The Winner of Taiwan National Bird Selection

The winner is Formosan Magpie!

http://www.nationalbirdvote.com/vote.php

It is too bad that my personal favorite Little Egret is not among the candidates.

Little Egrets are everywhere, they eat garbage, they voice are horsen, they are full of strangth to adjust themselves to harsh environment! And we have a Taiwanese folksong for them!

[quote=“kate.lin”]The winner is Formosan Magpie!

http://www.nationalbirdvote.com/vote.php

It is too bad that my personal favorite Little Egret is not among the candidates.

Little Egrets are everywhere, they eat garbage, they voice are horsen, they are full of strangth to adjust themselves to harsh environment! And we have a Taiwanese folksong for them![/quote]

I’m glad the magpie won. It’s a wonderful looking bird. And they are all over the mountains out here in palookaville.

How did the yellow tit do? :smiley:

[quote=“jdsmith”]

How did the yellow tit do? :smiley:[/quote]

Reading posts is not as same as having conversation is real life; therefore, here is a problem.

I can interpret the question is many ways.

A real question
A joke, or
An insult

Do you think which one is my interpretation?

Reading posts is not as same as having conversation is real life; therefore, here is a problem.

A real question
A joke, or
An insult

Do you think which one is my interpretation?[/quote]
Let the smiley be your guide, and always assume the very best of the person posting. It makes conversation on the Internet a lot easier.

[quote=“Maoman”]… always assume the very best of the person posting. It makes conversation on the Internet a lot easier.[/quote]Words to live by there, or at least to post by.

A real question
A joke, or
An insult

Let the smiley be your guide, and always assume the very best of the person posting. It makes conversation on the Internet a lot easier.[/quote]
Yeah…its not like it was Mother Theresa was askin’ that question…:roflmao:

[quote=“kate.lin”][quote=“jdsmith”]

A real question
A joke, or
An insult

Just tell him to go eat ‘spotted dick’

[quote=“kate.lin”][quote=“jdsmith”]

A real question
A joke, or
An insult

No idea.

Considering that the Yellow Tit was actually one of the birds that was in the running, I think it’s a legitmate question to ask how many votes it got compared to the winner.

That it’s also funny is a bonus. :laughing:

No offense to the Formosan Magpie, which is also a pretty cool bird, but I might have voted for the simple Japanese White Eye, which are so abundant in the trees in my neighborhood.

But they’re not indigenous and neither is the egret. I’m glad its the beautiful Formosan magpie – well at least, as glad as one can be that a bird has an official title that’s worth absolutely diddly-squat.

Lets hope Tommy525 doesn’t see this thread :wink:

A website about Taiwan birds in English. :slight_smile:

http://taiwanbird.fhk.gov.tw/english/home.htm

Who is Tommy525? anyway

Ah, I didn’t read the rules. Didn’t realize only indigenous birds were eligible, though I guess that makes sense. As for egrets, they are beautiful, I too like them, but they must be second only to pigeons for the size of their global territory. Anywhere on earth where there are cows it seems there are egrets.

Unfortunately, there was a report a couple of days ago on the news that said that ever since the magpie won the competition, it has become prime target for thieves. Bird lovers complained about lax controls and the unscrupulous market practices. Sadly, at this rate, the bird will become endangered again.

I can’t understand why people like to keep birds in cage!
Most Taiwan birds are already in danger because of invasive species.
They already have many enemies, now people just join in the pack.
Now I think human being is the most dangerous invasive species since we walked out of Africa.

What did you think we were before now? Nice?

Top o’ the food chain.

This is not a Taiwan bird, but I didn’t know where else to post this video.

Check out this cool bird: youtube.com/watch?v=XBaPu-EeepQ

And here’s another really bizarre bird: youtube.com/watch?v=i-wtO7pjJKk

Or should I say two bizarre birds?

Weird huh?