The TSMC Thread

Taiwanese people pronounce it as Sin-tik

I was talking about Taiwan Mandarin but Shinzu is a Hakka area.

Completely incorrect. Sin-tik city was completely Holo.

於道光六年(1826)竹塹當地以鄭用錫為首的地方仕紳倡議將土城改建為磚石城,至道光七年(1827),清廷終首肯建城,費時兩年於道光九年(1829)完工。(淡水廳築城案卷)

另外,石城新建導因於閩粵械鬥,當時竹塹城內及城外皆為閩籍,到客雅溪流域為閩粵交錯,往北至今日新竹縣新豐鄉一帶粵籍成為多數,今日新埔、竹東、關西、芎林1更是粵人占最大宗;竹塹城南邊亦是閩粵交雜處,加上竹塹東南一帶的生番出草習俗在當時仍是頻繁,這些皆令閩人深感憂患,故支持建石磚城。

Earlier on the Holo and Hakka had several conflicts over Sin-tik city, and the resolution was that inside the city it would be completely Holo. After the construction of the stone city wall, there were another 2 major Holo Hakka conflicts, but the status was unchanged. That is why in Sin-tik city today, most elderly people would converse in Taigi and not Hakka. The Science Park is inside Sin-tik city.

The assumption that people in Sin-tik and Biâu-li̍k are all Hakka is pretty biased and historically incorrect.

I’m.just amazed that anybody cared about Hsinchu city that much. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Shinzu and Miaoli areas are half and half.

My political agenda includes restoring Sin-tik’s territory to the glorious days of Shinchiku shū.

TSMC’s chairman to be on 60 minutes. Must watch.

2 Likes

TSMC finally getting the spotlight it deserves. Can only be good news for the stocks.

I don’t mean just this specific interview. TSMC has been getting more media coverage recently.

2 Likes

Good video on what goes into building a TSMC fab, why it’s so expensive.

Plenty of interesting videos on this channel, some have probably already been posted in this thread or others.

1 Like

That’s a good series. They’re not all 100% accurate, but very informative nonetheless.

Holy crap. Mediatek only forecasted 35% themselves. Everything going on is exceeding and expectations and unreal.

I’m sure TSMC knows about Arizona’s upcoming water shortages, but still wondering why it didn’t choose Idaho (also dry, but not in any severe water drought conditions, and has decades of experience with high-tech manufacturing) or even western Washington, where no worries about a drought exist, for its new 1 (or maybe 6 as Taipeitimes reports today) fab in AZ.

Can click on first link below to see most recent drought conditions in the U.S.

'United States Drought Monitor > Current Map > State Drought Monitor

Idaho has earthquakes.

Show me ones that are bigger than Taiwan’s please. Like in the 6+ to 7+ range.
The only thing Idaho has negatively is it’s in the pathway of Mt. St Helens if it blows again. Less likely than a severe drought in Arizona in next 5 years.
Anyway, just a talking point.

If the tax incentives are high enough, you can get water from almost anywhere :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: