The World knows FA

here’s the survey:

geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com … Survey.pdf

hmm, those canadians and brits didn’t exactly do that hot, either. :slight_smile:

and germany was one of the highest scoring countries. :stuck_out_tongue:

interestingly, 29% of american’s couldn’t identify the pacific ocean, but a full 48% of brits couldn’t. 41% of swedes couldn’t and 40% of the french couldn’t. not saying 29% is a good number, but without quoting some of the other results, there’s no sense of context.

Not surprisingly because it’s mostly referred to as Holland. :wink:

Not surprisingly because it’s mostly referred to as Holland. :wink:[/quote]

isn’t that kinda like when americans refer to all of great britain as england? they don’t like it when we do that. :stuck_out_tongue:

But the Pacific ocean is not one that laps the shores of the UK, Sweden and France, now is it. Even then the question is not directly comparable.

Had the question to Europeans been to identify the Atlantic, allowing for language translations, then the comparison might be more valid.

But the Pacific ocean is not one that laps the shores of the UK, Sweden and France, now is it. Even then the question is not directly comparable.

Had the question to Europeans been to identify the Atlantic, allowing for language translations, then the comparison might be more valid.[/quote]

fair or not, just pointing out that almost half of all brits couldn’t identify the largest body of water in the world. the survey makes EVERYONE look bad, but for some reason people only like to quote the stats that show americans in a bad light.

and if you were that interested in fairness you would be much more wary of the fact that a full 10 questions on the quiz involved identifying european countries. gee, no advantage to the europeans there, is there?

load of arse the lot of it. The vast majority of people of all nationalities a probably as thick as ‘W’. I am very proud of the levels of stupidity to which I and some of my fellow brits can ‘rise’. It can be quite endeering. The great thing about being stupid in the US is that with this American Dream thingy, even if you are stupid and couldn’t find your own way to the bathroom let alone to another country, you can still make it to the very top.

Comrade Stalin, I can honestly say that I have never once thought, “if the shit really hits the fan I can always go to the US.”

Beautiful post BB…lol

“We’re dumb as rocks and damn proud of it! Never mind that…some bloke in the USA is even more bollocked that me and my mates…so fuck off!”

Simply beautiful…lol

BB…just know…that if things go awry for you here in Taiwan, you can go to southern california and find a job. People with an “English accent” are in high demand there. The ‘quaint’ feature is adored in the land of ‘all flash and no substance.’

I speak from experience, this is not BS…lol.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]We always hear about how Americans are ignorant about the rest of the world…well, here’s a great exposition on what the world doesn’t know about America.

[/quote]

I don’t think I am Anti-American to any unusual degree… :wink:

BUT…

while I did work in the United States for six months once and I enjoyed it, I have never had any inclination whatsoever so emigrate there. Neither have any of my family or close friends…

Many do want to go there, of course, but it is an absolute myth that people everywhere go to bed only to dream of America!

When ppl in America go to bed, they just pray they don’t get a stray bullet from a drive-by…or maybe that was just da local neighborhood of Gary, Indiana I was living in… :laughing:

bob_honest

[quote]

USA is an attractive offer, being the only superpower left AND a democracy AND almost as big as one continent.

… and you have Milwaukee’s Best …

okay: now bring in the flag and the band of Angels :America:[/quote]

are we talking about the same country??
superpower??
democracy??
as big as one continent??

I am confused.

[quote=“robi666”]bob_honest

[quote]

USA is an attractive offer, being the only superpower left AND a democracy AND almost as big as one continent.

… and you have Milwaukee’s Best …

okay: now bring in the flag and the band of Angels :America:[/quote]

are we talking about the same country??
superpower??
democracy??
as big as one continent??

I am confused.[/quote]

… well, okay, I included Canada in USA. They have the same phone predial (01) so it must be the same country :smiley:

Democracy: well, people vote their president. And speach is free, so…

…ups…before I defended France, now I am in the position to defend USA? Okay, I volunteer for Global President before I am 80, promised. I will tell you more then …

demos and kratie
two Greek words
to vote for the president and freedom of speech does not match their meaning
the us now is more a plutocracy

but of course you are right:
Canada is a big country!

[quote=“robi666”]demos and kratie
two Greek words
[/quote]

ah joooooo, we end up floundred. I learned that in school also. If you want to start a discussion about Bush’s martial law, or sticking broomsticks in the behinds in some prisons in Irak or Holiday Clubs in Cuba (Hotel Commodoro is better than Guantanamo, guards also, but better drinks), then do it.

Quiz for you:

Is Denmark or Germany a democracy ?

… I just want to know how literal you are taking “democracy”…

Well Bob, i dont know about Denmark. To my understanding Germany has not passed the step to a plutocracy yet. But since most of Germans prefer to follow the US, it is just a matter of time.

you see… when two Germans start discussing USA in English, all Americans keep out of that :smiley:

Don’t worry US folks, when the sh…t is chin-high, you can always come to Europe. In fact, a few years ago they caught a former slum citizen of NY who was claiming to be from Poland and got with her family social welfare in Germany, even several times!
Have read it in “STERN” Magazine. Okay only one family so far we found. But who knows how the others disguise…

The writer has just got a bee in his bonet. The world knows sweet FA about any other country, its just Americans that make a fuss of it (as usual).

[quote]
I once had a guy from England tell me that what made his country great was how no matter how long I lived in England, I could never be English, but that he could come to the States and be an American right away. I told him he got it the wrong way around, that what he said is precisely why America is a great and growing country and his is not and will never be as long as he held that attitude.[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The writer and the English guy are obviously oblivious (or ignorant)? of all the foreign nationals in the UK with British passports. Becasue of our huge assylum problem, the government is handing out free passports to whoever. Then take all the Indians, Pakistanis Africans and Carribeans that have immigrated with their families and have been given British citizenship and passports you can see that the author is a little far off the mark.

Challenge Dangermouse:

Prove it. Prove it demanded one self-important poster. On average the US takes 1 million LEGAL immigrants every year. Wanna compare this with the UK? Really? Why not throw the whole world together and see if that adds up to 1 million. The French have the highest Muslim population, which amounts to 5 million out of 60 million. AND guess what? Most of them have been arriving since three to four generations ago, say 1950s. Now is 2004, do the math. I know you can because you Europeans are so much better at that than we Americans.

The total foreign born population in the US right now is nearly 40 million. Do the math. Do the math. Do the same for every other country with a lot of immigrants, Australia, NZ, Canada, UK, Germany and then maybe the Scandinavian countries, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and Greece. I really wonder if all those countries together would reach even 15 million, maybe 20 million for foreign born as opposed to immigrant population, then if you check immigrant that would have to be much lower right?

But I will let you track those figures down for me. You are the one that seems to think that Britain is swarming with foreigners, but as that Indian with his famed sign demonstrated. “We are here, because YOU were there.” Get it? Kinda nice don’t you think, all poetic and all. haha

you realize you germans don’t even elect your chancellor! and you only directly elect HALF of your parliment. with so many of your leaders chosen for you by your rich elite politicians, i wouldn’t be so quick to throw the “plutocracy” label around at others. :wink:

[quote]The total foreign born population in the US right now is nearly 40 million.

Do the math. Do the math. Do the same for every other country with a lot of immigrants, Australia, NZ, Canada, UK, Germany and then maybe the Scandinavian countries, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and Greece. I really wonder if all those countries together would reach even 15 million, maybe 20 million for foreign born as opposed to immigrant population, then if you check immigrant that would have to be much lower right?[/quote]

You’re talking out of your ass. The figures I hunted up further prove my point: while 100 years ago immigration was for a large part a “grand ole USA story,” it is now becoming a worldwide phenomenon.

USA pop. (2000): 281,421,906
Foreign-born (2000): 28,400,000
Proportion of foreign-born: 10.1%
http://www.census.gov

Selected

Source: census.gov/prod/2004pubs/p20-551.pdf

The tally for the countries other than the US in porcelainprincess’s list is 28.3 million.