"the wife"

Good point, Omni, I wish I’d thought of that.

As a non-native English speaking person “the wife” sounds less respectfull but instead ‘critizising’ to me compared with the term “my wife”, in which I don’t see an ownership. At least I wouldn’t compare a wife with a dog or car somebody owns. People are not property (well, similar might apply to animals but still the human ranks higher).
I however understand that “the wife” can also be used as slang without any offence meant.

Fredericka, I think you’d die if you ever went to Aus. You’d take everything the wrong way.

Big Babou wrote[quote]It’s a commonly used term in Australia that carries no offensive reference[/quote]true

And again[quote]So, if someone wants to claim that a commonly accepted term from one country could somehow be construed as being a little off-colour in their home country, then it perhaps indicates their own lack of cultural understanding, rather than my sexist bias, especially when put in context of reading the claim on an “international” forum. [/quote]Good point. Actually KB material.

I happen to be going this summer!
:sunglasses:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t get overly offended by sexist men (well, some) because I grew up around them. I’m from Sandman’s generation! :wink:
I’m more like Soddom, I have an interest in discourse analysis. Nuances like this one pique my curiosity.

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”]Don’t get me wrong, I don’t get overly offended by sexist men (well, some) because I grew up around them. I’m from Sandman’s generation! :wink:
I’m more like Soddom, I have an interest in discourse analysis. Nuances like this one pique my curiosity.[/quote]

Well, if people like you and your ilk would of stayed in the kitchen where y’all belong, none of this syco-mumbo-jumbo would of even been discussed. AND WHERE’S MY DAMN CHITLINS, WOMAN?

Help I’m all confused …
I call her my wife and it sound possessive…
I call her a wife and I might as well give up my nads on a plate…
Now it looks like calling her the wife is out of bounds…

Unless we can come up with some alternatives I’ll have to start using her name … and I forgot it years ago!

No Omni, but nice try though. Within family circles, “the wife” is akin to “the kid.” No new loving mother or father would refer to their offspring as “the kid,” though a prospective stepmother or stepfather might. Same with the “the wife” or “the old man.” But you could easily refer to a teenage son as “the kid.”
Surely this is more related to how strong relationships are. A long-time, happily-married couple could easily refer to each other as “the wife” or “the old man,” but woe betide the unsure newlyweds.
I suppose “the wife” works fine within a group of married men and women, but if there are singles among the group, it gives off the distinct impression of “distance” (and therefore availability).
:smiley:
It’s kind of like explaining an “in joke,” which is of course, by nature, inexplicable.

Dear,
They happen to be ‘chitterlings’, and you can find them at any old street stall in Taiwan.

Chit’lins. Anywho, that’s no nevernomind. Don’t you go worryin’ your pretty little head about all this man talk. And make sure there’s plenty of pepper, there’s a good girl.

Whaoooo, Rascal… I strongly disagree. You’re being very humancentric in this case.

Err … my sister called her newborn “the sprog” which is far more derogatory than “the kid”, while my brother called his children “the trouble-makers”. Equally, if anyone they didn’t know well had called their children that, they would have been massively offended.

I suspect that this is all to do with the cultural stereotype of the Brits & Aussies (and others?) using insulting names for the ones they love, and getting a shocked reaction from everyone else.

This is what Eric Cartman has to say about women:

new.wavlist.com/tv/039/105_bitchass.wav

[color=red]
And if anyone is looking for a nice Chinese girl, look no further!
[/color]

bigbadchinesemama.com/home.html

That was in relation to “possession” though when choosing between a human and an animal’s life I would also choose the human over the animal.

I can choose (to posess) a dog and it won’t have much choice but I can’t choose to posess a wife, usually you need her to agree and say “I will”. :slight_smile:
Exceptions to the rule apply but usually it’s a mutual agreement or whatever you want to call it, not a case of possession.
“My wife” means to me it’s not somebody’s else wife, the “my” refering to the status of being a wife, not the person as such. IMHO.

[quote]Item 003- “I find you Oriental people so fascinating…” T-shirt
For those of you who spend too much time being accosted by perverts at bus stops, the “I taught English in Asia and let me tell you about my travels…” culture-vulturing guys, and gross carnival workers-- this is the shirt for you! Featuring a picture from the original BBCM site, this shirt is a collector’s item that will be worth double or triple its value in the next few years! Ok, maybe not-- but it is a damn funny shirt that will make them take a second guess before approaching you! The back of the shirt reads: “I bought my beautiful Asian bride at www.bigbadchinesemama.com” in red wonton font. Sizes: Baby T, Adult Medium $11.00[/quote]

Too funny!

And Lil’ Miss Deathwish is HOT!

“THE WIFE”

I am amused that anyone can find the term “the wife” sexist. I mean… errr… how can it be?

I call my wife Brian. She seems to like it.

How about “the ol’ ball and chain” or “the sperm bank”
These are much worse.

I prefer “the kid machine” - however, I don’t think the indoors would find it funny.

“My life’s in jeopardy, I ain’t been home since Friday night and now my wife is coming after me…”

Ah, the wife, the lovely ol’ wife, where would I be without The in my life.

Chou

[quote=“sandman”]/quote]

Too funny!

And Lil’ Miss Deathwish is HOT![/quote]

I like your sense humor.!

Chou

“I ain’t seen my wife in two or three years…
I’m a happily married man…”

Duane Allman