The Taiwan Weather Thread 2021

Aaaaand: just in time for ranlee’s commute!

Guy

1 Like

Seriously…I’ve had to ride over 109/NanShen Rd a few times in the past few months, but every freakin time it has rained cats and dogs.

That place is cursed

3 Likes

A brilliant evening in northern Taiwan. If you’re able to get out, enjoy it!

Guy

3 Likes

means hot, I hate hot.

1 Like

A cracker.

2 Likes

Yup. Lovely late afternoon ride up and over some hills and then along the riverside paths into Taipei City for a take-out dinner (Uncle Philly cheesesteak) in a park and sunset - and back to Danshui through dusk and darkness. Gorgeous skies, and now Jupiter’s bright in the east and Venus is bright in the west.

And not all that hot either. The past week or two have been significantly more comfortable (er, less awful?) than what we had in July.

But I have mixed feelings about all the families out riding their bikes. Good for them for going out! Great to see families having fun together outside! But … a) at least try to make sure your kids stay on their side of the path, b) lights? Reflectors? Oh wow did I have to slow down after dark, with invisible kids weaving across the paths.

EDIT: Nice looking AQI numbers tonight, with a couple of “What’s going on there?!”:

4 Likes

Schools are not teaching it and mom/dad did not get taught when growing up. Not much we can do except slow down.

1 Like

I’d say we see quite a lot of miseducation, not from the school system but from clueless parents, who blissfully stroll (walking, not biking) in the middle of bike lines with their kiddies in tow . . .

Guy

2 Likes

I even have to make people ride anti clockwise on my criterion circuit. I don’t mind kids on trikes, I just treat them as road furniture, but people riding the wrong way towards you when you’re cranking big watts is very disconcerting.

A lot of road habits are just transposed onto bike riding.

Will things improve? Dare to dream!

Guy

1 Like

Thunder in Taipei?

Gotta flee to Assgard, because Thor’s hammer is hammering, have to guard the ass from thor’s hammer.

:blue_heart:

HEAT ALERT

38 degrees forecast for tomorrow in Taipei/New Taipei.

1 Like

I.e. High pressure heat before the storm arrives.

Guy

1 Like

FYI

All north coast beaches are closed for Typhoon effective at 08:30 today.

We were in the water surfing at Baishawan from 08:00-09:30 and got booted out. There’s no danger, so it’s really stupid, but it is what it is.

Don’t even bother coming because you can’t even walk on the beach. Ludicrous!

See how dangerous it looks? Sorry about the blurry iPhone pics. Gotta get the camera fixed.

Here’s the official notification. The surf rescue team showed us a lot of love by letting us rip until 09:30, a whole hour later than the official closing time of 08:30. Nice. It was windy, but the waves had good power.

7 Likes

It’s the salt on your lenses. And we hate you for having that problem.

With the typhoon coming, we have an astonishing sunset now in northern Taiwan. Wow!

Guy

2 Likes

A friend took these.

4 Likes

Baishawan

4 Likes