The Top 100 English Usage Mistakes

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out as I do some corrections today.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]12. Using or as the negative and:

I don’t like this or that.[/quote]

Do people still use nor?

No, I mean the say and write “I got two dogs at home” when they mean “I have two…”. They might be picking this up from “I’ve got two…” and not hearing the contracted ‘have’.

Ok, usage, huh? Hmmm…

Using ‘few’ when they mean ‘a few’.

Forgetting the specifier (e.g., the, my, etc.) after ‘many of’, some of, all of, etc. E.g., “Most of banks don’t have can speak English staff.”

Using ‘apply’ when ‘apply for’ is intended.

Using ‘totally’ instead of ‘a total of’.

Using ‘notice’ instead of ‘notify’.

“staff” (“I am a staff of Cathay Bank”) instead of “staff member”, forgetting that “staff” is a collective noun like “team”

“funny” when the meaning of “fun” is intended

Confusing “apartment” and “department”. I’ve noticed this a few times.

Using ‘according to’ when ‘because of’ or ‘in light of’ is meant.

Using ‘could’ as a general past tense of ‘can’ (it is not).

Using ‘to’ instead of ‘enough to’, e.g., “The parent company is strong to support its affliates.”

Using ‘advise’ when what is meant is ‘inform’ (copying poor usage by native speakers here).

Using ‘albeit’ where ‘although’ is intended, e.g., “Albeit I studied hard, I failed the test.”

Using “could have” to mean “was able to”

Using “must have” to mean “had to”

Chris, that brings to mind the use of “should” where “will” would be appropriate (simple future tense). “If I could visit any country in the world for two weeks, I should to visit New Zealand, where I can meet Frodo and Aragorn.”

Which reminds me of: “I like to spend time getting along with my family and friends on the weekends.”

This is great guys! You’ve hit some that I’ve seen but that haven’t made it only my list.

Using ‘almost’ instead of ‘most’, e.g., Almost Chinese eat rice. Almost we go to movie.

I kid you not.

My wife confuses “deoderant” and “dildo” for some odd reason. :astonished:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Using ‘almost’ instead of ‘most’…[/quote]I hear that mistake quite often.

Uh, that’s very interesting, but could we stay on the topic of writing mistakes? Thank you very muchey. :slight_smile:

Uh, that’s very interesting, but could we stay on the topic of writing mistakes? Thank you very muchey. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Sure, she probably wouldn’t write it though. :blush:

Using “bottleneck” to mean “plateau” or “glass ceiling” or “impasse” - a level beyond which it is difficult to rise. It’s often accompanied by the phrase “break through”, a translation of 突破瓶頸. “I have reached a bottleneck in my career and am determined to break through it.”

In English, “bottleneck” usually means a narrow passageway through which a lot of things are trying to pass (a traffic bottleneck, a data bottleneck), causing delays.

Confusing ‘another’, ‘other’ and ‘the other’.

delegation vs authority

die vs dead

Using ‘appreciate’ instead of ‘thank sb. for’, e.g., “She appreciated my help” instead of “She thanked me for my help” (when the act of thanking and not the sentiment is intended)

Confusion of assure, ensure and insure (I know the latter two overlap slightly, but the point stands)

Confusing attributed vs. attributable

loan, lend and debt

Confusing ‘as follows’ and ‘the following’, e.g., “You should file the documents as the following:”

‘given’ vs. ‘because’ and ‘because of’

timely vs. fast/quick/rapid vs. on time/punctual

until and not until

Using ‘even’ instead of ‘even though’, e.g. “Even I want to go, but I can’t” (ok, so there’s another problem with that sentence, but you get the point).

This includes writing “the followings” - a very common error.

reduce vs. decline

lower vs. declined

The paper is not enough.

There is very nice. Have you been to there?