The ways to save electricity (money)

Summertime! It is getting hotter!

I think many forumosans use air conditioners.

Is there any way to save electricity while using high-electricity comsuming devices?

Erm, sleep naked, on top of the sheets?
Also use a fan instead of the air conditioning.

Yes. Switch them off.

Instead of that you could also focus on an energy efficient design (e.g. place the outside unit in a place with free airflow or in general, use good designed products), proper maintenance (e.g. clean filters regulary) or disciplined usage (e.g. only run it when you need it, don’t let it run with open windows, close doors, switch off standby functions, etc.)

Building isolation standards would save tons of energy, but there seem to be none in Taiwan.

Run the air-con at a setting of 22-24 degree, that should be comfortable enough. Setting it to 16 degree (or whatever) does not make it cool faster, and you won’t forget to change the setting once it’s cool. If it’s not that hot run it in dehumidifier-mode rather than cooling mode. And clean the filter regulary.

…or as well as. Using a fan gives you a wind chill factor so you can set the air con at a higher temperature. Ceiling fans are great for an all-round gentle breeze that helps your sweat evaporate and cool you down.

Wear sensible clothing. Annette Lu was spot on when she suggested wearing a “Taiwan shirt” (台灣衫 Taiwan shan) instead of a suit and tie. Western-style formal clothes are completely inappropriate for Taiwan, especially in summer. I often wear a sarong in my airconless home.

Right! sensible clothes!

I remebered my first day in office.
I wore short skirt because it was hot summertime
My supervisor asked my into his office, he closed the door, kind of weird.

He turned to me and said:
“your skirt is too short!”
“Tomorrow you should wear former dress!”

Damn, nothing happened!

I don’t use aircons. Just a (powerful) floor fan. Perfectly fine for balmy Bitan, I find. Plus, ac clogs my tubes and hurts my eyes. Plus, last night I discovered they’re having another Thai promotion thing in RTMart and they have very light and baggy Thai print trousers made of rayon that are very nice and cool for slopping around the house or even on the street on the weekend. And they cost – get this – just NT$88 per pair. They have shorts and shirts, too. Unbelievably cheap.

I keep cool by lowering my body temp through the intake of cold fluids.

When using air con, I block gaps such as those under doors with old towels and the like. I’ve also rigged up a curtain device that divides a hallway from the living room - it makes quite a difference.

OMG! Almas john has curtains! It’s the slippery slope, I’m telling you. Next thing you know he’ll be telling us about his fluffy toilet seat cover! Is NOTHING sacred?

It’s actually a blue shower curtain - quite manly as far as curtains go, yeah, more like a tarpaulin than curtains.

His weird obsession mirrors that of Forumosan almas john, who The China Post revealed was jailed for having sex with fluffy toilet seat covers in Taipei, Taiwan, in 2007.

Cheap Thai clothes? Warning: the colours tend to run - wash separately.

Wash? CLOTHES? I think you may be mistaking me for alms john or one of those other metrosexual types.

(Thanks for the hint though)

[quote=“Rascal”]
Run the air-con at a setting of 22-24 degree, that should be comfortable enough. Setting it to 16 degree (or whatever) does not make it cool faster, and you won’t forget to change the setting once it’s cool. If it’s not that hot run it in dehumidifier-mode rather than cooling mode. And clean the filter regulary.[/quote]

I was told to run the air-con at a setting of 28 degree and run electro-fan at same time to make the air flow.

Many suggestions, any theory behind it?

I was told to run the air-con at a setting of 28 degree and run electro-fan at same time to make the air flow.
Thats what we are told.

Clean your house .Don’t have many stuffs in your room.
Let the air circulates.

Can’t believe that none of you have posted the obvious: unplug all electrical appliances when they are not in use.

Switch off the main circuit breaker. No power consumption at all * - guaranteed or money back!

(* neighbours or near-by factories tapping into your supply excluded)

But seriously, I think the question was related to using the appliances but in a more efficient / power-saving way.

[quote=“kate.lin”]I was told to run the air-con at a setting of 28 degree and run electro-fan at same time to make the air flow.

Many suggestions, any theory behind it?[/quote]
No theory, just my experience (based on my personal comfort level). I only use the air-con at the aforementioned 22-24 degC, can’t be bothered with another appliance like a fan to cool the same room. In fact I have two fans standing around in my house which I would have sold or given away a long time ago but they belong to the landlady …

22-24 degC is freezing. I would die. That shit is why I carry a coat around in the summer here.

I hate air-con, it made me sick for a week.

It’s the begining of the summer, gees! I had two blackouts this afternoon on campus.

Imagine there would be electricity controll.

I have three airconditioners and a dehumidifier, which are powered by baby pandas on bicycles.