The Taiwan Weather Thread 2020

Beautiful pre-Typhoon weather on the north east coast today!

9 Likes

Yup, a magnificent day in north Taiwan!

Guy

1 Like

Gotta love those sudden rain showers when you pull out your umbrella, and you’re walking, and suddenly the rain stops, and you look up to see what cover you’ve walked under. But there’s no cover, and you look behind, and see the wall of rain receding in the distance.

One of the coolest cycling experiences I’ve ever had was keeping just ahead of one of those walls of rain for a minute or two, many years ago. Really weird fantastic feeling, hearing and seeing the rain coming down behind me, but it didn’t quite catch up for a while. Then the road bent or something, and I quickly got drenched.

2 Likes

A wall of rain is one thing, but that one today had electric fingers probing outwards in all directions too.

Really heavy rain, thunder and lightning in Taitung right now. Usually summer thunderstorms stay out to sea, but this one’s over land. Flash followed almost immediately by thunder crash.

Expect really bad pollution from China today and tomorrow, all Western Taiwan affected.

2 Likes

What’s happening outside now? Rain isn’t new but I don’t think that I’ve ever heard thunder like this in Taiwan before.

It’s the end of days.

Hot days ahead.

Guy

2 Likes

Things have cooled down the last few days. Just 23C here now (forecast says 28 tomorrow) and we have not turned the AC on today.

1 Like

Chatting with a friend in Vancouver and we were both remarking on how cool it had gotten- there, 13 degrees; here, we finally got below 30.

1 Like

We even made it through the night without AC (though we had a fan on).

Pulled the old jacket outta the closet. Wrap up people, winters here!

1 Like

Electric bill will go down and Gas bill will go up.

1 Like

And that is why I do not use gas…

I did it folks! I survived summer without AC at home. :banana:

4 Likes

Wow that’s good.
Me, I can’t we have a toddler at home.

are you crazy

1 Like

Are you sure you didn’t externalize your AC cost by betting on the fact that the neighbor uses them and so the cooling effect ripples into your house, thereby causing you to use less, or eliminate AC.

Now if you lived on a rooftop or something, then try going without AC.

Hasn’t been that bad a summer, the humidity certainly stayed away. Just got my electricity bill for the last 2 months, NT$5,700 for a 4 bedroom with central air some of which is on pretty much 24/7, 4 dehumidifiers on 24/7, same period last year was well over NT$10K. With the lower humidity we were running the aircons at several degrees higher set temperature, either that or the meter got tired of spinning around at high speed…