do a dive which is beyond the level they have trained for or are capable of. They have no one to blame but themselves. There is plenty of safe diving on Green but everyone who has heard of the hammerhead dives wants to go there and see them. It is the most dangerous dive on Green and no one should be anywhere near that site unless they are competant divers, they are carrying redundant safety equipment and have planned their dive carefully with a buddy. IMO if you dive that site without the above you are not only foolish but lucky if you make it back.

Well, it would be very cool if you could post the name of the highly competent guys you dived with. It might save some lives.
There are so many cowboy operators down there, it would be very helpful to have the names of the trustworthy ones.

I hope I have not double posted this as I hit a key and everything disappeared :unamused: However once again. The guy I dive with has an operation on the main strip just north of the gas station. His name is Yen Chou Hu, and the dive shop is called Tung Long Diving [East dragon] Ph: 089 672 010. Fax:089 672 939. Email: tunglong@ms28.hinet.net
He does not speak English and nor do his staff, he is reluctant to take people who do not speak Chinese for obvious reasons and can be a bit stand offish if you do not know him. He used to be a real cowboy [ he has the tats and chews binlang like there is no tomorrow] but in recent years he has changed his operation a great deal. He has become very conscientious, pre dive briefings etc and he is very good in the water. On every dive over 3 days he was in the water himself an along with 2 DMs, they continually monitored everyone’s air supply and had a octopus ready for any diver that hit 50 bar. He handed out signal balloons to any of my group who was without. There were also 2 deck hands assisting divers back onto the boat. If you call him, mention my name [ Andy the instructor from Kaohsiung] he might loosen up a bit to you and he might give me some better discount the next time I go :smiley:
Cheers and Safe Diving.
PS: if any of you would like dive info on Orchid Island, Kenting, Shau Leo Cho, Seven Stars you are most welcome. I have had well over a 1000 dives around Taiwan [quote][/quote]

Not to take ANYTHING away from finsarefun there are several ENGLISH speaking dive instructors floating around.

I personally know a group of frequent divers who are english speakers…

We are getting a group together now who want to go to Green Island the end of the month…and …uh…well…come along. :slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”]Not to take ANYTHING away from finsarefun there are several English speaking dive instructors floating around.

I personally know a group of frequent divers who are English speakers…

We are getting a group together now who want to go to Green Island the end of the month…and …uh…well…come along. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Understand…But finsarefun is one of the “oldtimers” and well respected in the diving community. He’s also good friends with our old pal Durins Bane.

Hey buddy that’s great as I might be back over myself on Feb 25th and 27th or March 4th and 5th with a group from Kaohsiung. Hope to see you there. Let me know which shop you are diving with we can hook up for a beer in the evening :slight_smile:

Dude. I NEVER drink ONE beer.

:slight_smile:

[quote=“MJB”][quote=“jdsmith”]Not to take ANYTHING away from finsarefun there are several English speaking dive instructors floating around.

I personally know a group of frequent divers who are English speakers…

We are getting a group together now who want to go to Green Island the end of the month…and …uh…well…come along. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Understand…But finsarefun is one of the “oldtimers” and well respected in the diving community. He’s also good friends with our old pal Durins Bane.[/quote]

Hey guys, Lets not get off on the wrong foot, you are getting ahead of me here and using code :slight_smile: who is Durins Bane? As I have been diving here since 87 and an OWSI since 91. I know a lot of divers, sadly not that many foreign OWSIs or DMs . I have no intention of stealing anyone’s business here or anyone’s thunder. I have plenty of students down here in Kaohsiung, in fact I teach courses almost every weekend in Kenting. I don’t get enough fun diving in :frowning: I came into this forum because a buddy mentioned it and I had a look. I commented simply because Green, Orchid and Seven are some of my favourite ‘must do at every opportunity’ dives in Taiwan. It is simply not true that “all” Chinese DMs, OWSIs and shop owners and captains are slack on safety, granted a number are, but I have dived with a great number of excellent Chinese divers. Anyhow enough said. If any of you guys are OWSIs out there please contact me as I am interested in getting together a Foreign Instructors Diving Association in Taiwan.

Dude. I never drink ONE beer.

:slight_smile:[/quote]

Me neither, in fact I usually take a bottle of scotch and drink chasers :slight_smile:

Anyhow if you are there and I am too, [not sure at the moment because of conflicting schedules with the guys, 25th/26th, 4th/5th and I am taking a back seat this time on the organization] Lets have a few, on the last night. Send me a text, my cell is 0916 130 288.

After a harrowing series of confrontations with the hydrophobic girlfriend, I finally managed to complete my Open Water in the Philippines (and actually ran into several of you) this past CNY.

Needless to say, I am thoroughly bitten by the bug and am raring to go again…the sooner the better. I would appreciate any details on this planned trip that you could give me. I also like beer.

Some minor setbacks: I own none of my own equipment, and I have only been on 4 dives. Will that be a problem?

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I am looking for information on potential dive sites/shops off of the northern end of the island. I am a Taipei resident, and Kending isn’t exactly a stones throw away.

[quote=“Xiaoluo”]…

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I am looking for information on potential dive sites/shops off of the northern end of the island. I am a Taipei resident, and Kending isn’t exactly a stones throw away.[/quote]

That makes 2 of us. I got my Open Water in 1998, but have only had one dive since then (CNY this year). It would be nice to go with someone responsible that would not take to big risks, and that could keep an eye on us beginners. Up north or north/east.

[quote=“X3M”][quote=“Xiaoluo”]…

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I am looking for information on potential dive sites/shops off of the northern end of the island. I am a Taipei resident, and Kending isn’t exactly a stones throw away.[/quote]

That makes 2 of us. I got my Open Water in 1998, but have only had one dive since then (CNY this year). It would be nice to go with someone responsible that would not take to big risks, and that could keep an eye on us beginners. Up north or north/east.[/quote]

I don’t think the seas up North are going to be good for a month or two.

I am in no rush and will wait for spring/summer to do the diving refreshments. You could probably categorize me as a “comfort diver”.

Is there any other kind? :slight_smile:

Just finished my Open Water Course down in Kenting. Was a totally cool experience and one that will be repeated at every opportunity possible.
The Instructor was a Canadian named John Boo- nice guy, laid back…but can’t race a go-kart to save himself… :wink:
I did the Knowledge part in Taipei with Roland, also a nice guy and a good Instructor. Would strongly recommend either of these guys if you wish to take up SCUBA. (PM me for their contact details)
Oh, the water at Kenting was superb. 12-15 metre visibility, 22-24C, and did I mention the sun?? I feel like Im on holiday every time i go to Kenting…oh, I am on holiday every time I go there!
I’m taking Highway Starlet to Oz today, then off to dive Whale Island in Vietnam in a week or two…Looking forward to seeing some of you guys down under (water that is!)
Cheers, and safe diving!
Diver Dazz

I sense a forumosa dive club coming.

:sunglasses: Good idea

Is there any other kind? :slight_smile:[/quote]

Year-around-divers. Come rain or snow, I am going to dive anyway…