The Taiwan Weather Thread 2020

1 Like

This does not look good. There may be snow, at least sleet, in mountains under 2000 meters.

I can assure you that @lostinasia was indeed not born yesterday.

1 Like

Eh, I had someone else recommending I invest in this new-fangled invention called a “cheese grater” the other day, so I must come across as pretty dim.

Still, a day with no change in temperature at all would be noteworthy.

Where is my snow gear?

4 Likes

How often does it normally get so cold in Taipei in winter? Is this something which will likely happen many times this winter or is this more like a one-time only event?

One time only normally but this year who knows…

2 Likes

I vaguely remember when my family went up to Hehuanshan back in the mid 80s there were ski lifts on the slopes. People actually were able to ski for a good while during the winter back then. Of course I wasn’t even 10 years old, so my memories could be wrong.

Found a video of people visiting the ruins of the ski lifts.

2 Likes

Wednesday will be December 30th…

Oh yeah. Um, in lieu of what a shit year it has been who knows how this winter will pan out.

People used to ski on Hehuanshan as the dilapidated ski lift attests. According to this ski instructor, the peak used to be snow-covered for more than a month a year. Skiing was possible when they got more than 20 cm of snow. The good old days before climate change.

2 Likes

They make it look so easy.

The average temperature in Taiwan this year was 24.62 degrees Celsius, the highest since the country began keeping climate records in 1947, said Lu Kuo-chen (呂國臣), director of the bureau’s Weather Forecast Center.

It also surpassed the previous record set in 2019, when Taiwan saw an annual average temperature of 24.55 degrees, he said.

Temperatures in every month except for April and October placed among the top 10 in history for their respective months, according to Lu.

5 Likes

Just to be clear: I gave slawa’s post a like because it’s important we all understand what is happening with climate here—not because I think a hotter Taiwan is a good thing!

Guy

5 Likes

Thanks, now I know it’s not my imagination. Taiwan is indeed getting hotter each year. I don’t even remember what fall or spring here feels like anymore.

“Looking ahead, the coming spring in Taiwan may be cooler and drier than usual following a continuous La Nina episode, according to Lu.”

Lies, all lies. It gonna rain till the end of days.

2 Likes

I think we had about 10 days of it this year in Taipei. Then straight to winter grey and rain.

It was a great 10 days though! : D

Guy

2 Likes

1999, 2016, snow in Yangmingshan…

I was checking the archives for something else and I bumped into a bunch of pictures that looked like Japan in winter. Nope, Yangmingshan with 20 cm snow.

As to the drunken, what is going on weather:

I rest my case.

2 Likes

2016 was seriously cold. I remember dumping my scooter on Xinhai Rd and running to NTU because the windchill must have been close to zero.

2 Likes

24 January 2016 if I remember. My partner had been to Portugal and arrived back that day - when the Taipei Maximum was 6C and it had snowed on Yangmingshan. I couldn’t read the Chinese on the AC Remote and thus couldn’t turn it on to heat the apartment, so it was freezing inside. And then, after partner arrived in the late afternoon, placed a folder on a Glass Top coffee table - which suddenly shattered, cold had made it brittle.

3 Likes