The Taiwan Weather Thread 2024

Still cloudy in the capital, but at least the pounding rain has stopped.

Guy

Some clouds but not overcast, and cool from the rain. If i didn’t have something on my schedule I’d go for a hike

Air quality is green, I’ll probably see the mountains over in Pingtung on my ride to work

3 Likes

Big downpour with thunder in Taipei City just now.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Heavy rain and wind in Danshui at the moment. Probably going to be one of those days with scattered storms all over the place.

1 Like

We had a pretty big one mid-afternoon in Taipei. At least it brought the temperature down.

I lament the return of summer heat this past week. The beginning of a four month slog of sweat. :sunny:

1 Like

2 Likes

Pretty strong downpour in Taipei City at the moment. Once again bringing welcome relief from the heat. For the time being anyway.

1 Like

No rain in Danshui so far today, but one of those storms is sweeping across the hills and down upon us now. I love watching that advancing curtain obscuring the hills and mountains. Well, as long as I’m already inside, I love watching it.

Hm, or maybe that column of rain is actually turning north and will miss me.

2 Likes

I’m envious of your view. I would love to watch that roll in.

Just back from a supermarket run and had to wade through another downpour, though shorter and weaker. Now the aftereffect I expected is here; humidity you could practically swim through.

Black as night in Taipei with lots of lightning and thunder. Isn’t this a bit late in the year for these daily afternoon thundershowers? I really need to head out to pick up something, but I’ll try to wait this out.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m supposed to head out for a doctor’s appointment around 3:30 p.m. too. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Debating whether to reschedule.

1 Like

I ain’t going nowhere

1 Like

Btw, Mr Bear, it’s possible that more large-scale protests will happen tonight around the Legislative Yuan.

You missed the action last time, and here is your PSA to make sure you don’t miss it again tonight (I am sure the weather will calm down by the evening as this looks like typical summer time afternoon thundershowers).

Guy

I thought this is about right: in my memory this is a June-July thing, along with the bluer skies we had this morning.

1 Like

It’s good to know it’s just my memory failing me (not anything new), and not yet another sign of anything more sinister going on with the weather globally.

1 Like

This just looks like typical summer weather in the capital: hot sunny mornings followed by thundershowers in the afternoon. Even when I know it’s coming, I still can’t get used to darkness midafternoon—it messes me up!

Guy

3 Likes

Absolutely beautiful day down here

2 Likes

Bastard! :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

The one where I don’t trust my memory is plum rains. They existed this year, yes. But most of my years in Taipei I think they’ve been a myth. Yet whenever I express this opinion people look at me like I’m mad.

2 Likes