The unwritten rules of making your teaching job go smoothly

1. Anything you write in the contact books that indicates the child has a problem doing anything will be held against you. You will either be blamed for the problem, or blamed for your inability to correct it, or the parent get his/her face back by making a baseless complaint about you.

2. The old adage “there are no silly questions” is false. Any question you ask your boss in an effort to be a better teacher will be construed as you not knowing how to teach.

1. There’s nothing optional about “casual invitations” to school events.

2. Making an example of one or two kids on the first day will make discipline go MUCH smoother.

Practice nodding a lot. Don’t disagree with anything, even when you have no intention with following local educative examples.
Always remind yourself that education is about revenue, not about education; but never say this out loud as it is considered impolite to remind others of this. Its an unspoken rule.

Always begin practicing speech contests and performances at least three months in advance and dedicate each and every lesson to perfecting them. Performances are not artistic expressions, but are a gauge of teaching ability.

Remember there is no such thing as an evil spoiled little bastard child. They must be referred to as energetic children with potent personalities and highly motivated expressionist skills.

Don’t ask for a pay rise because you think you deserve it. Never believe in yourself in front of others. Instead express how you love your teaching environment so much and you are sad because you can no longer afford to work there. If only there was some way for this world to allow you to continue with your work in what is surely the best school in human history, with the only boss that really understands you and shows so much professionalism and empathy.

1. People are people, and the only thing that matters in the world of work is the relationships you build.

Um yeah… guanxi. Bosses are much more interested in money and the potential of money than in “relationships”. So if you make money for your boss, it’s likely there will be a good relationship. Make said money by following the rules on this thread.

Um yeah… guanxi. Bosses are much more interested in money and the potential of money than in “relationships”. So if you make money for your boss, it’s likely there will be a good relationship. Make said money by following the rules on this thread.[/quote]

And even if you make money for them, it doesn’t guarantee that you won’t be dragged into the main road and shouted at!

So, unwritten rule number 8: Do a good enough job, keep a low profile, kiss ass like crazy (something I can’t do), and make favorable comments on a new hairstyle, clothes etc… especially if your laoban is a woman. This may or may not earn you some brownie points.

1. Expext the unexpected. What’s good today isn’t always good tomorrow.

I like how getting an education is so yesterday and kissing the bosses arse is the in thing to do. Screw the students, please the boss and keep your job (by making sure he/she has enough Vaseline to royally fsck you each and every time).

Strange times we live in. Now where’s my bottle of Vodka and an orange I need to drown my sorrows and not catch a cold.

1. never mention the fact that we profit from the ineffective ‘education’ of children
  1. Don’t smoke if you’re a female.

Um yeah… guanxi. Bosses are much more interested in money and the potential of money than in “relationships”. So if you make money for your boss, it’s likely there will be a good relationship. Make said money by following the rules on this thread.[/quote]

Do we have an emoticon on here for “straw man”?

Never EVER complain that a Chinese employee did/does something wrong. From the janitor to the principal. Bite the bullet EVERY TIME. That, I believe, is the first and most important rule because it doesn’t matter how good a teacher you are and how you never break any of the other very valid rules mentioned above. If you make someone lose face, you’re royally fucked. It took me two years struggling with my old ways of “saying what I think first and foremost.” The following three years until now have been smooth sailing. I can’t stand one of the Chinese teachers I work with at the moment. She’s an awful teacher, but as far as she knows, she does a great job in my book and I know better than to go even near changing her perceptions in that regard. And so it goes…

marboulette

Make your students feel good about themselves. If you can’t do this with English–I mean if their English is nothing to brag about–do it with whatever you’ve got, but always be genuine. Who doesn’t want to spend time with someone who makes them feel great!

BE and English teacher. Actually try your best to improve their English.

You know you’re “good” when you get the gossip. If you never have anyone comming to you complaining about boss or other teacher, it’s cause the’re likely complaining about you. That, and the first one, go for just about everwhere.

And the universal–follow the [color=#FFBF00]Golden Rule.[/color]

That seems to depend where he/she stands in the pecking order; if it’s someone held in disdain by everyone else, the best move is to join in and make that person’s life a living hell until he/she leaves or becomes favourable overnight.

Make left-handed compliments to your boss about people you don’t like. “Ekosoo’s office has fewer cockroaches than it did last month; she must be taking better care of it.” “Dakou’s doing really well for someone who’s not naturally organized.” “Hsiaoniao is a good teacher, so it’s not his fault, but I’m worried that maybe the children aren’t learning so quickly this year.”

Oops… maybe I should have posted this under “The unwritten rules of being an ideal Taiwanese employee.”

That’s funny. :laughing:

The thing is, by talking about it to someone else, you are not directly making that person lose face. It’s different, and what you said about being an “ideal Taiwanese employee” is precisely the dynamic involved behind the importance of not making a Taiwanese employee lose face.

marboulette

Own the school you teach in…