The Taiwan Weather Thread

i know what you mean. I used to live in xi jhih, which is one of the wettest places in the known universe and i never thought i would miss rain again, but i do. It feels like forgiveness when it comes.

[quote=“dulan drift”]
I know what you mean. I used to live in xi jhih, which is one of the wettest places in the known universe…[/quote]

I think Bitan might have gotten more. People used to ask if it was crowded at Bitan. Yeah on sunny Sunday afternoons. So twice a year.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“dulan drift”]
I know what you mean. I used to live in xi jhih, which is one of the wettest places in the known universe…[/quote]

I think Bitan might have gotten more. People used to ask if it was crowded at Bitan. Yeah on sunny Sunday afternoons. So twice a year.[/quote]

I’m sure David Attenborough would be impressed by the extent that people have adapted and even thrived in conditions of extreme dampness in certain areas of Taiwan - that were previously thought to be unliveable.

Yeah, you often see that in the rainfall graphics - follows the borders almost perfectly. I’m interested to know exactly how the counties were carved up, and when?

Anyone know that?

This is an old image but it illustrates your point. Quite heavy rain in certain counties but barely a drop in the adjoining ones.

That’s a similar pattern to this Saturday just gone, although with far more rainfall.

Saturday was quite insane down in the HuaDong valley. There was thick low cloud at about 100m altitude, and steady heavy rain. Standing in the middle of the valley, you couldn’t even see the lower slopes of either the Central or Coastal Ranges. We drove south, and south some more, and finally the rain stopped in Chishang. Still very cloudy though.

I don’t know for certain but just by looking at a topographic map it appears like a lot of the internal borders follow watersheds (e.g. high mountain ridges). Since the Central Mountain Range is mostly north-south and weather patterns tend to be east-west you’ll often get a lot of rain on one side and not the other, almost perfectly matching the boundaries when the conditions are right.

Here’s the annual mean rainfall, which is more diffuse across the CMR:

Not great for sightseeing then. Hope you got lots of pictures of the grey void for Icon.

X, thanks for the rainfall chart. I see some places are getting 6000mm+!!! That’s 115 mil a week.

Pretty decent dong bei ji fong kicked up today as that coldfront came through. Sea looked great. White caps against a backdrop of surly clouds and then that soft, eerie light you get when the late afternoon sun seeps into the dome.

That rainfall map confirms my suspicions that Nanshan (heading up the Luoyang valley from Yilan towards Lishan) must be the most forlorn place on the island.
To cap it off when you’re there, you’re surrounded by cabbages.

[quote=“Xeno”]

[/quote]

I miss Taichung’s weather now that I live in a purple area ;_; (Yilan)

[quote=“Nuit”]That’s a similar pattern to this Saturday just gone, although with far more rainfall.

Saturday was quite insane down in the HuaDong valley. There was thick low cloud at about 100m altitude, and steady heavy rain. Standing in the middle of the valley, you couldn’t even see the lower slopes of either the Central or Coastal Ranges. We drove south, and south some more, and finally the rain stopped in Chishang. Still very cloudy though.[/quote]

Ok, where are the pics? Just the rice fields, OK?

Finally, some welcome rain in Taidong. About 15mm in the guage this morning - presumably from the outflow of the tropical depression passing through the ppe. Seems to be another one behind it, so maybe i can get my tanks half-full by the end of next week.

Looks like a cold front and big winds coming through on Sunday night or Monday morning so expect a bit of a temperature plunge in Taipei.

I wrote to CWB about getting some historical data for the driest and hottest ever years to see how this one compares - someone wrote a nice letter back saying ‘sure, we’ve got all that, but you have to pay for it.’

Looks like some rain everywhere next week. :pray:

And a big temp drop in the north (or back to normal).

Good and bad news: El nin~o means this winter could be warmer than the past few years (yay!) but also drier, with little rain coming before Feb.

If you live in the north then that sounds like good news… and even better news!

CWB has Taidong at 30%pop (it’s nearly always at 30%) - and with a heavy rain warning. In fact it is raining steadily - the outflow from the tropical storm is feeding straight into us now.

Here’s the chart for Sunday night, 8pm. Looks like this system is gonna hit taipei sometime through the night. As a friend once said to me about taipei, ‘the day you turn off your airconditioner is the day you turn on your heater’. That day is Monday. High of 31 on Sun to a low of 14 the next evening.

First real winter storm of the season. Came through Taidong like a freight train at 6am this morning with typhoon-like winds but not much rain so far.

I’m hoping this week’s storm brings some much needed rain. At least brings some rain somewhere on this island.

Crazy weather. 31 degrees during the weekend, now 16… and there is a typhoon on the way!

Yeah, is it possilbe? Until yesterday at least, it did still feel like a typhoon could be possible - warm to hot and light southerly winds - and now there is something heading vaguely towards us. Still got to be a huge long shot and i will believe it if it happens - but worth watching all the same.

Wild blast of winter weather this morning. Little bit of rain, big winds, and bloody cold (for Taidong).

Checked the typhoon frequnecy for Taiwan in Dec - seems there’s never been a typhoon make landfall from Dec-Mar. Just two typhoons made landfall this year, which is down on the ave of 3.58, and both in southern taiwan. Furthermore, there were only a couple more typhoons that stayed south of taiwan - and they are the ones that bring the rain - hence the dry year i suppose.

Month Landfall Ave
Apr: 2 ---- 0.02
May: 14 ---- 0.13
Jun: 28 ---- 0.26
Jul: 92 ---- 0.86
Aug: 121 ---- 1.13
Sept: 87 ---- 0.81
Oct: 31 – -- 0.29
Nov: 8 ---- 0.07

Full year: 383 – 3.58

[quote=“dulan drift”]Wild blast of winter weather this morning. Little bit of rain, big winds, and bloody cold (for Taidong).

Checked the typhoon frequnecy for Taiwan in Dec - seems there’s never been a typhoon make landfall from Dec-Mar. Just two typhoons made landfall this year, which is down on the ave of 3.58, and both in southern Taiwan. Furthermore, there were only a couple more typhoons that stayed south of Taiwan - and they are the ones that bring the rain - hence the dry year i suppose.

Month Landfall Ave
Apr: 2 ---- 0.02
May: 14 ---- 0.13
Jun: 28 ---- 0.26
Jul: 92 ---- 0.86
Aug: 121 ---- 1.13
Sept: 87 ---- 0.81
Oct: 31 – -- 0.29
Nov: 8 ---- 0.07

Full year: 383 – 3.58[/quote]

I just got back from a trip to Dulan. My first time there, I really liked it. There was excellent weather over the weekend and then early Monday morning the wind blew in some very different weather. Yesterday wasn’t bad though. It was just about warm enough to swim in the ocean and the sun did manage to poke some holes through the clouds at certain points of the day.