The worst people on the road in Taiwan....are white. <rant>

Not following, do you mean like it is dangerous driving on white lines because they can be slippery in the wet ? can’t you just drive in the lane between the white lines, isn’t that the point.
or
do you mean when driving at speed it is all but impossible to keep off those pesky lines when trying to keep in the lane and risk losing it (front or backend)? how about slowing down.
or
do you mean staying in lane people will think you are exiting early and pull out in front of you, as they have bumper in front right of way.
or
do you mean driving in the lane is dangerous because people will cut in front of you regardless? yes there is a tendancy for this.

Cutting across all the lanes is the right thing to do in Taiwan when adapting to the local system.

BTW: apart from Ren’ai/Dunhua is there any other roundabouts in TW ? I don’t get out enough.[/quote]

There is a roundabout near my home. I don’t know if they are all this way but with mine…people enter the circle and then make a straight line to whichever exit they want. If you tried actually staying in a lane…and going around in a circle you would be hit. I’ve been hit twice doing it the correct way…and finally I gave up. Now I just make a bee-line straight to whichever exit I want…the same as everyone else.

But even if everyone in my area stopped wearing helmets and shoes…I wouldn’t be so stupid as to change my riding habits in that way…as some foreigners seem to be doing.

Foreigners do not necessarily do dangerous things, but I bet they have little respect for the law, since the police in this country do not enforce it. I use to ignore the double yellow lines, until recently when I got a picture and ticket mailed to me. Still, I break as many laws as I can get away with if I am in a hurry to get somewhere , which seems to be all of the time in Taipei. I do not do too many dangerous things, but there has been the odd time that I was driving aggressively on a highway to race and cut off some other pig headed agressive driver, and rolled down the window to realize it was another foreigner. We were both surprised and embarassed at what we had become. You might think you are anonymous here with tinted windows and no one will see you but the Taiwanese and they are worse than us right?

Adapt, don’t adopt.