The Taiwan Weather Thread 2018

Now that we’re almost halfway through our month of rain, I hope everyone’s holding up ok. Stay safe all - we can get through it.

(I’ve just jinxed the island, haven’t I?)

Yep.

Though a drought ain’t funny either.

Once again I ask: what’s the forecast for this typhoon season?

It should be an average year, so more action compared to 2017 which was extremely mild. A couple of things to mention:

a) The extra action compared to last year MIGHT happen more to the South than usual, resulting in more events for the Philippines, HK, Vietnam etc

b) Very often most forecast agencies will miss intensity/direction of typhoons up until 2/3 days before landfall, so any generic “summer average” forecast made now has to be taken with a pinch of salt because if Taiwan only gets impacted by 2 typhoons over the whole Summer but they end up being Category 7 + tsunami + alien invasion then the “average forecast” isn’t very helpful.

1 Like

Expect lots of mosquitos!

La Niña effect?

I’ve run out of buckets for the leaky roof. Otherwise the garden’s looking lovely for this time of year and the ducks are having a fine time of it.

1 Like

I can’t stop laughing about the illustration chosen for this piece about today being the hottest day so far this year in Taipei:

Really worried about my pets. There is little ventialtion in teh house now as I closed the windows because today they were going to spary outside for mosquitoes and other bugs. But that means the house must be really hot. No air circulation.

The photo they chose is so random…I guess they had to chose between that and a pic of Harambe, and “no girls - 2 cups” won with 5 votes against 3.

1 Like

Might consider keeping a small fan on for them. Gf’s old roommate did that for her cat.

Zero balmys in that piece. K will not be happy.

When it gets pretty bad, I levae the AC on a while for them. But I did not expect today to be so hot, and having to close everything because of the incoming poison from the street.

I undertsnad they have to spray agaisnt dengue mosquitos but for Pete’s sake, doe sthe cloud have to rise to teh second floor?!

1 Like

My daughter’s dog only got AC to 28C. And then i change it to 26 when i get home.

Living on banked winter temps, too. Pretty soon all the brick/tile/marble will warm up completely to ambient (air) temperature, and then it’s katy bar the door and let the Big Bake begin.

Doesn’t help that here in Hsinchu whatever wind we have during the day falls off to just 5-6kph in the evening. At least we haven’t turned on the A/C yet, just some strategically placed tower fans. Not far off, though, the A/C.

All my ACs are broken. SAMPO wants to take the machine away…dunno how long. Panasonic needs to come Monday to Friday and evaluate the situation first.

Sigh.

When you turn them on, does any of your ACs sound like “meow!” or "“pffff!”?

#rekt

The AC in our bedroom was broken as well, it would randomly turn on during, which was quite annoying back in January. The Daikin guy replaced the motherboard-looking thing and fixed it in 30 seconds flat, so we can enjoy a balmy bedroom now.

sex?

My lawyer suggests me not to answer that question.

I KNOW I wrote “in the night” but it’s not there…this is some NWO bullshit going on right now, wtf…

My experience today:

Woke up at sunrise after spending the night getting raped by mosquitoes that apparently found a way to sneak in my bedroom. Now I probably have malaria, aids and ebola.

I immediately noticed that even though the Sun was low on the horizon it was already bloody hot.

I went to my balcony and my feeling was confirmed: it’s like an oven

I check my regular websites: no typhoon forming, Kilauea hasn’t exploded yet, no tsunami, just some people butthurt about the Us embassy in Jerusalem. Feelsbadman.

I get on my bike and leave the security of my rice fields, heading in direction of the civilized world.

I reach the town and I suddenly realize every girl is wearing shorts that are shorter than my boxers.

Summer isn’t too bad.

2 Likes

1 Like