The war in Iraq - Part 6

:slight_smile: Historical Revision 34: Everybody had the same intelligence and came to the same conclusion.:slight_smile:

“At a meeting of the Senate intelligence committee on Sept. 5, 2002, CIA Director George Tenet was asked what the National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) provided as the rationale for a preemptive war in Iraq. An NIE is the product of the entire intelligence community, and its most comprehensive assessment. I was stunned when Tenet said that no NIE had been requested by the White House and none had been prepared. Invoking our rarely used Senatorial authority, I directed completion of an NIE.”

Tenet objected, saying that his people were too committed to other assignments to analyze Saddam Hussein’s capabilities and will to use chemical, biological and possibly nuclear weapons. We insisted, and three weeks later the community produced a classified NIE".

There were troubling aspects to this 90-page document. While slanted toward the conclusion that Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction stored or produced at 550 sites, it contained vigorous dissents on key parts of the information, especially by the departments of State and Energy. Particular skepticism was raised about aluminum tubes that were offered as evidence Iraq was reconstituting its nuclear program. As to Hussein’s will to use whatever weapons he might have, the estimate indicated he would not do so unless he was first attacked."

Under questioning, Tenet added that the information in the NIE had not been independently verified by an operative responsible to the United States. In fact, no such person was inside Iraq. Most of the alleged intelligence came from Iraqi exiles or third countries, all of which had an interest in the United States’ removing Hussein, by force if necessary.

The American people needed to know these reservations, and I requested that an unclassified, public version of the NIE be prepared. On Oct. 4, Tenet presented a 25-page document titled ‘Iraq’s Weapons of Mass Destruction Programs.’ It represented an unqualified case that Hussein possessed them, avoided a discussion of whether he had the will to use them and omitted the dissenting opinions contained in the classified version. Its conclusions, such as “If Baghdad acquired sufficient weapons-grade fissile material from abroad, it could make a nuclear weapon within a year,” underscored the White House’s claim that exactly such material was being provided from Africa to Iraq."

[b]From my advantaged position, I had earlier concluded that a war with Iraq would be a distraction from the successful and expeditious completion of our aims in Afghanistan. Now I had come to question whether the White House was telling the truth – or even had an interest in knowing the truth."

On Oct. 11, I voted no on the resolution to give the president authority to go to war against Iraq. I was able to apply caveat emptor. Most of my colleagues could not."[/b]
– Senator Bob Graham, chairman of the Senate Select Intelligence Committee in 2002

[color=blue]Have “these people”, at long last, no shame?[/color]

Back to Iraq for the mo’.

Hitchens has a good piece in Slate on US military acknowledgement that news articles written by American troops had been placed as paid advertisements in the Iraqi news media. In the process he takes a swipe at the plans to hit Al Jazeera.

Great quote.

The prostitute journalist is a familiar and well-understood figure in the Middle East, and Saddam Hussein’s regime made lavish use of the buyability of the regional press. Now we, too, have hired that clapped-out old floozy, Miss Rosie Scenario, and sent her whoring through the streets.

As I have stated many times, I was opposed to Iraq at the outset but now I see no other way than a firm committment by the US and others to stay and sort it out . . . this shit, including the insane plans to knock off Al Jazeera, are making that road a whole lot harder to hoe.

There are indeed similarities in the Vietnam sense . . six o’clock follies ringing any bells? You’d really think the US military would learn from the past, really!

HG

The actual term was “The 5 o’clock Follies.” Press briefings usually conducted on the roof top patio of the InterContinental just prior to Happy Hour. It was here that the majority of the journalistas compared their notes and wrote their dispatches to be wired back to the world by their assistants.
I was not at any of them, being otherwise occupied, but I remember hearing quite a lot of scuttlebutt about them.

Iraq War Casualties:

2003: 579 dead,
2004: 905 dead
2005: 847 dead (as of Dec. 5)

It would seem that Bush might eventually start to take his responsibilities seriously and stop handicapping our troops with stupid, counterproductive antics. Far more than what we can do with guns and bombs, we’ve got to take on the hearts and minds of the Middle East – to take action on a variety of levels in ways that undermine their previous prejudices and ignorances instead of playing right into them.

Whether it’s Bush talking about this being a “crusade” (playing right into the hands of the extremists), lining up his crony oil buddies with Iraqi oil deals (playing into the fears of nationalists), or getting together plans to bomb Al Jazeera (playing into fears that despite all his talk about “freedom”, Bush is just another hypocrite), it is hard to calculate how many American lives have been lost because Bush has made America so easy to hate.

