The X-philes

No. It’s not something one “has”. It’s a complex situation or drama a boy goes through at a certain stage in early childhood. Psychoanalysts (Freudian psychologists, whose numbers are relatively few nowadays, as Freud’s theories have been partially discredited) use this supposed developmental stage, which I think is farcical to begin with, to explain both normal childhood development and abnormal adult behavior; a fixation (part of the libido getting stuck) at this stage could result in sexual deviancies (both overindulging and avoidance) and weak or confused sexual identity, among other things.

Laymen might use it more broadly, without TOO much of a stretch, to describe men who are attracted to women who resemble their mother, I suppose…

Any usage beyond that would just be ridiculously wrong, similar to the now ubiquitous misuse of “schizophrenic” to describe what should be called “multiple personality disorder”, and so on.

The Oedipus complex involves sexual awakening by the boy (age 2 or 3-ish), sexual attachment to the mother, and rivalry with the father over this lover. Upon realizing the sexual nature of the boy’s interest, the mother will forbid him to touch himself, and threatens him with castration if he doesn’t stop. She may say the father will carry out this castration. The boy, having seen girl’s genitalia, realizes that his penis can indeed be cut off, as girls are proof of this. The threat is too great, and the boy represses his sexuality, so that throughout the rest of childhood, the child is an asexual being. The boy yields to the father, becoming an obedient son, rather than a rival. In fact, he identifies with him, in order to deal with the threat, and this is how his masculine identity develops; he also becomes repulsed for ever after by the thought of his mother’s sexuality. The whole event thus drives the development of the superego, incest taboo, masculine identity, repression of sexuality in children, and so on.

The term Oedipus or Oedipal Complex is used to describe this developmental experience; it is not a label for adults or adult neuroticisms. We would not say “he has an Oedipal Complex”. Rather, everyone has gone through this during early childhood. I think the term “complex” is misunderstood by laymen here, as the word can be used to describe a personality problem in phrases like “inferiority complex”.

If the events go badly, you supposedly might end up with fantasies about your mother, hatred of your father, an overly masculine or feminine personality, homosexual or bisexual, and so on. I’m not an expert in psychoanalytic theory, but this should suffice to give you a rough idea of what Freud thought. I think the whole theory here is a bunch of hooey, personally.

gee, I’m not sure which this conv is:Sports, Fun or a Game?

:smiley: :smiley: Aye, digressed we have. Mods, feel free to split us off into D&R, starting perhaps with Mordeth’s post? Sorry!

:smiley: :smiley: Aye, digressed we have. Mods, feel free to split us off into D&R, starting perhaps with Mordeth’s post? Sorry![/quote]

hehe D&R :smiling_imp:

Ok, I’m happy not to be Oedipal. I’m just too mature to like young men then? :smiley:
Ha-ha.

I’d say it’s fun, occasionally sports. :slight_smile:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]
But what if you add 10 years. Would it be right for a 40-year-old man to date a 23-year-old woman? What about a bigger gap like 18 and 45? Should a man date someone young enough to be his daughter?[/quote]

It’s just like asking if a white should date a black? Or should a yellow date a white?

The relationships with age gaps dosen’t mean wrong or not right, they work out just like any other relationships, and fail like any others as well. Nothing’s guaranteed unless you spend time forming this relationship well.

Do mods in the WOMEN ONLY forum allow as many guys in as the mods in this forum (guys only thread) allow women in? :wink:

If you wish, I’ll flounder it for being sexist and then it will be open to anyone. :unamused:

[quote=“AniSil”]It’s just like asking if a white should date a black? Or should a yellow date a white?

The relationships with age gaps dosen’t mean wrong or not right, they work out just like any other relationships, and fail like any others as well. Nothing’s guaranteed unless you spend time forming this relationship well.[/quote]

I don’t plan on dating my father’s peers to find out. To me, having sex with someone young enough to be your son or daughter doesn’t make you much better than someone who actually engages in the same act with their son’s or daughter’s classmates except you waited a few years for it to be legal. Ten-year age gap? Okay. Twenty-years+ age gap? Creepy.

