The Twilight Zone

I don’t know if I’m living in the twilight zone today or what. Within the space of two hours:

1. A group of liu mang weenie boys walked by us, commenting in Taiwanese that I’m a scumbag for being with a Taiwanese girl (sz attogah!). I didn’t even notice, but my girlfriend was pissed. Still, she asked me to leave it alone when I started after them. I did. We had to be someplace anyway.
  2. An old lady in line at the dou jiang stand took the opportunity to chew out my girlfriend for wearing too little, and for being with an attogah. My girlfriend politely told her that it was warm enough for her not to wear a sweater, but left the attogah thing alone–there’s no use in arguing with a racist.
  3. A middle aged human fart and his wife, thinking I couldn’t understanding them, took the opportunity to comment to one another that my girl was a bit too spicily dressed, and with a foreigner for God’s sake! I let them know that it was a shame that people who don’t have the bodies to wear tight clothing, or the intelligence to accept mixed race couples, find it necessary to express their insecurities in public. They were silent, as per usual. Probably thought I was speaking English.

What exactly are the legal consequences of breaking assorted body parts of a group of racist weenie boys, or alternatively, a middle aged, limp-dicked racist? I wouldn’t dare strike Ah Ma. She’d kick my ass. :slight_smile:

T.

Your girlfriend is obviously too attractive. Well done. Alas, I seldom have a problem, just comments of pity and harsh judgements on my poor taste.

But when I’m in situations where people are slagging me, I look at them and say something witty like “Fack Off you prick” and invite them to come and take a piece of me. Well, the blokes anyway. I have no idea how to handle obnoxious women.

In situations like that I always enjoyed dragging myself down to their level. You will never change a racist, but you can shock the hell out of the middle aged and elderly. Teenage twats and wannabe gansters are best ignored: they’re two a penny. I think what you have to remember is that Taiwanese who make these comments are simply inbred culchies. If they’re rich, they’re like culchies who have won the lottery. They’re also cowards. Unfortunately it goes with the territory of being a gweilo in Taiwan with a local girlfriend/wife. I used to deal with it by maintaining a dignified silence, punctuated by totally losing the rag about once every six months. I am sure there’s a better way.

[quote=“almas john”]Your girlfriend is obviously too attractive. Well done. Alas, I seldom have a problem, just comments of pity and harsh judgements on my poor taste.

But when I’m in situations where people are slagging me, I look at them and say something witty like “Fack Off you prick” and invite them to come and take a piece of me. Well, the blokes anyway. I have no idea how to handle obnoxious women.[/quote]

You might have something there. My first local girlfriend was sweet, cute, kind of saucy, but not a beauty like my current squeeze. I have noticed a sharp spike in this kind of shite since I started dating her.

I’m not going to smack anyone unless absolutely necessary, but sometimes I really wish I had a free get out of jail card.

I find that direct confrontation usually acheives the desired results. As hexuan mentioned, they’re all cowards.

Don’t forget to make them lose face. Publically, if possible. It’s the thing racist jerks tend to care about the most, and the best way to really get back at them. Just make sure that your Chinese is up to the job. This is even better than swearing at them, or getting angry. Of course, there’s no turning back then - the face loser will never, ever forgive you, but it can be sooooo satisfying. Also make sure that you have the ability and the cojones to back yourself up physically if things turn nasty.

My better half is always a looker, but if we’re going out on the town, she can be quite stunning. Often on the way to our destination, we’ll get the taxi driver to stop at a convenience store on the way so that I can buy some cigarettes for my gf’s drinking/smoking pleasure. It has happened several times that I come back to the car to find an icy atmosphere - he having made some snide comments about her appearance and/or the fact that we speak English (and Chinese) to each other, and/or the fact that she has turned her back on her “own kind” by being with a foreigner. Of course she won’t tell me what was said until after we get out of the car, because she knows me too well - I do not let shit like that go unanswered. :imp:

Apparently, the only thing that Taiwanese people find more amazing than a foreigner accompanying a Taiwanese girl is a foreigner without a Taiwanese girl. I can’t even count the times I’ve been asked, “So where’s your Taiwanese girlfriend? What? You don’t have one? How can that be?”

I get that. The difference is that I answer, “Well I am taken”. Then they just repeat the question, “So why don’t you have a Taiwanese girlfriend”?

When I’m unaccompanied by a xiaojie, casual conversations with Taiwanese strangers invariably follow a standard course that quickly reaches the “Are you married?” question, the negative answer to which elicits the suggestion that I should find a nice local girl, marry her and settle down here, to which I reply that I intend to do so and thereby earn their approving nods. I wonder if, deep in their hearts, some or even most of those people are harboring racist sentiments like those under discussion in this thread and merely putting on a Janus-faced show? Or do you think they are sincere, truly happy and proud at the thought of an eligible foreigner wanting to marry one of their kind?

So get yourself a get out of jail free card and have at it…

OTOH, neither my wife nor any of the women I had dated before her thought it very amusing when I left some wise-cracker looking like 2 tins of dog food :?

For an all-purpose line on spurious commenters: "

Tomas, to help us judge this situation more objectively, could you possibly post a picture of the gf in the offending costume?

And Hsiadogah, your first guan (

Surely you’ve all seen the emails that incite such rage against you?

The way i see it… you brought it upon yourself. No sympathy this time.

Yes, but then you could just go straight to the fight stage without bothering… not really worth it for some minor backchat.

Let it be.

I learned a long time ago that if a guy wants to fight, he will not waste time talking. I usually just ask the offender strait away whether or not he wants to fight. If he hesitates or replies negatively, I inform him that I have no interest in bickering like a woman, and leave.

The ball is left in his court… but I remain alert as I leave the scene.

[quote=“taiwaner”]Surely you’ve all seen the emails that incite such rage against you?

The way i see it… you brought it upon yourself. No sympathy this time.[/quote] :?: :?:

What are talking about? Do you have some of these e-mails that you
would like to share with all of us?

Looking good or having “good taste” in who you choose to be your partner should not be grounds for stupid ass comments (in Twn or any country). Some people are easily jealous or just ignorant.

Maoman has the right idea. Face is important and if you can show people that what they are saying is rude or plain stupid, then they may not make such comments next time.

[color=green]Maoman here.
Taiwaner, in a fit of pique, started deleting all of his posts, including this one, which is why the only content you see here is from me. It’s also why he got banned, the little twerp. :unamused:
[/color]

[color=green]Maoman here.
Taiwaner, in a fit of pique, started deleting all of his posts, including this one, which is why the only content you see here is from me. It’s also why he got banned, the little twerp. :unamused:
[/color]

[quote=“taiwaner”]going out with locals is one thing… branding the entire female population as the ``prostitutes’’ is another.

just thought i’d set the record straight…

[/quote]

Taiwaner, what the hell are you on about? What does that have to do with Tomas or emails for that matter? A foreigner on a television show said he thought all Taiwanese women were prostitutes? First, I doubt that the show is real. Most hidden camera shows in Taiwan are staged. Even if it was true, what does it matter what one foreigner thinks. Maybe that guy had only met prostitutes in Taiwan. They are here, you know. Maybe he was an asshole. Plenty of those everywhere. What does that have to do with anything? Or, put another way, what is your point?

Well it maybe isn’t the point he was intending to make, Chainsmoker, but I think Taiwaner’s posts show how easy it is for the media to influence the general public here, no matter how flimsy the so-called “evidence.”

Let’s assume Taiwaner is an intelligent person (after all, he posts on Segue :wink: ). Yet he appears to also believe the hogwash fed to him by the TV.