The VERY LAST Grateful Dead Thread

Every day. I still listen to the Dead every day, on wax, or cassette or digital magic. Seems like the least I could do.

What a band. What a good time.

On the bus since Saratoga '88.

I need to get back to the US for one last trip at one last show.

1 Like

We saw D&Co in Hartford last year. That may be it for me. Unless they play Saratoga again. That might be fitting.

My last was at the Columbus amphitheater in the early 2000s.

You must be jonesin’.

I last saw them at Wrigley 5 years ago. My in-laws flew into Chicago from Taiwan and we had to drive there to pick them up. They were worried about navigating connecting flights with no English skills and thought Minnesota was a lot closer than it actually is.

2 Likes

They’re still around? I last saw them in '93. I followed summer tour. Went venue to venue hitching rides and sleeping rough.

1 Like

They started touring with John Mayer about 7 or 8 years ago. It still feels a little funny to write that. But they sound good.

1 Like

The last Grateful Dead show was in 1995.

1 Like

No, but former members tour in various configurations. My recent favorite is Philco. None of them are, or should in any way be considered, Grateful Dead even if they have “dead” in their name. Dead Kennedys and Dead Milkmen are fun, though.

1 Like

Yeah, I hear that, but no one knew how this thing was going to play out. Jerry, Bob, Mickey and Phil all had their side gigs during the 70,80s and 90s. Phil and Friends had a really nice lineup and a revolving door for a few years.

I’ve seen D&Co a few times, but it never held me. Even the set lists with stuff Jerry had given up on, Lost Sailor>St. of Circumstance, for example, or last year, ST Stephen>William Tell> the eleven. All that was nice, but at first I thought, “It’s not Jerry,” and then “It’s Mayer.”

The vibe at the shows is remarkably similar, but older and fatter and richer. The band, as far as I’m concerned takes the stage with a shrug. The last fun show I saw was Albany 1993, when they unexpectedly pulled out Here Comes Sunshine

I guess Grateful Dead Enterprises can start picking the bones, release more shows on vinyl and whatnot.

1 Like

Yep, and I was 8. Can still have fun with the rest of the members.

The last fun show I saw was the last one I was at. Just like every Ween show, the last one was the best one ever.

1 Like

The best Dead show was always the next one.

1 Like

Got a good friend who runs a radio show playing all Dead. He doubted Mayer too at first but then full on convert going back on Dead tours. I’ve seen them and was equally impressed but I don’t have a comparison with Jerry.

1 Like

I gotta say, this might be the first thread that has me missing home at all. It’s been 7 months since I moved back here and I’ve yet to see any live music. Would definitely fork over a 500NT cover fee for even a mic’d-up acoustic version of Me & My Uncle or Baby Bitch at this point. Don’t know if anyone knows of any good shows around these days.

I lived in Taoyuan 10 years ago, right next to the Monarch Plaza and this bar, I think it was called Chiefs, that had live music every weekend. Usually Bon Jovi and Journey covers and whatnot, but it was still music. Haven’t seen any this time around though. Probably the 'vid still has something to do with that.

1 Like

Xmas special. Was looking for something totally unrelated to the Dead and the video algorithm rewarded me with a long road trip I was on once upon, to Cincinnati, and then Louisville, KY at a cow palace kind of venue the following night.

So, if you have five hours, enjoy!

Nice little Jerry acoustic show.

The name put me off I don’t know a
single dead song

Thought they were gone since long ago

Sorry to be sacrilegious

We exist though those of us that dont know Grateful Dead

But they have so many fans it will take another generation for them to be forgotten

They’re growing fans. My coteacher has a dead tattoo. She was 8 when Jerry died.

We will survive.

1 Like