Any proof of that bombing claim? the oil deals? no? surprise surprise

Do you mean this bombing?

[quote]
SEYMOUR HERSH: And there’s no statistics. I

Oil deals?..how about Kurdish Oil Deals?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle … 488786.stm

kurdmedia.com/articles.asp?id=10745

news.ft.com/cms/s/69b2f3b2-6317- … e2340.html

A new kettle of fish.

Bastard Norwegians moving in on American oil fields!

Bush coming into the middle east with his talk of crusades, his oil-crony buddies, and the torture of kidnapped captives and plans to bomb al Jazeera just aren’t good for the U.S. image. Even if his intentions for the middle east were good, he arouses so many suspicions that it has undermined the larger struggle.

Apparently Bush is the kind of guy who would think it appropriate to show up to a rape-crisis center with duct tape and a shotgun with his penis hanging out.

MFGR:

Did I miss your “proof” of any planned bombing? You quote the biased Hersch to say that essentially there is no proof because fewer details are being given out. That is not the same as proof that the bombing would take place. Thanks for playing.

You are getting sloppy. Please do not post the rebuttal of your own point in the same quotation and not expect us not to notice because it is not bolded…

[quote=“fred smith”]MFGR:

Did I miss your “proof” of any planned bombing? You quote the biased Hersch to say that essentially there is no proof because fewer details are being given out. That is not the same as proof that the bombing would take place. Thanks for playing.

You are getting sloppy. Please do not post the rebuttal of your own point in the same quotation and not expect us not to notice because it is not bolded…

I’m getting sloppy? Hey, I’m not the one who provided that quote. You’d better start reading more carefully who’s offering up what ideas in this thread … at least quit hanging out with Wavy Gravy’s pals in the acid palace behind Sogo. :rainbow:

[quote=“fred smith”] You are getting sloppy. Please do not post the rebuttal of your own point in the same quotation and not expect us not to notice because it is not bolded…

That’s not a rebuttal that’s acknowledgment of the fact that these things are complicated and take time. As I am sure you yourself would predict American and British oil companies will gain access to Iraqi oil eventually. That was the main reason for this war. American tax dollars were spent and American lives were lost in order that American oil companies could turn a profit and guarantee a stable supply of energy to the American people. That the the American people would have never supported this thing if there wasn’t some promise of it being wrapped up with the installation of a “stable” democratic government is a sort of fringe benefit to the Iraqi people, if it ever happens of course. Lets not bullshit each other any longer shall we that there was an imminent threat. Or that the Bush administration’s real interest was in releasing people from tyranny. That may indeed be the effect, and watching Saddam stand trial has to be the highlight of many an Iraqi’s life, but what this was about really was the oil.

Fresh Paint!!- the defeatocrats always skip over the fresh paint.

[quote]WASHINGTON, Dec. 7 - President Bush on Wednesday cited a teaching hospital in Najaf as perhaps the top example of a successful rebuilding project in Iraq. Since the American-led attack against local militias leveled large portions of Najaf in August 2004, however, the hospital has been most notable as a place where claims of success have fallen far short of reality.

During two visits to the hospital by reporters for The New York Times over the past year, the most recent in late summer, work on refurbishing it had been limited to largely cosmetic work like new ceilings and lighting and fresh paint. Critical medical equipment was missing and the upper floors remained a chaotic mess.

Numerous Iraqis at the site said the hospital had not been ruined by the militia that occupied it during the 2004 fighting, but instead by looters who entered after the American military left it unguarded after the battle.[/quote]
nytimes.com/2005/12/08/inter … build.html

The story as I recall was a classified Downing Street Memo was leaked to the press, that’s how the Al Jazeera bombing plan got out. But, then there were threats and recriminations and no one has the balls to publish it.

[quote]22 November 2005
EXCLUSIVE: BUSH PLOT TO BOMB HIS ARAB ALLY
Madness of war memo
By Kevin Maguire And Andy Lines

PRESIDENT Bush planned to bomb Arab TV station al-Jazeera in friendly Qatar, a “Top Secret” No 10 memo reveals.

But he was talked out of it at a White House summit by Tony Blair, who said it would provoke a worldwide backlash.

