The Ten Craziest Engines you can't buy today

Some very interesting engineering in here…for the gearheads on here.

http://hooniverse.com/blog/2009/11/20/the-ten-craziest-engines-you-cant-buy-today/

Now THAT’S an engine.

Well, actually its the crankshaft and lower end of…I think…this engine…

well, that didn’t work very well. Go look in the comments section of The Chiefs link to see the entire engine.
Sorry.

That looks like something redwagon would put into a Ford Granada.

[quote=“monkey”]

Now THAT’S an engine.[/quote]

You can still buy that engine today. Maybe not, how much do you make in a decade?

Did they forget about napier deltic and the BRM V16 ?

I’d say this is crazier, and it does seem to be an engine, as opposed to a multi-engine, (like the 48-chainsaws-motorcycle.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ratfuML9QA

They seem to have applied a more complex evaluation than just craziness, though. Maybe its a little lacking in elegance/ingenuity. (I think the Deltic takes it for ingenuity)

[quote=“Ducked”]I’d say this is crazier, and it does seem to be an engine, as opposed to a multi-engine, (like the 48-chainsaws-motorcycle.).

[/quote]
That is in fact made from a lot of spare cylinders from Kawasaki 2-stroke triples… 16 whole engine’s worth.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Ducked”]I’d say this is crazier, and it does seem to be an engine, as opposed to a multi-engine, (like the 48-chainsaws-motorcycle.). (Edit: I THINK that was 24 chainsaws)

[/quote]
That is in fact made from a lot of spare cylinders from Kawasaki 2-stroke triples… 16 whole engine’s worth.[/quote]

Well, we get to “when is an engine not an engine” stylee semantics/definitions. 16 whole engine’s worth doesn’t seem to preclude it being an engine, since many of the engines described in the originally posted article were “combined” engines.

Common crankcase?

Common crankshaft?

If the latter it seems, AFAICT, to have 6 so maybe it isn’t an engine after all.

I THINK the original lineup were all production engines, and it seems a fair bet this isn’t, and won’t be.

Exhaust seems pretty restrained considering.
Since its a 2-stroke, for which they say exhaust tuning is critical, I’d guess its performance won’t be optimal. Still, its not how well the bear dances…

“Does that make them awesome? Well… in the hands of a company like Blastolene, yes. Just go look at what they do. They’re building hot-rods around tank engines, aircraft engines, old Peterbilt engines… frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a diesel engine from an old naval destroyer showing up in a future rod. Batshit insanity, and the usage of engines wholly inappropriate for road-going vehicles gets them an automatic spot at number five.”

naval destroyer and batshit insanity … LMFAO im still laughing while typing this :roflmao:

number 10 engine the British racing motors H-16. i like that one too bad didn’t work out.

tnx for sharing the link i enjoyed reading it.