The war in Iraq - Part 5

Fred, the only one you’re pulling is yourself. You are not the only one in this forum who has worked in the M.E.

Change is occurring in the M.E. Some of it is positive. Some of it is not. Some of it the jury is still out. Since you’ve been there, then you’ll know that “reforms” have occurred before, only to be rolled back. Will these “improvements” stand the test of time?

[quote=“jaboney”]I know a number of people from the region who have completed doctoral degrees in Political Science, and of these, none believe that Saddam was a threat, nor that the war was an excellent policy.[/quote] Not all that sure they would appreciate this ignorance on their part being widely made known.

Fine. Who else? You? When and where?

Travel cures ignorance but it has no palliative effect whatsoever on foolishness.

I went to Zurich once.

How do you all think the recent attacks in Jordan will hurt/help the Iraqi Insurgent Terrorists?

Pissing off the Jordanians, and the Palestinians living there too for that matter can go both ways…seeing the US and allies as the cause and getting mad at them, or seeing that the ITs are the main problem here, not the allies infidels and helping them turn on the lights in their own kitchens and sending the rats a scurrying?

I’ve never been to the MI, but I own some Iraqi dinars. :unamused:

That’s a good point jd. I don’t thind the terrorists have fully thought out how they will win the peace.

How about yourself? Talk is cheap. I know exactly where I’ve been, and haven’t been.

I know that where ever I go, whatever I do, I am always directly over the center of the earth.

In that I find solace.

Elequa:

I have not been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Libya or Sudan. I have been everywhere else in the Middle East and northern Africa repeatedly. Back to you. And that is over a 22 year period by the way.

Let’s see thinks Fred imagining Elequa’s response: I have been to a resort in Turkey for like two weeks but I learned a lot about the carpets there and my neighbor knows someone from Egypt. I also made a stopover in Dubai on my way to Asia.

How’d I do? haha

[quote=“fred smith”]Elequa:

I have not been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Libya or Sudan. I have been everywhere else in the Middle East and northern Africa repeatedly. Back to you. And that is over a 22 year period by the way.

Let’s see thinks Fred imagining Elequa’s response: I have been to a resort in Turkey for like two weeks but I learned a lot about the carpets there and my neighbor knows someone from Egypt. I also made a stopover in Dubai on my way to Asia.

How’d I do? haha[/quote]

Now now…let him respond.

I’m not going to talk about my job, but let say it is not related to English teaching and it has something to do with money.

I have not been to Iraq, Somolia, Lybia or Sudan either. Several of those would have caused me to have to do some explaining to do upon my return no?. I have also looked over the border at Afghanistan, but did not go. I missed Iran as well (So your Iran experience is pre-'79?). I’ve also missed Yemen & Lebanon due to the recent unpleasantness. That still leaves a number of countries over 5 years. Much of which was spent in a land that starts with a vowel and whose is associated with various world conspiracies.

But, since you asked, I did spend a 2 two week tour in Turkey that included eastern Turkey. My great-grandfather was a friend of Ataturk - so it was interesting to follow-up on some family history.

Your extra post just shows what an arrogant a$$ you can be at times.

Most recently 2002.

[quote]
I’ve also missed Yemen & Lebanon due to the recent unpleasantness. [/quote]

Lebanon has been relatively safe for quite some time. I have been back many times in the past five years. Even before that it was pretty safe, say, since 1994?

All the rest? Really? Or just tell us which ones you have been to.

Been to Israel. Used to study at Hebrew U in 1985 for a month after a semester in American U Cairo.

Probably learned a lot about carpets too?

I got the Turkey part right, didn’t I? And I did say two weeks and that was right wasn’t it? Also, you are in “money” so a stopover in Dubai? It is the financial capital of the Middle East right? So looks like I may be arrogant but I am also very often right, right?

You could do a poll and probably find most in agreement. Many more that don’t even visit IP because of one Fred Smith.

You could do a poll and probably find most in agreement. Many more that don’t even visit IP because of one Fred Smith.[/quote]

That kind of poll would not last long. It would be considered trolling and a personal attack.

Thanks for shopping. The nile isn’t just a river in…uhm, the Denile…ahh shit.

You could do a poll and probably find most in agreement. Many more that don’t even visit IP because of one Fred Smith.[/quote]

That kind of poll would not last long. It would be considered trolling and a personal attack.

Thanks for shopping. The nile isn’t just a river in…uhm, the Denile…ahh shit.[/quote]
Yeah, if I did that it would be trolling. But if anybody says anything remotely uncomplimentary about any US Republican administration official, Fred will tell them to go back to the open forum and discuss what thier favorite color is. He will tell anybody opposed to the war in Iraq that they have never been to Iraq so don’t have an opinion that counts. Or he’ll keep repeating some lame-ass comment like there is not a river called the Nile or some such bullshit. But that’s not trolling. No it isn’t.

First, I note that no one has said that they believe that I am wrong in my assessments only that I am arrogant. Okay.

Second, denial ain’t a river in Egypt is MFGR’s line not mine.

Third, the problem is many of these posters cannot back up their arguments and so they leave.

Fourth, I don’t particularly care if that bothers them.

The funny thing is that Fred’s experiences in the Mideast have apparently skewed his outlook on what Americans expect from their government.

Now, I didn’t get to spend years as hookah-boy for some pasha in Persia, and I didn’t work night shifts as harem guard, but I sure as heck know that the American people don’t like it when an elected official plays with our troops’ lives in an Ahabesque quest to get some closure on daddy’s unfinished war. They like it even less when the leader lies to them about those Americans he’s using like toy soldiers.

Cluephone is ringing, but if the GOP leadership doesn’t want to listen to the American people they can keep right on endorsing this stupid “Project for a New American Century” neocon crap.

Different computer no ignore…

MFGR. Was Saddam a concern for Clinton and Democrat Party leaders? Yes or No. Did they call for action against Saddam? Yes or no. Did they say that we had to act now and could not wait and that he had had his chance to reform? Yes or no.

So what’s your point? You’re mad someone finally acted?

Fred, it is amusing that you think you’ve got the market cornered of “being right” - you don’t even know to think outside of the little dogmatic box you live in. So why waste our time telling you where you’re wrong- pearls before swine eh? 'course at times my curiosity get the best of me.

Like much of the “right” - you’ve got most of the world on ignore.

Soooo…enough about me… what about you Fred.

I still haven’t heard what your experiences in the M.E. are yet, and why they make you such an expert. (remember the definition of that?). No, let me guess - you could tell us but you’d have to kill us?

BTW: You are 83% incorrect