šŸ„‡ Olympics - The Tokyo Olympics 2021

Googleā€™s Tokyo Olympics game

2 Likes

Watching the opening ceremony on ELTA dedicated channel and after no commercial breaks during the dancing theyā€™ve having breaks every five minutes or so whilst the athletes are parading past country by country. So I guess Iā€™m missing about 3 countries every time. Is this some kind of political snub?
WTF?

2 Likes

I doubt it. They think the only important countries are ā€œChinese Taipeiā€ (and maybe a few of the big names like USA, Japan, UK). The average Taiwanese probably had never heard of ā€œAngolaā€ or ā€œAlgeriaā€ before.

3 Likes

Disrespectful not only to athletes but entire countries this time. If itā€™s like you say, I wonder how many will complain about this though.

1 Like

Public TV, channel 13, no ads.

News channel 51 better hosts, fewer ads.

3 Likes

Thanks @Icon ! I donā€™t know how my channel numbers match up to standard ones because my TV is through Chinese Telecom, but I skipped through the channels during a commercial break and on channel 220 found ELTA 1台 with English commentary and so far NO commercials! Weird that the MOD dedicated Olympic channel has commercials if others do not.

2 Likes

Also channel 13 has English commentary option (check your tv remote control for 雙čŖžļ¼‰

3 Likes

Far as I know thatā€™s been the case
Each TV station who buys the rights to the games inserts commercials whenever the station wants
Different nations get missed in each country as the stations claw its money back

Each tv station in each country has different countries it thinks are important and others it thinks are not

Thatā€™s why tv broadcasts certain games
But not all

1 Like

If you need s cringe, go no further than South Koreaā€™s broadcast.

And I thought Taiwan was bad when they mentioned their allies are less and less ā€¦

3 Likes

The Ukrainian one . . . ouch!

Guy

Donā€™t really see anything wrong with it personally. Probably helps some not so familiar with the countries get a better idea.

Just another thing to be ā€œoutragedā€ about for those weirdos.

1 Like

Seems so dead without the spectatorsā€¦. :confused:

1 Like

I would have been supporting South Korea in the Olympics if they used coronavirus as the image for China.

Hey if they can show Chernobyl for Ukraine, why not the Wuhan Institute of Virology for the PRC? They could even get amazon to sponsor it:

https://www.amazon.com/Wuhan-Institute-Virology-Classic-Tshirt/dp/B08BZKRYND

/snark off

Guy

1 Like

I did like the biracial torch bearer and flag holder for Japan, change is coming to Japan

2 Likes

Arguably their bestā€”and certainly their best-knownā€”athlete is Naomi Osaka, so this makes sense.

Guy

1 Like

Thatā€™s great. Ordered one.

Guess who is in the running for the Gold Medal for most annoying participant?

Guy

3 Likes

Disagree. I know the Twitter people who cancelled half the organizers of the Opening Ceremony in the past few weeks but she grew up in the US and not Japan and I thought it was on odd selection.

1 Like

If you have MOD, they haveā€¦six or seven channels showing various events and, gloriously, several are free of announcers of any kind. They simply have the live feed operating and you can hear the stadium announcers and players, etc.

2 Likes