A source said: “There’s no doubt what Bush wanted, and no doubt Blair didn’t want him to do it.” Al-Jazeera is accused by the US of fuelling the Iraqi insurgency.

The attack would have led to a massacre of innocents on the territory of a key ally, enraged the Middle East and almost certainly have sparked bloody retaliation.

A source said last night: "The memo is explosive and hugely damaging to Bush.

"He made clear he wanted to bomb al-Jazeera in Qatar and elsewhere. Blair replied that would cause a big problem.

“There’s no doubt what Bush wanted to do - and no doubt Blair didn’t want him to do it.”

[/quote]

link

[quote]Bush plot to bomb al-Jazeera is a conspiracy theory, says Blair
By Melissa Kite in Valletta
(Filed: 27/11/2005)

Tony Blair yesterday branded as a “conspiracy theory” claims that a leaked memo has revealed plans by President George W Bush last year to bomb the Arabic television station al-Jazeera.

The Prime Minister broke his silence on the issue as fresh concerns surfaced over the use of the Official Secrets Act to suppress the memo.

Mr Blair: 'But honestly, I mean, conspiracy theories

I appreciate the recaps of the War on Terror and in Iraq especially. Always good to see where we’ve been and where we’re going. Thanks again to Spook, MFGR, bob, et al. As always, it’s been a pleasure. :laughing:

Bodo

More good news about the citizenry of Iraq and their support of the Multi-National Coalition effort in their country.

[quote]Citizens Turn Over ‘Butcher of Ramadi’ to Iraqi, U.S. Troops
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Dec. 9, 2005

Quick question, what the heck is up with the current “Iraqi” government running all these secret prisons to torture inmates. I know it’s become standard practice for the U.S. to do these days, but why on earth are the Iraqis doing this?

Sounds like Iraq changed the management team but kept up wth same bad, old ways. Perhaps Bush can go join Saddam in the docket.

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
HE LIVED ALL ALONE,
IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF
PLASTER AND STONE.

I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY
WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,
AND TO SEE JUST WHO
IN THIS HOME DID LIVE.

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT,
A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,
NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS,
NOT EVEN A TREE.

NO STOCKING BY MANTLE,
JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,
ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES
OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.

WITH MEDALS AND BADGES,
AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,
A SOBER THOUGHT
CAME THROUGH MY MIND.

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,
IT WAS DARK AND DREARY,
I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER,
ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.

THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING,
SILENT, ALONE,
CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR
IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE,
THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER,
NOT HOW I PICTURED
A UNITED STATES SOLDIER.

WAS THIS THE HERO
OF WHOM I’D JUST READ?
CURLED UP ON A PONCHO,
THE FLOOR FOR A BED?

I REALIZED THE FAMILIES
THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,
OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS
WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.

SOON ROUND THE WORLD,
THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,
AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE
A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.

THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM
EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR,
BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS,
LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.

I COULDN’T HELP WONDER
HOW MANY LAY ALONE,
ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE
IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.

THE VERY THOUGHT
BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE,
I DROPPED TO MY KNEES
AND STARTED TO CRY.

THE SOLDIER AWAKENED
AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE,
"SANTA DON’T CRY,
THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE;

I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,
I DON’T ASK FOR MORE,
MY LIFE IS MY GOD,
MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS."

THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER
AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,
I COULDN’T CONTROL IT,
I CONTINUED TO WEEP.

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,
SO SILENT AND STILL
AND WE BOTH SHIVERED
FROM THE COLD NIGHT’S CHILL.

I DIDN’T WANT TO LEAVE
ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT,
THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR
SO WILLING TO FIGHT.

THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,
WHISPERED, “CARRY ON SANTA,
IT’S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE.”

ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH,
AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.
“MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,
AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.”

atexanabroad.blogspot.com/

Here’s another Christmas classic from 2002:

Saddam would be proud.
Saying that the neocons should be too. In the US you can be imprisoned indefinately for looking different - acting in a suspicious way.

Looks like the Kurd puppet regime have taken a leaf out of (insert a commie or fascist leader’s name here) book.

So this is what the US calls Democracy.

[url=http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/middle_east_full_story.asp?service_id=10423]Jailed for criticising U.S.-puppets

Dr. Qadir, a leading Kurdish academic and one of the region’s most prominent writers, has been sent to jail for 30 years for harshly criticising leaders of the U.S.-backed, KDP.[/url]