The shaving thread

Leather!

Anyway, I had this ancient razor set I bought at a flea market with separate blades that had this sharpening device with it.

1 Like

This is a plus 1 for shaving in the shower, takes care of multiple steps in one go. If not in the shower, i do use hot water first to get everything flexible haha.

I just used very hot water and cleansing mud , it helped.
I am waiting for Amazon to deliver my beard trimmer.

What side? Or whose?

which

It’s either us or them. At some point you’re going to have to choose a side or end up in no-man’s land.

Hot water and this;

images (16)

New disposable razor every week.

1 Like

Sounds expensive.

1 Like

My stubble is like wire. Any more than a few uses and that razor makes me look like I’ve been attacked by a raven.

2 Likes

And everyone knows what that looks like.

2 Likes

Regarding the hardware, do not use those disposable razors. Painful shaves and bad for the environment. You can go the double-edge safety-razor route or the Gillette Mach whatever route. If you go the safety-razor route, choose one that’s less aggressive (closed comb, I believe, but you’d better research that) and go for blades that are known to be less aggressive (ie. DON’T get Feather blades). Whatever you choose, shave with the grain, not against it. You won’t get as close of a shave, but it also won’t irritate your skin as much.

As for the software, Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap is the best, hands down. That lanolin is like angel kisses on the skin. If you can’t find that here or can’t order it from overseas, Proraso has some shaving creams and soaps for sensitive skin that are very good. Use a badger brush (not a boar brush), and don’t get the cheapest grade of badger hair the manufacturer offers. The more expensive it is, the softer it is on the face. Pair that with some Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Aftershave Cream and your face will thank you.

I always thought no one was supposed to shoot at no mans land. But Switzerland is prettier, as is Sweden.

I checked. One of them is Boots own, so I’m pretty blade-neutral.

NOT Boots as in marchin up and dahn again

[quote=“SlowRain, post:92, topic:202802, full:true”]
Regarding the hardware, do not use those disposable razors. Painful shaves and bad for the environment. You can go the double-edge safety-razor route or the Gillette Mach whatever route. If you go the safety-razor route, choose one that’s less aggressive (closed comb, I believe, but you’d better research that) and go for blades that are known to be less aggressive (ie. DON’T get Feather blades). Whatever you choose, shave with the grain, not against it. You won’t get as close of a shave, but it also won’t irritate your skin as much.

As for the software, Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap is the best, hands down. That lanolin is like angel kisses on the skin. If you can’t find that here or can’t order it from overseas, Proraso has some shaving creams and soaps for sensitive skin that are very good. Use a badger brush (not a boar brush), and don’t get the cheapest grade of badger hair the manufacturer offers. The more expensive it is, the softer it is on the face. Pair that with some Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Aftershave Cream and your face will thank you.[/quote]

There are up-market badgers?

There is no hope

2 Likes

Shaving when high might not be such a great idea :joy:

I applied 99% Aloe Vera and hot water while shaving. Worked like a dream.

1 Like

The one on the left must be 4 times better shave and last 4 times longer than the one on the right :rofl:

2 Likes

I wonder what the actual spec difference is ?