The TSMC Thread

Also the Filipina factory workers here under conditions that are probably illegal in the US

1 Like

Anyone who thinks Samsung has the ability to surpass TSMC should read this:

1 Like

In my opinion, the most critical spec is leakage crossbar current for digital IC. If this spec is not consistently reliable, there is no recourse from the design side. I would image what that means for the fab engineers is still ultimately how discipline you are in your lithography.

*I am not a professional Digital IC designer so correct me if I am wrong.

It’s good PR for Samsung but no serious commercial customers would volunteer to be the guinea pigs if they can wait for TSMC in a couple of months. Not worth the headache and the risk. For academia customers, go ahead and try it why not.

1 Like

They didn’t say anything about the yield. I guess they just started so they don’t know yet.

It’s not available for third party customers. Lol. Vaporware. They were the “first to 5nm” as well.

1 Like

You’re saying they’re mass producing for fun? I mean, Samsung’s a rich company, but c’mon.

Taiwanese process engineer interviewed, on what this line of work entails. (Mandarin with a lot of trade jargons) [ 畢業做什麼 ] 製程整合工程師 | 台積電製程整合工程師壓力有多大?每天都在做什麼? EP.2 #台積電 #聯電 #TSMC #產品工程師 #物理系 #製程整合 - YouTube

Digital IC designer interview : [畢業做什麼] 如何進去數位 IC Design公司,面試準備技巧和我需要會的技能 | EP.2 #IC設計 #前端工程師 #通訊系 - YouTube

1 Like

Both looked like stressful jobs. The TSMC engineer said he prefers to work on mature processes over advanced ones.

The IC design engineer said they are under heavy pressure from clients to deliver. I understood her a lot more (even though she spoke really fast) because her job was a lot of coding, and that’s what I do. They use some engineering programming language and then someone writes the program in C so they cross-validate.

Validation is a huge part of an IC designer’s job.

The front end digital IC designer job is probably quite chill compared to process integration at foundry. Probably why she took that job instead of RFIC.

Gotta luv dem front-running activities of Nancy Hedge Fund LLC:

This was more complicated than presented in the simple tweet. But it’s not a good look for a member of a political family to have such a deal on the books.

Of course. But I’m sure you know US congresspeople get to front-run stocks/indices all the time.
And this looks awesome, too:

I’m sure Nancy’s like, “Jaime, I’m gonna miss you when you’re gone, but I think might like this cakewalk job, too.”

Looks like either Intel is playing games with TSMC or they’re bad customers.

So, I firmly believe this is one of the really important reasons why TSMC succeeded [vs Intel]. It’s culture. If equipment went down, because equipment depreciation cost was so high, you really want to run your equipment 24 hours a day. In United States, if equipment went down, wait until next morning. The people come in at eight o’clock and probably go to fix it, nine o’clock. Yeah. But if at two o’clock in the morning, we just called the equipment engineer, “You come right away,” he won’t complain. And his wife won’t complain. And that’s the way it is.

1 Like

Recently, Winbond Electronics invested $330 billion yuan to build a 12 inch wafer fab in the Kaohsiung Science-based Industrial Park.

And now the property homes prices go up

In Europe, you go on vacation for a month then come back and fix it.

1 Like