The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

Yeah, but is it still as bad as the forecast said a couple of days ago? need to check windy again.

Super duper mayor Ko is down in Taichung campaigning and said his underlings follow SOP. Hence, I deduce our hopes for a day off are, well, off.

Prime minister Su was at the Central Emergency Operations Center, checking on the situation. But that was earlier.

2 Likes

The amount of precipitation forecast for tomorrow has dropped.

BUT there’s still been heaps of rain dumped on the northeast and the mountains in the north. This has not been mild at all. :neutral_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Guess who I trust more with governing.

Guy

1 Like

That was my impression.

Hopefully we aren’t going to have more nasty surprises.

Already we’ve had car pile ups (this was on Saturday), flooding in Xizhi, and collapsed hillsides, as discussed in this thread:

Guy

2 Likes

I wonder if we really have that anti storm shield:

Also folks trapped due to a landslide on the northern cross highway at Datong in Yilan (what the heck were they doing up there during weather like this).

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202210160018

Sorry @mad_masala this has not been “mild” or “meh” as you put it earlier.

Guy

1 Like

Hmmmm really?

I know that still means rain, but… why so much less? I guess it’s something to do with the ocean.

No, what I mean a few messages ago is that the rain predictions for Monday provided a couple of days ago seemed to be worse than the prediction as provided today. But actually I could be wrong.

You are not wrong. But the point is that all this accumulated rain (there will be more tomorrow) can cause real trouble, including the aforementioned landslides.

Here is some specific detail about this now:

Guy

1 Like

Sorry, the images I posted are wind and not rainfall. Stupid windy… or stupid me.

And people are still fishing, as per news report.

1 Like

Hey just saw a piece of blue sky in Taipei!

Better weather than expected and forecasted.

1 Like

Hope no one was using the portaloo at the time

3 Likes

I got the alerts. It’s in the Baiyun area. Up Xiding Road a bit then veer to the left up to Baiyun Temple. Xiding Road is popular for cyclists. Some brave ones go up to Baiyun temple but that’s quite steep in some places. And there have been landslides on that road in the past. I’m not surprised that this latest rain caused more.

3 Likes

Landslide red alert in Google Maps. Zhishan Road area.

3 Likes

I hope the construction crew was ok and that no casualties means no injuries.

2 Likes

I hope today will rain much less?

For Tamsui at least, windy.com is still predicting higher precipitation today than it predicted yesterday, and with heavier rain in the afternoon than we’re currently having (and it’s pretty darn awful right now).

Mind you, I’m not sure if it under- or over-predicted yesterday.