The Taiwan Salary Increases Thread

Really ? What about healthcare and education and transportation and lodging costs?
Something tells me this would not get you far.

Well, it’s poverty level if you have like a family of 6+. :wink:

But a salary with no time frame doesn’t provide much info. If you’re an old fart and that was like a 1980 salary, you were ballin’ for out of school. :smiley:

i just wanna buy a $10000 US house. Lmao

My friend in buffalo would have killed for $2700.

My dad got his PhD there and I lived there as a kid. That place is cheap AF.

That was 15 years ago. I just looked on USA jobs and the same job is $48K.

If that’s 40% higher than the USA average, then the US average is 34K. About right.

Even in Buffalo, you’re not getting a $10k house. The reason that your friend would kill for a $2700/month job in Buffalo is that it’s a old rust belt town that’s had fits and starts but never quite fully recovered from the collapse of mid west industry. It has a poverty rate of something like 30%. So yeah, it’s an ok salary for the area, but that’s due to the low baseline.

Who in the world besides Ralph Jennings classifies Taiwan as a middle income country.

1 Like

That’s because of the 30% poverty rate and lack of prospects.

Median (not mean, median) salary in the US is 26K. United States of America - Place Explorer - Data Commons

More like $34k

You’re right, my cursor was on the 2011 number when the search results turned up.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS846US846&sxsrf=ALeKk02imsMC2Xm5IJzGcvs8XtVh6PP3Dg%3A1613529498047&ei=moEsYMjxAYnH_QatrbTwBA&q=median+income+usa&oq=median+income+usa&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBwgjELECECcyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAo6BAgjECc6BQgAEJECOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoCCAA6CAgAELEDEIMBOgUIABCxAzoICC4QsQMQgwE6CgguEMcBEKMCEEM6CAguEMcBEKMCOgoIABCHAhDJAxAUOgUIABCSAzoNCAAQhwIQsQMQyQMQFDoICAAQsQMQyQNQqcpJWOzhSWDn40loA3AAeAGAAY0BiAGJDJIBBDE4LjOYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjIpsLk8e_uAhWJY98KHa0WDU4Q4dUDCA0&uact=5

But that’s still not much different from 2700 a month, so @Marco’s point remains.

But they still need doctors.

When I was there, most Asians were affiliated with the university, either students are faculty. You still can earn a professional salary and pay the same living costs as all the blue-collared folk.

A Big Mac is 55% less in Taiwan than the US.

I don’t think anyone didn’t think there’s not some better than average jobs just about everywhere, but sure, ok.

According to this video textile workers in Taiwan get paid less than in Vietnam.

That’s why textile companies move to Vietnam. To pay higher wages. Just kidding, they move to Laos and Myanmar.

3 Likes

That’s sus. My Chinese isn’t very good. Care to explain why they would get paid more than 1000 USD per month (roughly the minimum wage in Taiwan) in a country where average income is less than 250 dollars?

2 Likes

With the recent increase in NTD valuation, Taiwan’s nominal GDP per capita is higher than Spain and within 5% of Korea and Italy.

The video didn’t say.

Economy grows 3% and real wages only grow 1.7%.

While nominal average take-home pay only rose slightly last year, real average pay advanced 1.7 percent to NT$41,538, the largest increase over the past two decades, thanks to a 0.23 percent fall in the consumer price index (CPI), the data showed.

Back to the OP: Semiconductor revenue grew like what? 20%? Yet UMC is raising salaries only by 2-6%. Wage growth is still lagging behind overall growth.

2 Likes