The Taiwan Weather Thread

Luxury!

Luxury![/quote]

30 degrees indoors, 9am. :cry:

Don’t you have to leave Taiwan for that?

Don’t you have to leave Taiwan for that?[/quote]

Now that’s a problem. However, there are certain, ehem, sites -Tumblr for instance- with plenty of Taiwanese muscular guys. It stands to logic that they can be seen somewhere in the flesh around Taipei.

Luxury![/quote]

30 degrees indoors, 9am. :cry:[/quote]

Huh. I’m outside, digging post holes in the blazing sun. And loving it. And for good measure i’ve wrapped myself in plastic wrap just to ramp it up a notch and acclimatize myself for what’s coming.

Well, if I had to be outside, I’d be all wrapped up like a burrito but because of lack of melanin. Love those huge bamboo hats farmers here wear for that reason.

Don’t you have to leave Taiwan for that?[/quote]

Now that’s a problem. However, there are certain, ehem, sites -Tumblr for instance- with plenty of Taiwanese muscular guys. It stands to logic that they can be seen somewhere in the flesh around Taipei.[/quote]

Most of the guys I see are skinny. Don’t see that many Taiwanese guys with muscle. I think you’re in the wrong country if you want muscle bound guys.

We are not talking about fridge set, here. Taiwanese are just fine for me, I tell ya.

Chance of some rain for the north tonight as a new mei yu front edges towards Taiwan. Doesn’t look too serious at this stage but might intensify and should cool things down a bit.

Yep, just escaped a midday shower -not nice as I am wearing new sandals- but it stopped as quickly as it started. Nevertheless, the skies over Taipei are overcast. One wishes though an afternoon shower would have some cooling effect over the threatening heat.

The front is building in the north west today - should get some action up there.

Can’t see any serious rain for the south east for the next week.

Yep. Here in Xindian heavy rain started after lunchtime, really caught strength at 3, and still going at 4pm. Almost typhoon like.

The story of this Mei Yu is fast becoming the lack thereof. Sure, the south got thumped a few weeks ago, but since then it has receded to the north and is stubbornly refusing to come back to mamma. In 10 days time we can kiss it good-bye.

Taipei, with an ave rainfall of 375 mm for June is stranded on 34 and no serious rain forecast for the next week at least. That will take us past the half way mark forJune and in theory the first half should be some of the wettest weather of the year.

Taidong has barely troubled the scorer with less than 1 mil and no rain forecast for the next week. And whereas thunderstorms can happen in Taipei virtually all through summer, there is no rain in Taidong outside typhoons once the Mei Yu finishes.

This is the chart for a week from now. It shows the Mei Yu front stuck in virtually the same position it’s in today. That spells an early start to a long summer.

Well, they removed all water restrictions since -they said- reservoirs had more than 50% capacity. My colleague was grumbling that they counted their chicks too soon. Might be true as it is expected to be very dry until mid June.

Honestly, those walls of rain over the weekend were really worrisome. And the temperature is high and dry. 31 degrees indoors -wearing a tank top at work. Remember, mayor Ke said we should come to work in shorts and short sleeves to save on air conditioning. Yesterday it was shorts, today is short sleeves.

Looks like there is a serious storm going on in parts oi Taipei, especially the Gong Guan - Chung He area. According to CWB there has been 127mm of rain in Gong Guan in the last hour!!!

Yup, it was really coming down! Second day in a row in Taipei with heavy, almost torrential, rain in the afternoon. For better or worse, summer has arrived!

Guy

Got caught in it riding my bike to Sanxia. The sky looked almost black over Taipei. :thumbsup:

Yep, floods extending through Keelung Road and Gongguan area.

Careful out there!

[quote=“Icon”]Yep, floods extending through Keelung (Jilong) Road and Gongguan area./quote]

I used to work in Yong He and i remember once a year at least there would be this incredible afternoon thunder storm and deluge - usually in late June. Riding through it on your scooter is like being a stuntman in some Hollywood disaster movie with visible sky to earth lightning strikes detonating all around you. Seems it came a bit early this year but i guess that was it. It wasn’t the Mei Yu coz that’s well north - just an old fashioned afternoon sky fall. Wish i was there to see it.

I did check the world record for an hour’s rainfall - supposedly 305 mil fell in an hour in Missouri in 1947 - so well short of that - but still, 127 mil is five inches. In an hour. That’s an inch ever twelve minutes.

These are, i think, mammatus, or ‘breast clouds’. They were on display in Taidong yesterday evening. They are not as big as the ones they have in America but i don’t care about that. I’d like to say they were so close you could almost touch them, but they weren’t. They were tantalizingly out of reach.

They are supposed to be a sign of rain, which would be sweet surrender here, but it’s still a dream at this stage.