The Taxi Thread

We have an MRT thread, a bus thread, so why not a taxi thread?

I take the cab about 3 to 7 times a week. While most of the cabbies I come across are nice people, there’s always a few bad apples. One thing I can’t stand is not stopping at where I ask the driver to stop. “See the fire hydrant coming up? Stop right there.” But instead of stopping at the hydrant, he lets his cab roll another 15 feet or so, and invariably, you hear another beep from the meter. :fume:

Taxis are a good way to get from point A to point B. :whistle:

1 Like

Yeah, except when the driver takes you to points C and D before dropping you off at point B.

I despise taking a taxi in Taipei, or any city. Unless it’s a inter-city haul, wherein there will be some haggling. Otherwise there is far too much banter and/or shenanigans. Much rather call one of those private Taxis, or a known rural family unit, for a straight up fare, with more than ample eye-batting at certain indiscretions.
:no-no:

Geez, I need money to feed my family. Can’t get a job and so…sigh…off we go driving a cab.

Oh look, a long-nose. Ka’ching!

Me: Where you want go? [let me press the meter now…hehehe]
Long-nose: Please take me to Taipei Main Station.
Me: Huh?
Long-nose: Tai-Bei-Cher-Zan [what a douchebag]

Oh, 台北車站. Hmm…instead of going straight on 忠孝東路, I’ll just do a right on 復興北路…get really close to the airport before making a left on 民權西路…go all the way until I hit 承德路 and then make a left…go all the way and…voila. 台北車站.

On the way to 台北車站:

Long-nose: Are you sure this is the way? [this guy must be milking me]
Me: Huh? Me no Engoolisu. [shit…he’s getting suspicious]
Long-nose: Aren’t we suppose to go straight on Chung Hsiao East Road? [goddamn it! This asswipe is really milking me alive]
Me: No-no-no. This-this-this [continue to point straight even though I’m already on 復興北路]
Long-nose: Sigh…

At 台北車站:

Long-nose: What the F! $250 NT?
Me: Yeah, two-five-lero.
Long-nose: [what a fucking asshole…man, if I weren’t a foreigner, I woulda beat the living crap outta this fucker]

Yeah! Another sweet $250 NT for my little young’uns and some bin-lan (and check out some bin-lan babes as well :thumbsup: ).

Cabs here are fabulous.

-they are insanely cheap
-they get you where you need to be in a hurry
-they’ve fucked off a bit on forcing the seatbelt issue :thumbsup:
-they’ll fuck off if you don’t want to chat

Anyone who complains about cabs here is being a dick. HOWEVER, every once in a while you get a right prick of a driver, but remember, road rage in TW is miserable. If I am running errands and in my car for more than two hours I wanna kill a muthafakka, afford cabbies the same empathy.

Taipei cabs are great, outside of Taipei less so, due to influence of gangsters and also much higher fares. Can’t believe Taipei cabs are still so cheap!

To save from that extra 5 NT, just say, “Here. OK. $110?” (Or whatever the meter says).

You’ll be surprised how quickly they fail to keep going.

Matt

How do I get a refund on my taxis?

A-Fu’s own thread ! Marvelous

Love the Taxis with the big lilies inside as receiving more than once a “discount” - when the meter says 105 NTD for example.
Love the fact the driver changes the music, starts playing with the Airco to have the ideal foreigner-like temperature

Hate the ones when you open the door, the garlic or bin-lang smell hits you as a hammer.

[quote=“PigBloodCake”]Geez, I need money to feed my family. Can’t get a job and so…sigh…off we go driving a cab.

Oh, 台北車站. Hmm…instead of going straight on 忠孝東路, I’ll just do a right on 復興北路…get really close to the airport before making a left on 民權西路…go all the way until I hit 承德路 and then make a left…go all the way and…voila. 台北車站.

