The Taiwan Weather Thread

Yep. Was hoping for leaves to change colors around the hood…but they cut down some of our trees so they won’t damage the power lines. :sob: Typhoon prevention they say.

So far, only doom and gloom dark clouds, no rain yet.

My sweet potatoes have enjoyed the recent cold/wet weather a lot, I planted two on the balcony a couple of weeks ago and in no time they produced enough leaves for a meal. My lemons, limes and other small fruit trees don’t share the same feeling, though.

Me and my big mouth…we got stuck in this flood. Seriously, the streets in downtown Taipei are starting to flood and traffic is grinding to a halt.

Seriously?
It’s barely even spitting out in Zhonge.
Apparently even the elements have discovered what a shit hole this place is.

Well, now that I am in my office… it stopped. Still gray out there.

Plants still crying up here in Shipai.

I caught the beginning of it as I was walking back to the office. Haven’t had a downpour like this during the workday for awhile.

Just because it is time to go home… it is pouring. :rant:

Freaky rain her ein Taipei. There is thurnder and lighting and a wall of water for like half an hour or more… then it stops and we have calms and peace for an hour or two…then rain starts again… followed by calm.

Hope by the time we finsih work it won’t be that bad.

The rain came at the worst time this morning…about 1 traffic light from work. I braved it and decided not to put on the raincoat.

Looks like even if the trajectory changes…it’ll hit right during the holiday. We won’t even get an extra day off.

Nah, the gummit won’t give one more day off, especially before a long holiday. We’ll just have to grit our teeth.

Wished I had a computer to make the time go by more easily.

I’ve been barred from posting on Typhoon 16 thread coz ‘new users are not allowed to post more than three replies’ – doesn’t seem very inclusive – but I guess that’s the point – the last thing you need on an open forum is people coming in with fresh perspectives that might contradict some of the old stalwarts! Or maybe there’s another reason…

As for your tree, Icon, I daresay it’s a case of ‘no news is good news’. Coming from a base-line of Typhoon Nepartak, Meranti was no big deal here – not from Taidong city up anyway - the main thing was the massive waves – I even found a nice piece of driftwood on Highway 11.)

Have you contacted a mod about that? I assume that’s to avoid spammers filling up the board, but hopefully they can cancel the limit for you. I think quite a few “new” users are actually veterans - I know that signing up with my old ID was a bit of a hassle, although I hope there are clearer explanations now.

Yeah sounds logical because of previous spam attacks. I also faced the same issue, and I was using my original ID.

As to the tree, yeah, hope it made it. They were showing the rice fields in Taitung turned into a huge swimming pool. A guy dived into it as if in the Olympics.

Be that as it may, as an elected representative of Taidong county, i still take it as an affront to my democratic rights!

From this picture, it almost looks like Taiwan is under attack from a cute cartoon animal…

Actually, there’s the problem! There was this other guy hanging around, Dulan Drift I think was the name, who told us really bad things about Taidong Council. Blame him. He’s poisoned the mods against you.

Yes, we know all about that Dulan Drift guy and he’s been outsourced to our friends in China for a spot of re-education. Watch this space for a full confession from him soon.

As for associating the Taidong Council with scams, let me point out that despite all the accusations of dodgy land deals and what not, i have never been charged with a crime. (Not since i became a councillor, anyway, haha) Hell, we’ve never even been investigated!

As for the typhoon, it passed harmlessly up the south-east coast last night - no real rain or wind - and from the latest track i don’t expect it’s gonna have much impact in the north either.

CWB is predicting 36 today for Taidong - that’s 5 C above the Sep average. Interestingly the ‘apparent temp’ is meant to be 35C - first time i have seen it lower for a summer high. I assume they are expecting a rare Foehn wind at some stage. I doubt it’s gonna happen, but we’ll see.

I was wondering where the tail of the typhoon was gonna end up - turns out it’s here in Taidong. Been bucketing down all night and looks like there’s plenty more to come.

Cool breeze this morning on the way to the office. Seems like it’ll stay this way until the weekend. Autumn is here!

Not only that, but starting tomorrow, they forecast a lot of rain… again.

At least yesterday we had a bit of sunshine in the afternoon and a beautiful sunset.

But I wouldn’t put away the short sleeves. A light jacket would come handy, though.