The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

I was hoping more trees/less building crowding would cool K-town. :sob:

Being closer to the water helps.

When you get further away inland but still on the plains, watch out!

Guy

Kaohsiung is more like a dry heat. Even the missus agrees, and she was born/raised in Taipei and initially could not even think of leaving her hometown.
She was up there a week or 2 ago and the heat was unbearable to her, compared to down here.
Temps are typically 1-3C below Taipei in summer.
And as for winter, you know how Taipei can be like. Kaohsiung in 20s.

3 Likes

Tropical storm to bring rain soon. Bummer. I really wanted to head to a watering hole or the ocean while in Hualien this weekend.

2 Likes

Amidst nice sunny skies, wunderground is forecasting an insane amount of rain—nearly 10 cm—after lunch today. :grimacing:

Guy

5 Likes

Are there specific areas in Taipei/New Taipei that are relatively cooler than other parts? How about Tamsui?

I got caught in one of those storms today, around five minutes walk from home, without an umbrella. I forgot how quickly you could get totally drenched in this country!

It was maybe around an hour of heavy rain, thunder, and lightning in Danshui. It’s eased off (for?) now.

2 Likes

I’m seeing a drop in temps to 27 degrees during the storm. Then the skies clearing up at night. Wasn’t this spring weather before?

1 Like

It’s clearly now summer.

Well, without a lot of the usual mangos—one report I read said we can expect 10% of last year’s total—as they apparently got smashed during this year’s soggy spring.

Guy

2 Likes

In my mind this is classic Taipei summer weather: gorgeous blue skies in the morning but about five or six degrees higher than I’d like; afternoon clouds sweeping in to bring storms; evenings mostly dry and somewhat cooler.

But my mind is wrong about a lot of things!

2 Likes

Sounds pretty accurate to me!

The hardest part for me to get used to is the frequently pitch black weather after lunch. That just messes me up. :neutral_face:

Guy

4 Likes

I’m going to take advantage of that in a few minutes to watch a movie on the sofa. Normally the living room is too bright in the afternoon. So for once the darkness is a win!

3 Likes

I like this glass-half-full approach. Enjoy the film!

Guy

1 Like

It is going to be a long summer. Not nice when the heat goes up a notch here.

No, no nooooo

We’re talking 41 degrees Real Feel here.

3 Likes

Issue Time: 2022/07/19 11:53

1. Taipei City, New Taipei City, Yilan County, Hualien County, Taitung County,

Orange Signal (Daily maximum temperature reaches 36°C for three consecutive days) in effect from late this morning (07/19) through late this afternoon (07/19)

1. Changhua County, Nantou County, Yunlin County, Pingtung County,

Yellow Signal (Daily maximum temperature reaches 36°C) in effect from late this morning (07/19) through late this afternoon (07/19)
https://www.cwb.gov.tw/V8/E/P/Warning/W29.html

2 Likes

It’s hot out here on the north coast!

2 Likes

Where is the temple.

what?
the last 2 provide culture?
the others already do

1 Like