The Taiwan Weather Thread 2021

Well now. What ever was happening in Taipei has now come to the north coast.

Dark, thunder, lightning, pounding rain. But, the rain feels really good and has cooled down the outside courtyard.

3 Likes

Barely had a drop of rain here in Taipei Xinyi even though the radar shows heavy rain.

Ditto.

Guy

Seems that the rain and Thunderstorms over the past few days have filled Shimen Reservoir. The usual ‘environmental flow’ of the Dahan River at Yingee has now been replaced by a well running flow, that has been at least 1m higher than what I saw whilst taking some exercise this morning going by the debris and ‘high tide’ marks.

5 Likes

Thunder and Lightning by Chi Coltrane, 1972. Had the album.

Well, with “Thunder and lightning”, “Very very frightening”, I was trying to reference Queen, but other references are welcome!

3 Likes

Galileo, Galileo!

1 Like

It’s thunderbolts and lightning.

1 Like

Oops. I did actually do a very quick Google check to make sure I had it right, but apparently Google also links to memories as inaccurate as mine!

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking Queen as well

2 Likes

On its way to Taipei from the south.

2 Likes

As soon as my clothes are done washing and I need to walk to the dryer :woman_facepalming:

Something is cooking in Taipei . . .

Guy

1 Like

Flooding in Tainan and Kaohsiung.

Good lord. Went from a slight rain to typhoon before I could get my clothes back inside.

Was this supposed to happen?

Yes.

Guy

In Danshui it’s been like this several days this week. Nice in the morning, clouds and heavy rain sweeping in around lunchtime, and things getting nicer again in the last afternoon.

But we are getting an impressive lightning display over Yangmingshan!

My ForecastBar weather app continues to predict, day after day, that the next day will have rain all day. Then at some point in the middle of the night it changes to a more accurate forecast of a nice morning with clouds and rain later - but the next day’s forecast will be for rain all day. And, repeat. The Windy app seems to be doing a better job.

2 Likes

I’m not that far from you and though we’ve had a bit of rain each day, nothing near what is happening now.

I have essentially given up using forecast apps because, like yours, they generally predict that it will rain all day. I believe that I have a thread here some place about what apps are useful and, believe, the answer is next to none.

1 Like

I guess this weather is why the apps don’t work that well? The rain yesterday in Danshui was heavier than what I’ve seen so far today. The weather winds up so localized here. It does confuse me that the apps don’t seem to see the pattern that every day the morning is nice, and then it clouds over later.

Oo, more lightning! Fun!

Are we still supposed to turn off computers when there are plenty of nearby lightning strikes?

1 Like

It was like the fire brigade showed up and just jet hosed my balcony-cage. Do I wash these clothes again?

2 Likes