The Theranos trial

Eye contact of a sociopath.

This sounds like a plot of a steamy femme fatale movie, like The Last Seduction, where Linda Fiorentino gets a lover to kill he ex husband.

And the resolution for Holmes. Balwani will hear his sentence next month.

1 Like

The pregnancy ploy and ‘he made me do it’ didn’t work.
The worst part was how she threatened and bullied the employees and ex employees for years to stay silent.

3 Likes

I thought the ploy would stop at her first child but looks like she got pregnant again since her conviction. To be fair, some say that since she’s 38 she might also have thought it’s now or never.

2 Likes

Not the worst part but a very bad one too.

The chief scientist killed himself.

I don’t remember the details but they harassed employees so that they wouldn’t talk. Did it look like a suicide or it was one?

To me the worst part is to give a health service that is not even close to what they said. People make decisions based on those results, from treatments to unprotected sex or suicide.

2 Likes

Correct, he was harrassed to death and he was a CURRENT employee at the time. He had been called to testify in a patent infringement case, and he was damned if he told the truth either way, so the night before he was due to testify he ingested a load of painkillers and died a few days later.

You are correct that if the tests didn’t ‘work’ properly they could also have caused a lot of harm. I haven’t seen much evidence either way, what I think they were doing was running a lot of tests on other technologies in house and outsourcing a bunch of other tests.

1 Like

Some more of that male privelege: same crime, different time

To a layperson it may look like the same crime but Balwani was charged and convicted of different offenses than Holmes. That is the reason for the difference in sentencing.

I didn’t follow very closely

Spread bet on how quickly they get let out? I think five years.

1 Like

They were charged with the same offenses but only he was found guilty of defrauding patients. Explain that one.

Much has been written about this. Here’s one article.

Read the trial verdicts.

Just looking at the blurb, what about the fact of different genders?

Sentencing disparity - Wikipedia.

I’m a feminist like that, where’s the equality of outcome?

I’ll just assume you know what you’re talking about but don’t feel like sharing it.

1 Like

I think it was because Balwani was in charge of supervising the labs specifically. Though I agree, Holmes should also be guilty of defrauding patients.

1 Like

Eric Feigl-Ding calling Elizabeth Holmes a fraud? That’s so sublime it’s almost art.

Perhaps it takes one to know one.

1 Like