The Taiwan Weather Thread 2017

Seriously? My sense is that at least in Taipei we’ve had some rain–but nothing that would warrant cancellations tomorrow.

I guess at least we can dare to dream! :yum:

Guy

They should be prepared to cancel work/class for Monday in Hualien. I don’t remember anything like this in the 10 years we’ve been here, even in typhoons - 3 days of just incessant torrential rain.

The waterfalls are looking lovely though, when the cloud thins a little.

1 Like

I hope you guys are OK! I just saw some images from the east coast, and it does look serious–more so than I thought.

Guy

I think I’ve seen it before in Hualian! It was about twelve years ago, when I flew from Kaohsiung to Hualian to spend a few days hiking in Taroko. And never left the city. This trip to Taroko has been equally successful.

But hey, the Salt Lick barbecue place is pretty good.

2 Likes

A township in pingdong recorded 1300mm of rain over the last 3 days.
Still raining here in yilan but in a regular way, the water is starting to flow to the sea and most roads are no longer underwater. It was definitely the most rain we’ve had outside of typhoons in recent yeArs.

1 Like

Spellchecker sorry No class no work in TAITUNG

1 Like

Technically speaking, this is the tail of a typhoon, the outer edges, as per Windity.

Screenshot_20171015-152736

Compared to

Screenshot_20171014-101015

It is moving further away, thank you for the rain, but enough is enough.

True, but it’s not a typhoon alone, it’s working in combination with the standard bad weather that comes from Japan in this period of the year. Without that, we wouldn’t have had so much rain.

Also, I think the technical term is not “outer edges”, but “typhoon’s ass”.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

That’s Latino levels of ass. J Lo like.

It was the same that happened in Central America. Just a brush and big disaster due to the heavy rain. October and November are the worst months in terms of rain.

My reaction this morning stepping outside…

3 Likes

On Monday! So I imagine it’s an evening ride for you before things get nasty again.

BLUE SKY YAHOO :sunglasses:

Was the correct decision to do the washing last night :grin:

Indeed.

However, temperatures will remain very high today, 31 degrees up North, Real Feel 39 or above.

When I woke and I heard water falling on the ground I started to think about punching some kittens. Then I realized it was the neighboring building’s water tank that was leaking. We had blue sky and sun in Yilan as well, neat!

1 Like

Weather app & reporting inquiry: in Danshui it’s been pouring since I got up, three hours ago. Yet of the weather apps on my phone …

… Weather underground says there’s light rain.
… Forecast bar says light rain until evening.
… Yahoo Weather says blustery (and dry).
… the native iOS Weather app says showers.
… Living Earth says light rain.

OK, I know that forecasting is a very inexact science, but why are all these apps so wrong on current conditions? What’s going on there? Or do I just have the wrong idea about what constitutes light rain?

You’re also in Taipei where it can be raining at one MRT station and bright and shiny at the next MRT station, which was only a 40 second ride away.

And I say fuck yeah. I could finally come to work by bicycle!

True - I’m never sure just how the phone is measuring my location. Does it cross-reference actual latitude/longitude data, or is it seeing “Oh, New Taipei City, OK, what do websites say for New Taipei City?” Which is a very sprawling area.

It does amuse/irk me how many times my alarm has gone off because I want to go for a bike ride, and I’ll check my phone, and it’ll say it’s raining, so I’ll think of going back to sleep - but maybe I’ll get up to peek out the window anyway, and it’s lovely. Or vice versa. I’ll get up to a “Sunny”, and look out and see rain.

In this kind of up and down weather, all you need is a small 10 minute window of no rain and just go out. If you’re on the way and you hit rain, there’s like a 90% chance you’ll be too lazy to turn around and go home…because you’re already wet. Might as well get a quick ride in.

Make sure you clean the bike when you get home :smiley: