The United Kingdom of Great Britain, NI and France

[quote=“fenlander”]…Good points made here.
Many foreigners come to Taiwan and say Taiwanese food is shit. When you ask them how much they spend it is usually about 80 taiwan dollars. Well if you want really good Chinese/Taiwanese food then be prepared to pay a bit more and you will be surprised at how good it is. Spend a 1000 Taiwan dolars in a good restaurant (still cheaper than going to a good restaurant in the west). You will be amazed at how good the food is here.[/quote]

Actually this is useful to know. I never understood how people could complain about the food in Taiwan as I think it is fantastic, but then I am living in my ivory tower and rarely (if ever) spend less than a grand on dinner.

I have had some interesting street food on tourist type excursions to the night market but I certainly wouldn’t want to live on it. Thanks for the eye opener though. :laughing:

Of course the joke is that some of the best food in Taiwan, irrespective of price, can be had for much less than a grand. Not all of it is touristy, night market food

:offtopic:

“English Cuisine” :roflmao:

That can’t be a Belgian flag there, surely…

Com’on Look at this. It states on the left upper side and is choosen to be the best fitting stereotype.
I do not agree on the French. Should be “French serenity” haha!

[quote=“fenlander”]Many foreigners come to Taiwan and say Taiwanese food is shit. When you ask them how much they spend it is usually about 80 taiwan dollars. Well if you want really good Chinese/Taiwanese food then be prepared to pay a bit more and you will be surprised at how good it is.[/quote]Some of the best food is actually very reasonably priced. The difficult thing is knowing where to find it. You need “local knowledge” which means what it says: somebody who lives in the particular town or village who can show you the good places.

And some of the more expensive food isn’t really that great, and you’re paying for swanky decor. Not saying that there aren’t good places, just that there isn’t a direct relationship between quality and price.

But I agree with you that there’s lots of decent British cooking.

[quote=“Taffy”]Previously classified documents from the 50s reveal that French PM Guy Mollet proposed a union between the UK and France.

[quote=“The BBC”]“When the French Prime Minister, Monsieur Mollet was recently in London he raised with the prime minister the possibility of a union between the United Kingdom and France.”

So, when Eden turned down his request for a union between France and Britain the French prime minister came up with another proposal.

This time, while Eden was on a visit to Paris, he requested that France be allowed to join the British Commonwealth. This, if accepted, would make the Queen France’s head of state.[/quote]

La vie est vachement bizarre, non?

This seems such a weird idea to me - I understand Mollet was desperate, but considering the historical antipathy between the two peoples and French pride, such a union seems unimaginable, especially in relinquishing French sovereignty to the UK. A truly intriguing notion.[/quote]

Guess it depends on how much of their sovereignty they wished to relinquish ( go to a dominion status, Oath of Allegiance ?? - which the French may have a problem with along with what rights and ownership would the British have to France’s colonies in Africa and IndoChina), and motive behind it all… Don’t know was it entirely for security, both times they were overrun in the 20th century, the UK both by location and having a common enemy helped to liberate them. There enconom y was in bad shape after the war so perhaps it was more encomic than political

Perhaps economic union but that has been achieved (whether it be good or bad by the EU)

No doubt when King De Gaulle got into power this became a mute subject