The ugly Hoklo

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Vorkosigan,

Well I guess we could use the term “sub-ethnic discrimination and prejudices” but that is such a mouth full. I took the liberty to use the common term “racism.” I think it is term is appropriate to describe the Hoklo desire to disenfranchise all non-Hoklo on Taiwan…[/quote]

ac, Taiwanese resistance to Chinese colonialism is not racism. It’s resistance. Ironically, Taiwanese nationalism is a creation of mainlander chauvinism. If your side hadn’t practiced it, the locals wouldn’t have learned it. Any book on colonialism could have told your team that colonialism always creates a counter-identity among the local people it exploits. Now that the Taiwanese are out there leveling the field and reducing the power of the Chinese colonial population on Taiwan, the mainlander elites who used their old soldier brethren – while killing thousands – are responding by claiming Taiwanese are “racists.” It’s their last card.

I agree! Let’s start by putting Ma, Lien, Soong and the others in jail, as would happen in any normal democracy.

That’s just ridiculous.

Vorkosigan

Early colonists from Mainland are upset that they are being out-colonized by later colonists from Mainland. Now, I have to laugh. :roflmao:

That’s some good green kool-aide. :smiley:

[quote=“LA”]Early colonists from Mainland are upset that they are being out-colonized by later colonists from Mainland. Now, I have to laugh. :roflmao:
[/quote]

Yes, laugh even more the day the early colonists manage to take control of the LY and start whipping a bit of late colonist arse. That will be great fun. :slight_smile:

Yeh, the balkanization of Taiwan by the Greenies continues. Taiwan is doomed, DOOMED, I tell ya. :smiley:

I think you are referring to the Japanese. ROC didn’t practice colonialism on Taiwan. Are you suggesting that the ROC leave the colonial Japanese identity in place on Taiwan? The same Japanese identity that looked down at the Chinese as sub-human so that their soldiers could commit atrocities like the Nanjing Massacre. That doesn’t seem very pragmatic at all since the prior identity on Taiwan created soilders to fight against ROC for Japan.

Taiwanese is a subset of the Chinese identity, not the Japanese identity. So without Sinification post WWII the Taiwanese identity could not exist on the Island.

Once again frabricating history to conform to your interpretation only works against the ignorant masses who don’t bother learning history.

Can you cite when Ma or Lien or Soong voiced racism against the BSR during an election? Lien is a BSR, like Wang Jin Ping, so it would seem kind of silly for Lien Chan to speak against BSR on the campaign trail.

Why is that? There are plenty of cases in Taiwan where non-Hans are ejected from the country without trial.

Wrong, they bumped off all locals with an education, and put in their own people. They then told people that they were Chinese, and imprisoned those who resisted. The kids were ordered to learn Chinese and were bullied if they didn’t.

Taiwan is Taiwan and China is China. What happened in China was a crime, however it does not allow a racist like you to use it to defend the shite your ancestors did here. (I assume that your father or grandfather was one of the carpetbaggers arriving with peanut). Note that nearly all infrastructure of consequence until the late 1970’s wer eput in by the Japanese, and that they made this place into one of the most prosperous places in Asia - until the people you come from did their best to ruin that.

Who are you to decide or know what Taiwanese identity is? You don’t live here, hardly come here, and would not appear to have any on the ground knowledge of this place.

You and your ilk are the ones fabricating history. OK, let’s see, how well do you know your history of Taiwan. Who put the east coast railroad in? When was the first election in Taiwan? Name at least 2 governors of the Japanese who made a major contribution to the development of Taiwan. Name at least 1 disease eradicated by the Japanese and re-introduced by peanut and the KMT robbers.

Odds are that you know crap about that as you know crap about Taiwan.

Nono, you don’t get it as usual. They do their racist shite by claiming that all Taiwanese are racist, and they use their control over the media to broadcast it until the more gullible actually start believing them.

Mr He,

Your ranting against the KMT and praise of the Japanese is getting tiring. Can you stay on topic on this thread. Trying to imply that you’re the old guard of the Taiwanese identity is even more laughable.

I’m complaining about a KMT member who is seeking presidency of ROC using the Hoklo racism card. Do you think his comment, that the majority sub-ethnic group shouldn’t be governed by an individual that is from an minority sub-ethnic group, is justified?

Given his comment it would mean that Eurasian children have almost no rights in Taiwan given they are minority of minorities. If every country on the planet subscribe to this thought Eurasian children will forever live lives of being lesser humans, just for the mere fact their group will never be a majority.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
Your ranting against the KMT and praise of the Japanese is getting tiring. Can you stay on topic on this thread. Trying to imply that you’re the old guard of the Taiwanese identity is even more laughable. [/quote]

I live here you little piece of shite. That’s more than what can be said of you. And yes, you were the one bringing up the japanese, with your stupid and racist post about “elevating” or “cleaning” the locals of Japanese influence. The first saying that was Chen Yi, and he cleaned them with blood. Is it a re-run of that you want?

