The Survival Guide in Taipei City: Taking Bus

You need to demonstrate your strengths and skills while taking bus in Taipei city.

After reading In Praise of Slow, I decided to slow down the pace of my life.
This morning I took a bus instead of riding scooter to my office because of the torrential rain.
I walked to the bus stop, humming Singing in the Rain, I felt happy because the rain brought me cool air.
Everyone was holding an umbrella in hand; the street blossomed with various umbrella flowers. Beautiful!

“The bus stop was empty during rush hours; it was kind of weird”, I thought.
A sign on the ground indicated the line people should stand in for awaiting the bus. I stood in the line and waited for my bus.
I saw my bus coming to the bus stop. Three ladies suddenly dashed to the stop. I stood back few steps because of being polite.

The bus came closer, getting stop slowly.

A crowd of Taiwanese abruptly showed up, rushing to the bus’ door. The crowd surrounded me.
“Where do they come from!”
“Where did they hide themselves!”
These questions were echoing in my mind.

Gees! Everyone jostled with everyone, pushing and squeezing each other.
The umbrella in everyone’s hand suddenly became a lethal weapon.
I tried hard to dodge their pushing, their jostling, and the most horrifically fetal umbrella attack.

I realized I was moving backwards by the crowd! I could feel the bus was fading away from my sight.
I tried to reach out to grab something for survival, But

The bus was gone; I was left behind.
My hair and dress got messed up and they were wet because of the rain.
And my umbrella was broken and my once-shining shoes got mud and wet.

So when taking bus in Taipei City

1. Be Aggressive! Don’t Be Polite!
    The rule of jungle is the aggressive animals get what ever they want.
  2. Don’t Wait in Line!
    If you do so, you would be blockaded. You would lose all of your defense.
  3. Bring A Thick Suitcase!
    You can shield yourself against the most horrifically fetal umbrella attack.
  4. Don’t be afraid of taking the advantage of those Office Ladies.
    They are not weak!

Like hyenas lieing in wait for the sick animal to die then they pounce!

Seriously buses during rush hour is like fighting a tribe of wildmen. Bring umbrellas into the mix and it’s like a mideval battlefield. People won’t even start letting people get off the bus before crowding the door. It’s fantastic!

If you do get in the waiting line make sure you are at the very front and start getting towards the door as soon as the bus gets near. Don’t wait for the bus to stop. Even if you fall in front of the bus it is going very slowly so at worst you get a few broken bones. :laughing:

Atleast the MRT isn’t as bad, people still let you get off… kinda.

That’s right! the scenarios is like this

It is terrible to take a bus in the rainy day ,especially during rush hours .
People want to get on the bus and go to office in time.
So they always " forget "to line up.
But if we can go to work by 30 mins earlier during rainy days.
Then we wont need to be like a jungle animal.

my preacher friend likes to call them “close fellowship sessions with your fellow man (woman, child)”

[quote=“kate.lin”]That’s right! the scenarios is like this

[/quote]

So is that you on top in the pic kate.lin? I guess I get what you mean with hair and dress messed up. :smiley:

I love the habit to not let people go off from a completly crowded bus/mrt/elevator ignoring the basic logic of “if its full you might need to make some space first to stuff something in”.

Maybe someone can even make a new business out of it: Survival training for public transport. Additional courses in “advanced tactics”, “successful offensive strategy” and “securing your flanks” are available. :laughing:

Thanks kate.lin for the story.

[quote=“mingshah”]

So is that you on top in the pic kate.lin? I guess I get what you mean with hair and dress messed up. :smiley:

Thanks kate.lin for the story.[/quote]

I like to entertain myself by turning some bad luck stories that happened to me into amuzing stories. One way of positive thinking, I think.

I have other bad lucky stories like Taking a Walk on Street, Seeing Movies in Second Round Theater, Scooter Riding Adventure, and Hair-Cutting in Halloween.

I like an Alien on the Earth, I think.

[quote=“kate.lin”]
I have other bad lucky stories like Taking a Walk on Street, Seeing Movies in Second Round Theater, Scooter Riding Adventure, and Hair-Cutting in Halloween.[/quote]

Is this collection available in book stores? Or anywhere else?

I get what you mean, actually I tend to do so too, even more when I tell people the story and not writing it down. It helps to laught about it and let you feel better immediately. Kind of self therapy I guess.

Maybe I should start an own collection too, write them down for myself. Could get a nice volume out of the last couple of years too.

So keep it coming, I mean, not that I wish you bad luck to get more stories, but…
:wink:

Those fetal umbrella attacks are only dangerous to pregnant women.

I do enjoy “Taking a Walk on the Street” from time to time but not when it changes to “Scooter Riding Adventure” in the middle.

My favorite story is Seeing Movies in Second Round Theaters. It was quiet funny. I would get it posted some time.

[quote=“wisher”]It is terrible to take a bus in the rainy day ,especially during rush hours .
People want to get on the bus and go to office in time.
So they always " forget "to line up.
But if we can go to work by 30 mins earlier during rainy days.
Then we wont need to be like a jungle animal.[/quote]

We don’t need to, we choose to… :frowning: