The Taiwan Weather Thread 2018

Is this a new bilingual euphemism for taking a dump?

No, more for Great Aunt Millie’s funeral if you know what I mean.

Don’t worry, I won’t squeal to HR.

Rain for mushrooms.

That’s what we get for complaining about the heat.

Well, we are not out of the cold yet.

Was thinking, “Wow! He didn’t reference the ‘mercury’!” But then, there it was in the first sentence of the article… And two more times in the last paragraph. :doh:

3 Likes

He got three “balmys” in mind. That’s a top effort, most writers struggle to get just the one balmy in on a day-to-day basis.

K-man is kind of the Tommy Wiseau of Taiwanese English-language journalism.

Four if you include the intro under the title.

I like how the first two sentences start out exactly the same. His verbiage range is amazing!

My bet is that we’re looking at a translation. For example, “Though Taiwan will see balmy temperatures as high as 30 degrees in northern Taiwan today, however …” sounds like a translation as this is how you would see it in written Chinese.

The provenance of his work is intriguing. A lot of the content is translated and it seems there’s little actual reportage going on. Appending his byline is probably questionable in some cases as he’s really just subbing the material. Alternatively his own writing could well be being edited by a non-native speaker.

Mods: can we move this to the K-man’s dedicated thread?

It’s a bit too hot under the sun, but the wind is still nice and fresh.

Today for the first time this year I was attacked by a black drongo, feelsbadman but I knew it was coming.

1 Like

Really dark and gloomy outside. Fierce thunderstorm in the works.

Maybe we will see hail too as Green Island?

Looks like a similar pattern tomorrow. I’m glad I got in my run this morning. I see no rain on Saturday. I hope that holds.

I feel you, bro, this shit drives me friggin mental, like where I come from, with
every
single
fucking
weatherman
incessantly referring to the snow as “the white stuff” and acting like he’s friggin Richard Lewis inventing “from hell”.

Yeah, screw you, shitbird, I got your “white stuff” right here

lol why did it attack you?

During their nesting season they become very aggressive, attacking other animals to protect their area. They leave cars and motorbikes alone, and if ride faster than 30km/h they don’t bother me, but if I’m slowly coasting around they swoop on my head non stop for hundreds of meters.

Which for me it’s a retarded behaviour, because if I was a cat my reaction would be:“oh sweet, those fuckers have a nest around here, let’s find it!”

I also dislike them because I’ve seen them attack several sparrows, they bully animals that are no threat to them. Sparrows are much smaller and the can get injured or worse.

Swallows fly so fast that they can kick drongos’ butt 24/7, I’ve witnessed some glorious fights near my home.

damn

Is it just me, or does “drongo” sound like some kind of weird Ozzie slang?

I think someone mentioned that the term “drongo” is used to describe criminals or something like that, can’t remember which country though…it was on some thread last year!