The Westin Lobby Bar - Most Expensive Beer in Town

I was in the Westin hotel last night and dropped in the lobby bar for a swift Heineken. I was presented with NT$300 +10% service.

NT$330 for a small Heineken, can anyone beat that?

That must be close to a 1000% mark-up.

[quote=“Mark0938”]I was in the Westin hotel last night and dropped in the lobby bar for a swift Heineken. I was presented with NT$300 +10% service.

NT$330 for a small Heineken, can anyone beat that?[/quote]

For a Heineken? :shock: I wouldn’t drink that swill if it was being given away.

If I remember correctly, Ziga Zaga either matches or tops that price. I recall paying NT$150 for a tiny bottle of water. At least the Westin doesn’t charge you NT$500 to come through the door to watch the working girls ply their trade. Still, the place (ZZ) hosts a great Sunday brunch buffet, so it’s not all bad.

Pangolin, do you have any details for that Sunday brunch? Type of grub? Cost? Ta!

Well this was a month or two ago, but they generally have a little of everything: a large haunch of roast beef, pizzas you assemble yourself and bake in wood fire oven, lots of salad choices, made-to-order risotto, fresh breads, roast beef, “free” champagne, eggs and other typical breaky stuff, oysters, cold cuts, and mmm did I mention roast beef? All this can be yours for about $NT650 per person if memory serves me. Not cheap, but… I heard they remodeled the Ziga Zaga since my last visit, so I don’t know if they still have the brunch going, but it is definitely worth checking out. I think it runs until about 2:30 p.m. …Ziga Zaga–it’s not just for cheap one-night stands…

I neglected to mention that there is a guy that goes table-to-table making balloon animals and doing card tricks. How cool is that? I assume he works there…

Nightclubs often charge over 200NT for water (to make money off those who are high so need to drink, but too high to make it to the 7-11). The most I’ve seen was 350NT for a tiny Evian which I guess costs about 20NT in the 7, so that’s getting close to 2000% mark-up

Brian