The This Is An Outrage thread

Then do something about it instead of running your mouth. Start your own southern border underground railroad. Maybe they will put your face on money some day.

Why does the left have all the time in the world to express outrage, but no time to actually get anything done?

Of course they do so long as they are a private company.

I’m outraged that I have to spend the day in an office without air-conditioning. There’s a Heat Alert on, it’s supposed to get up to 38 degrees today, and I’m sitting here hoping my tiny fan is somehow enough.

So if I have an opinion about Trump’s handling of nk, I should “stop running my mouth” and start a private war with them? Or healthcare, I should “stop running my mouth” and start a hospital? OhhhhK. Stop running your mouth.

1 Like

I say do something about it and keep running your mouth so you get the credit.

Of course not. A private company, does not get to decide who it provides services to on the basis of race, sex, or sexual orientation. A bakery for example that has a bunch of generic products on display must treat everyone who walks though their door equally. They don’t get to say “oh your Jewish” or “we don’t sell to arabs” thats discrimination and a basis for being sued.

The only line here is custom designs, where it can be claimed a person can’t be forced to create something that goes against their own beliefs.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree.

Me too. What is it we’re respectfully disagreeing about?

Which is your right of course. Freedom of speech and all that. But I am telling you what the law is, in the US in the UK, Canada and most western countries. If you run a business like a hostel or motel, what you are offering is considered a generic product. If two guys turn up or two women and you say “oh I don’t think we can give you a room because of your sexual orientation” you can be sued for discrimination, and you will lose.

I’m aware of the laws. I just personally believe only public entities should be compelled to follow those rules.
If I have a restaurant and refuse to serve Arabs, Jews, blacks and gays, that should be within my rights. It should be social pressure that forces the restaurant out of business, not the rule of law, which I believe infringes upon personal freedom. There are other restaurants the before mentioned groups can dine in. They aren’t forced to dine there.

So, you as the manager of this establishment are going to be the one to refuse someone? You’re going to be the one who defuses a possible scene at the front of your establishment? You’re the one who will take it on the chin from customers who walk out of your establishment in solidarity with those you refuse?

Exactly. Social pressure, not executive enforcement, should push my restaurant out of society. It would be the people failing to leave private property when asked that would require executive action.

I see what you’re saying. So if an establishment gets the bigot label that’s on them.

Of course they will have a bigot label and people should protest outside of it in a public space peacefully until lack of business forces it to close.

However, being forced to offer goods and services against your will and while not under contractual obligation is more evil than bigotry IMO.

kind of like that female-owned/me2#-inspired coffee place that openly announced they would charge men 15% higher. they eventually went out of business

Thats the thing, I honestly can’t tell if @Test wish to reserve his/her right to discriminate emanates from the left or right wing thinking.

More libertarian with a strong sense of property rights I’d say. I can’t infringe on anyone’s happiness, but I sure as hell don’t have to allow anyone I don’t want on my property to produce or consume on my property without permission. This all changes if the property is public of course, where everyone’s pursuit of happiness is guaranteed. Are you required to let anyone come into your home and enjoy your soft bed because it pleases them? To me, there is no difference between a privately owned bedroom and a privately owned restaurant.

And you’re not required to represent yourself to the public as a business. There are many ways that businesses are regulated under the law in furtherance of the public interest.

No need for overregulation.

There’s pretty much no need for over anything.

Unless you provide some specifics your comment is meaningless. What regulations are you a supporter of and at what point do you think the regulations you support go too far?

Let’s start with property rights. How far should government regulations be applied to those?