On the way to 台北車站:

Long-nose: Aren’t we suppose to go straight on Zhongxiao East Road? [goddamn it! This asswipe is really milking me alive]
Me: No-no-no. This-this-this [continue to point straight even though I’m already on 復興北路]

At 台北車站:

Long-nose: [what a fucking asshole…man, if I weren’t a foreigner, I woulda beat the living crap outta this fucker]

Yeah! Another sweet $250 NT for my little young’uns and some bin-lan (and check out some bin-lan babes as well :thumbsup: ).[/quote]
Come on. You overstate the issue. I’ve had similar issues and with modern Android phones, the problem is mostly solved. Last time I had a cabby that was going in the wrong direction, I called daughter unit. Told her what to tell the fuck.
Basically, I have your ID number and you will take me immediately to the address that I gave you. Fuck this up and you will be wrorking at 7-11 tomorrow. No charge

Plus you don’t know that the guy isn’t pulling the same shit on ALL passengers. Why this gotta be a racist thing, yo?

If you drive a taxi you aren’t likely to be a paragon of virtue in any country, are ya?

Y’all should start a WALKING thread, and you can then be racist about your own feet. THAT would be a good read.

“Man I got these big nose honkey cracker feet, and I swear to God they are wearing out the soles of my shoes more quickly simply cos I am a foreigner.”
“The other day I was walking along, minding my own business and my toe went and stubbed itself into a chair. I didn’t see any Taiwanese people stubbing their feet into this chair, so I can only conclude either the chair was racist or my foot microaggressed on me.”

[quote=“superking”]“Man I got these big nose honkey cracker feet, and I swear to God they are wearing out the soles of my shoes more quickly simply cos I am a foreigner.”
“The other day I was walking along, minding my own business and my toe went and stubbed itself into a chair. I didn’t see any Taiwanese people stubbing their feet into this chair, so I can only conclude either the chair was racist or my foot microaggressed on me.”[/quote]

Bahaha! How do you say “tall toes” in Taiwanese?

Never had issues with taxi drivers except for the occasional curious guy who wanted to know eveything about me or about penis dimensions and local girls when I just wanted to chill a moment.
I often enjoy the chat though.
PigBloodCake seems to have a particularly dimensioned chip on his shoulder.
Odd to hear someone complaining about been “milked alive”. How much are we talking here? 20 or 30 NTD?

I say enjoy the ride man!

Some tight Feckers here, can’t recall the number of
times I’ve been let off at a round number for my fare in Taiwan. I think that Taiwan has excellent taxi drivers in general, most are scrupulously honest with just a few bad eggs thrown in here and there (the standards drop somewhat in Taizhong though).

Sometimes I give them a small tip and I feel like Father Christmas they look so happy.
When on business I always tip good and polite drivers , all over Asia, most of them have families. Some taxi drivers I have had in India are working for days and just sleep in between calls. They come in and out from the countryside once a week. It’s like my personal slush fund for happiness.

I will save my China taxi stories for later…

Don’t you be smack talking the Chungalista’s baby. :laughing:

Geez people, I was being tongue-in-cheek :unamused:

Get in taxi, driver has an old WuBai CD playing. :thumbsup:
Driver sees foreigner, swaps CD to the radio, and you get Celine fucking Dion on ICRT. :thumbsdown:

[quote=“cfimages”]Get in taxi, driver has an old WuBai CD playing. :thumbsup:
Driver sees foreigner, swaps CD to the radio, and you get Celine fucking Dion on ICRT. :thumbsdown:[/quote]

Yeah, I know that sinking feeling.

[quote=“PigBloodCake”]Geez, I need money to feed my family. Can’t get a job and so…sigh…off we go driving a cab.

On the way to 台北車站:

Long-nose: Aren’t we suppose to go straight on Zhongxiao East Road? [goddamn it! This asswipe is really milking me alive]

At 台北車站:

Yeah! Another sweet $250 NT for my little young’uns and some bin-lan (and check out some bin-lan babes as well :thumbsup: ).[/quote]
I had that exact driver a few months ago! Not to the same destination, but he took a much longer route, so what was usually a 160-170 fare turned into 260. On top of that, he shortchanged me which i didnt knowuntil after he took off, his cab license on his dash was covered up by something, and the license behind the passenger seat was missing. Twice i asked him if he knew where he was going, he acted dumb: dui ah, you want to go to bei an lu ah! Its my fault for not knowing the route, but now i do. And when i get in i always tell them which route to take now. Gosh, i was livid! But it was my bad. And i dont hail a cab if i dont need to anymore. Always call for one 55688.