If one considers how Taiwanese girls are often more cheltered by their parents and are therefore far less experienced in social dating than many westerners, it seems even more disgusting to see middle-aged men taking advantage of young girls who have barely even left the nest.

That doesn’t seem right. I think you mean older men/women with people under the age of 30 with a gap of more than 20 years (If X < 30 and Y = X+20 then Y also = creepy, or something like that).

Because a 30 year old with a 50 year old seems OK. and a 60 year old with a 80 year old definitely seems OK. I don’t agree with the equation I wrote nor do I agree with your version. There are so many variables to a relationship equation that it seems silly to give the difference of age so much strength.

So what’s the age in Taiwan where a girl (or guy for that matter) is mature enough to get taken advantage of? And what would it be in the US?

Would someone who had just moved away from home for the first time be likely to handle the kind of relationship someone past the prime of his or her life would be seeking? How many college freshmen are ready to be grandmothers?

So if I were to date a 26-year-old it would be “creepy?” The only thing I find creepy is that someone else would find it creepy. :unamused:

Absolutely, unequivocally, and without the slightest shadow of doubt YES![/quote]
:laughing:

I should have read the first page first.

Not all older (wo)men have kids or grandkids. Some just lead a normal 22 year old life (in the body of a 58 year old of course :slight_smile:).

I would find it creepy considering the fact that you’re a married man. :unamused:

A 26-year-old and a 46-year-old probably don’t have a whole lot in common, but it’s not as creepy as a 20-year-old and a 43-year-old or a 19-year-old and a 40-year-old. With either men or women on either side of the age gap. I think a 26-year-old has a bit more experience in life than someone who has just moved out from home. It’s true that the maturity gap lessens as the two people grow in age like the difference between a 12-year-old and a 32-year-old dating and a 25-year-old and a 45-year-old dating, but you have to wonder how little age matters to the couple when the older person in a relationship makes references to their younger lover as being infants.

But you’re right, it has nothing to do with me or people I know, as do many of the threads on this forum such as the accident in Kenting, the father who killed his daughter and got turned away from a hospital, or even the Michael Jackson trial. I certainly hope the preachier ones of you out there (sandman) aren’t frequent posters of such gossip. Otherwise, the “mind your own business” bullshit is merely hypocrisy when what you really mean is “mind your own business only when it’s my business”.

Preachy? That sure as hell describes me to a T and no mistake!
And if I wasn’t a married man, I’d be chasing those nubile 26-year-olds around just as fast as my Zimmer would carry me.
And how about our mutual friend, Imani? Is her marriage to someone 20 years her senior also “creepy?”

Even you admit that there’s a possibity that they have things in common (maybe even lots). I think the discussion ends about there. If you’re saying relationships with large age gaps statistically fail, well, it’d be hard to argue with that if it’s true.

Now I’m reading it’s usually (but not always) wrong/creepy.

Well, whatever. I just disagree. I agree that there are many potentially “funny” situations with a large age gap, but to just say a large age gap = creepy is a little strange I think.

Is our mutual friend only 19 years old and just starting out on her own or old enough to have experienced the world and to make mature decisions based on these experiences?

A gentleman would never divulge a lady’s age. But that’s irrelevant. You’re talking about the age gap – or at least you were. Changing your mind a bit?

There was an interesting case in Australia along these lines.

A 20 year old student touched the breast of his 15 and 10 month old girlfriend. The girl didn’t report anything to the police, but one of her vindictive friends did. Given the girls age (under 16) the guy was arrested and charged with some minor sexual offence. At the time the policeman said it was trivial and so did the judge who said to the young guy that being charged would never affect your future employment.

Then in Australia because of its incredibly misguided reactionary policies to child sex crimes this guy was recently fired from his job as a teacher, as the government had introduced a blanket law outlawing all sex offenders from working as teachers.

The offence was so trivial that the guys colleagues have been striking for months and perhaps will even get the law changed.

What worries me the most is that Imani seems to be suggesting that I should stop dating Maoman’s old lady. :astonished:

Speaking of age gap = creepy. What about Celine Dion? She married her freaking Manager! Which isn’t so bad…if it weren’t for the fact he had been managing her since she was like 14.