I don’t care about KMT internal wranglings. He’s pandering to the “southern” KMT, and yes I find it distasteful. He has little chance of winning by fighting above board, though.

Most Eurasian children here are ROC citizens by birth, so they would have the same rights as anyone else with a ROC ID card.

But that is not the point. The point is that you and Eurasians are even more of a minority than WSR on Taiwan. Based on Hoklo logic of “majority entitlement” that would mean you and Eurasian kids should have even less rights on Taiwan than your average WSR.

This Hoklo entitlement attitude is prevalent in Southern Taiwan, but it is not exclusive to the KMT. The DPP commonly pander to these racist sentiment in the South. Which I find distasteful in Taiwan culture. This idea that sub-ethnic prejudices should be tolerated and used in political campaigning…

Unlike you, I don’t toe a party line and give individuals a pass just because of party affiliations.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
But that is not the point. The point is that you and Eurasians are even more of a minority than WSR on Taiwan. Based on Hoklo logic of “majority entitlement” that would mean you and Eurasian kids should have even less rights on Taiwan than your average WSR.[/quote]

What kind of crap is that? all ROC citizens have the same rights, and can vote, get credit etc. I don’t see any movement by the DPP to disenfranchise any citizens.

entitled to what? To vote for a candidate they feel closer to? That’s their democratic right. Do you believe that the majority here should not be allowed to vote for whoever they like?

I can’t vote and I am not member of any party here. However, I tend to prefer people with a basic understanding of democracy, mr non-partisan “free ma”.

AC, what you don’t understand is that we are simply anti-colonialists/imperialists/nationalists… as we were educated in countries where what is told in school has something to do with reality, where dictators don’t have huge monuments, palaces and their name splashed in every single town, where mayor offices are not run by mafia…

That is why our view can never be the same as yours… that is why we can acknowledge the goods and the bads of every “occupation” of Taiwan, and, in my POV, the KMT one has a lot more bads than goods…

Or maybe he is ranting because actual Taiwanese language has Japanese influence on it?

^…all that to justify racism on Taiwan.

1. We’re not from Taiwan, so we can’t really tell if there is discimination.
  2. Taiwanese and Japanese sound the same to us.

:laughing:

to your number 2, only if I’m in a dementia state of delusion… just go check how many words are the same…

a) we are the first to be discriminated - Hell, I don’t look like Harry Potter, I’m not American and I’m not a teacher… but who said anything about discrimination??? Are you really reading my sentences? How can my words “justify racism in Taiwan”?

Ac, I’m from the American south. Believe me, I know discrimination and racism when I see it. And believe, the “waishengren” in Taiwan haven’t suffered 1/10th the discrimination in their entire lives what black people in America have to suffer every day. There is no comparison. Compared to your average black person in America (much less Taiwan or China or Japan, ah hem…fairly racist societies to blacks, as far as I can see) you as an Asian-American have had to suffer 0%.

Given my experience in the South, I can identify a racist from 100 yards away. I know from very personal experience exactly what a genuine racist looks and talks like. And you fit that category - I’m sorry, but you do. There is precisely one other poster, from Louisiana, whom I shall not mention by name, who fits the same category. As a matter of principle, I never put any poster on ignore. Not even you.

Quentin,

That’s a new twist.

-Taiwanese aren’t Black, so they haven’t suffered enough to understand racism.

Only David Duke is entitled to be called racist? :laughing:

If one Chinese ethnic group uses the same nativist and majority argument against another Chinese ethnic group that whites have been using against every other group that came after them in the US, it is copasetic?

Deleted post.

This is not even worth the bother.

[quote=“LA”]That’s some good green kool-aide. :smiley:[/quote] Good old LA, the green kool aide police commander. Sure is easy to spot a bottle of green when you’re swimming in an ocean of blue isn’t it?

[quote=“Quentin”]Deleted post.

This is not even worth the bother.[/quote]
Because I’m right and your previous argument was naive to say the least… :laughing:

Ethnic Identity is important in US and Taiwan politics to state otherwise doesn’t reflect the reality of the times.

AC as others say, you are the racist here - and no, I don’t think you have been exposed to real racism - ever.

A bit of bullying at school is something you should enable yourself to move on from, unless your ego is too weak for that, that is.

Of course I’m one of the most privileged individuals on the planets. :laughing:
Everyone bows to my superior intellect and immense wealth. Not to mention my good looks…
But at last, this thread is not about how great my life is, because that would just cause unnecessary envy among the less fortunate.

So please try to stay on topic…
:unamused: