The world's about to change: synthetic life form

The world is a-changing. The [color=#BF4000]wheel[/color] worked. [color=#BF4000]Electricity[/color] transformed everything. The [color=#BF4000]internet[/color] altered the world forever - but other changes are afoot. I’m reasonably entertained, alarmed, and intrigued about a possible new step forward.
guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ … -life-form

Cool!Science triumphs yet again!

Creationists have long been saying, “If evolution is scientific, why can’t life be synthesized in the lab?”

Of course, in their intellectual dishonesty, they’ll now change tack and say, “See? Intelligence is required to create life.”

i think the claimed synthetic life form is only a fuss they make to call for attention in order to get more funding from rich people who want immortal life. they just built the very simple genome and put it back in the living, existing bacterium, which is not difficult technology in the field of genetic engineering.

Remember there were also ‘scientists’ claiming they achieved nuclear fusion under normal temperature and pressure, which was proven to be a fake game in the end? and also Korea’s national scandal on stem cell research?

[quote=“golf”]i think the claimed synthetic life form is only a fuss they make to call for attention in order to get more funding from rich people who want immortal life. they just built the very simple genome and put it back in the living, existing bacterium, which is not difficult technology in the field of genetic engineering.

Remember there were also ‘scientists’ claiming they achieved nuclear fusion under normal temperature and pressure, which was proven to be a fake game in the end? and also Korea’s national scandal on stem cell research?[/quote]

Are you for real? Not difficult?
Actually not simple at all. This had been done with a virus a few years back but was not easy. A virus is not considered life so was not largely reported on this is one more large step in that break through. The hard part of this is getting it alive. As for your comment on money and rich people well perhaps research who Craig Ventor actually is. Ventor was the man responsible for completeing the human genome project so is no con man he is also extremely wealthy. Creating life, no matter bacteria or not is a massive breakthrough in science and something they have been working on for many years. Not simple at all.

Yes this is an extremely significant breakthrough and a worrying one as well.

[quote=“Chris”]Cool!Science triumphs yet again!

Creationists have long been saying, “If evolution is scientific, why can’t life be synthesized in the lab?”

Of course, in their intellectual dishonesty, they’ll now change tack and say, “See? Intelligence is required to create life.”[/quote]

Well it could be also be said that “intelligent design” is proved possible :wink:
Or they can blame it on Satan!

Not quite, I think they cheated here, they just copied off God’s test paper. When they can swirl some bits around in some homemade primordial soup and make something crawl out, then they’ll have something.

As to the risks, I guess at this point we have to keep rolling the dice, or we’re screwed anyway.

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“golf”]i think the claimed synthetic life form is only a fuss they make to call for attention in order to get more funding from rich people who want immortal life. they just built the very simple genome and put it back in the living, existing bacterium, which is not difficult technology in the field of genetic engineering.
[/quote]

Are you for real? Not difficult?
Actually not simple at all. This had been done with a virus a few years back but was not easy. A virus is not considered life so was not largely reported on this is one more large step in that break through. The hard part of this is getting it alive. As for your comment on money and rich people well perhaps research who Craig Ventor actually is. Ventor was the man responsible for completeing the human genome project so is no con man he is also extremely wealthy. Creating life, no matter bacteria or not is a massive breakthrough in science and something they have been working on for many years. Not simple at all.

Yes this is an extremely significant breakthrough and a worrying one as well.[/quote]

we think it’s ‘creating life’, but actually not. He took genes from a bacterium Mycoplasma mycoides, reconfigured the genes, and put them back to a close keen of baterium Mycoplasma capricolum. the problem is: Mycoplasma capricolum is existing, its cell wall, cell nuleus, metabolism, all functions… are not at all synthesized; how can it be called synthesized life form? the only synthesized part is only 5%, i think.

and Mycoplasma has fairly simple DNA constitution. it has some 500 genes, compared to industrially used bacteria like E coli and yeasts which had around 3000~5000 genes, there is still a far long way to go, and i hope those rich men and Venter have enough money and life span to continuously support this research.

yes it’s a breakthrough i admit. at least i’m not able to do it. but i think this breakthrough is not more valueable than we found a sparrow is trying to save his/her friend gotten hurt on the road in Taoyuan - this breaking news is valueable that we know animals have compassion and really deserve our respect, not the breaking news to spread the ambition to change the world by those lucrative place.

[quote=“fenlander”]
Or they can blame it on Satan![/quote]

the ice hockey player?

[quote]yes it’s a breakthrough i admit. at least I’m not able to do it. but I think this breakthrough is not more valueable than we found a sparrow is trying to save his/her friend gotten hurt on the road in Taoyuan - this breaking news is valueable that we know animals have compassion and really deserve our respect, not the breaking news to spread the ambition to change the world by those lucrative place.
[/quote]
what…the…hell?? :laughing: :laughing: :notworthy:

[quote=“hardball”][quote]yes it’s a breakthrough i admit. at least I’m not able to do it. but I think this breakthrough is not more valueable than we found a sparrow is trying to save his/her friend gotten hurt on the road in Taoyuan - this breaking news is valueable that we know animals have compassion and really deserve our respect, not the breaking news to spread the ambition to change the world by those lucrative place.
[/quote]
what…the…hell?? :laughing: :laughing: :notworthy:[/quote]

correct i’m a supporter of vegetarianism. :laughing: :laughing: :notworthy:

Some breakthrough. I’ve been a phony for a long time.

Actually we’re all synthetic lifeform. Genesis constantly talks about gods. But it is not actually talking about gods. It is actually talking about aliens creating human being.

And you’re an Operating Thetan?

Have you been reading books written by an ex English football commentator?

Have you been reading books written by an ex English football commentator?[/quote]

David Icke? Yes. But that’s only after I was abducted by those things, and they tried to erase my memory but botched it.