The Value of Family Meals Together

It’s the simple stuff that binds us and makes us better people. :slight_smile:

Have a listen on NPR.org

npr.org/templates/story/stor … Id=5048043

One of the cardinal rules/rituals in our family. I think we all look forward to it. To debrief, ask questions, complain about Daddy’s cooking (ergh…onion!!), encourage children to talk about adult things and to reinforce the fact that they have valuable opinions to offer. Mrs Llama works late quite a lot and the kids get cross that she isn’t home for dinner on time!
Can’t stand it when my sister-in-law feeds the family around the d#@ed TV :fume:

[quote=“jdsmith”]It’s the simple stuff that binds us and makes us better people. :slight_smile:

Have a listen on NPR.org

npr.org/templates/story/stor … Id=5048043[/quote]

Oh please, my dinners with my family drove me to smoke. :laughing: :laughing: No that sugggestion is probably very valid, as kids and parents are more apt to know what’s going on in each other’s lives and parents are more able to make more of an impact with their children.

To me, the family meal is about much more than family cohesiveness. Family meals also provide an opportunity for teaching responsibility

[quote]The average child under five is exposed to 20,000 TV commercials a year (and watches 25.5 hours of TV per week)

[quote=“smell the glove”]To me, the family meal is about much more than family cohesiveness. Family meals also provide an opportunity for teaching responsibility

Ouch, this tread make me feel guilty. Only 3-4 times a week we sit around the dining-table at home having dinner together. The other 3-4 times, we eat out or have pizza/fingerfood around the TV or separated in kids’ TV-room and living room.

I hope they will grow up to be good persons anyway…

I have my dinner on my desk. :blush:

Not for long. :wink:

[quote=“X3M”]Ouch, this tread make me feel guilty. Only 3-4 times a week we sit around the dining-table at home having dinner together. The other 3-4 times, we eat out or have pizza/fingerfood around the TV or separated in kids’ TV-room and living room.

I hope they will grow up to be good persons anyway…[/quote]
]
Sounds like you have dinner together, and not like many kids I see here, who leave school, pick up dinner at 7-11, mc donalds,etc and study while ma and pa are still working for what?

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“X3M”]Ouch, this tread make me feel guilty. Only 3-4 times a week we sit around the dining-table at home having dinner together. The other 3-4 times, we eat out or have pizza/fingerfood around the TV or separated in kids’ TV-room and living room.

I hope they will grow up to be good persons anyway…[/quote]
]
Sounds like you have dinner together, and not like many kids I see here, who leave school, pick up dinner at 7-11, mc donalds,etc and study while ma and pa are still working for what?[/quote]
Now, THAT is very true and so sad!!!

I think our home is pretty traditional in that dinner is on the table at 6:00 when Ba comes home for work. We eat togetehr then play a bit before kids are in the bath then bed. I hope that continues for a long time but I’m afraid they day will come when they’ll no longer want to eat with us. :frowning:

Not for long. :wink:[/quote]

Things that are calling…

[ul]Mashed potatoes
Roast Lamb
BBQ’s
Real diabetic food
Christmas cake (telling Mom to put one on ice)
Pavalova
Food not cooked in oil
Walks on real beaches
Golf
Basketball
Music
Friends
A life
Soccer for the boys
KFC with real side dishes
Shopping malls NOT department stores
Normal working hours
Normal summer weather
Snow and skiing[/ul]

All of these and more are calling. Sadly, the oldest doesn’t have good meal time habits. My mom is going to freak! Not as much as the Mrs though when she has to eat Kiwi food.

Agreed - it’s definitely an uphill climb, isn’t it? What with time constraints and all the options for eating out in Taiwan (something we probably all take routine advantage of), the home meal simply isn’t always an option. There are aspects of the “sit down meal” that can apply anywhere, though - restaurants and night market stalls are also great opportunities for family socializing (not to mention a change of scenery and tasty eats), if not always a chance for teaching about responsibility and nutrition. In our house, we only have a few sit-down meals at home in a given week, but it seems to me that it’s the quality, and not necessarily the quantity, that counts.