The Taiwan Weather Thread

Massive north eash monsoon wind blowing today. I see it’s gusting up to 10 on the Beaufort scale on Lanyu! That’s around the 100 kph mark. Dust storm affecting Taidong city.

I want to know how come it is 30 degrees indoors in this bunker. According to my phone apps and CWB data, it is 22 degrees outside with a RealFeel of 23 degrees. Yet we are working in a sauna… Is it the radiation bars? The asbestos ceiling? Human warmth?

Regarding air quality, I gave up last night as my nose keep running non stop and headed to the ENT, who gave me my usual allergy prescription … usual for Spring, that is. A sandstorm coming? Bring it on. I have my pills and my spray ready.

I guess that’s the jet-lag effect with the concrete jungle taking a while longer to cool down. Even in the middle of winter sometimes i still sense the ‘ghost of summer’

1 Like

Forecast says temps will go up to 27 degrees tomorrow…

Sigh

Most likely it’s all the concrete releasing the heat slowly.

What it looked like today near Taoyuan.
Today is rated relatively clean (in Taiwan) at around 60 on aqi index.

One month ago over Taipei.
Basically we live inside a cloud of pollution.
I fly to china often and it pretty much always looks as bad as this over all highly populated area.

Sometimes to perceive the problem we have to look at it from a different angle.

The pollution is almost the same as the ring of rain clouds that seems to never leave Taipei in the winter.

I remember traveling down to Hsinchu last winter to specifically dodge the rain and after passing Linkou I don’t think I remember being that happy to see sunlight.

Ok, someone hit the ‘pause’ button. This weekend was near enough to perfect weather. Warm, but not brain-fry level, with some clouds and a light breeze. A perfect summer’s day actually, even though it’s mid-autumn.

This weekend was also the first weekend for several months when we haven’t had ‘extreme’ something - extreme wind (including Foehn, Typhoon and Monsoon wind), or heat, or humidity, or rain

I always felt like i had some strange attraction to extremes - after this summer, i’m totally over that

October

Icon, it wasn’t all in your mind about the heat.
The ave temp in Taipei for Oct is 24.5. This year it was 27. That’s ‘instant global warming’

Taidong - ave for Oct 25.7. This year: 27.1
We also had 991 mil of rain (ave for Oct is 182)

1 Like

it was a beautiful weekend (except for some of the haze). But it was pretty close to perfect. Wish there were more of these weekends.

It felt great to get outdoors.

1 Like

Nice weather. Actually i wanted to go to the beach, and I almost did it (well, I got there, but without a swimming suit :frowning: ).

Hopefully next weekend I can still jump into the water.

Yep, loving this weather.

Wet and cool here >_>

Haley’s Comet was a very disillusioning event in my formative years and i have been skeptical of media-science promos ever since, but, the ‘Super Moon’ was pretty cool. It really did look huge and slightly elongated.

A million times better than Haley’s Comet

Taidong is back in the ‘never rains’ phase of the ’ but it pours’ cycle. Three dry weeks now. Still hot. A possible TS going through north PPE could kick some rain up in the next few days

What the…

However, more warm weather is expected on Friday and Saturday, when highs could reach 33 degrees, according to Wu Der-rong (吳德榮), a meteorologist and adjunct associate professor of atmospheric sciences at National Central University.

It’s almost Christmas!!! Not even in the ol country -in the Caribbean- it gets this bad. In December there you have lazy, sunny early “summer” afternoons and cool winds. Perfect weather for baking, eating tamales, and visiting relatives for dinner.

I’m heading back to the east coast this weekend for Thanksgiving and I check the weather…low is 1C. I actually have to go digging for my winter clothes since I haven’t even swapped out my summer clothes yet.

Tough to leave such good weather, but at least I get to experience Thanksgiving and all it’s glory!

1°C in Yilan???

I knew someone would catch that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Heading back to New Jersey in the states :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, you Americans do that a lot.

I want my one month of autumn back wah :weary: