The zone diet

Has any one tried the zone diet? Any luck with it.
I have heart disease and diabetis so I am afraid to try Atkins.
The zone sounds more reasonable. Low fat protien, olive oil, and lots of veggies. I need to drop about 20 KG and lower my blood sugar. I have started walking and/or riding a bicycle 2 hours a day.
Any success stories would be helpfull.

[quote=“bobl”]Has any one tried the zone diet? Any luck with it.
I have heart disease and diabetis so I am afraid to try Atkins.
The zone sounds more reasonable. Low fat protien, olive oil, and lots of veggies. I need to drop about 20 KG and lower my blood sugar. I have started walking and/or riding a bicycle 2 hours a day.
Any success stories would be helpfull.[/quote]

Bu Lai En has had great success with the low GI diet. I see many similarities to the original zone diet.

The zone diet is still the most popular in America as far as I can tell.

I used the zone diet years ago as a rough guide to lob off about 20-30kg of blubber. I still base my eating on keeping low in the carbs. Example is salad for evening meal with avocado and/ or olive oil for fat and some type of lean meat/fish to balance it.

Bread, pasta, potato and cereals are kept very light.

It takes me 20 minutes or more to enjoy a great salad based meal.

I can get more calories in with 2 slices of pizza in 2 minutes than the 20 minute salad then look around for more food because your body does not register it has eaten enough for some time. You’ve had another 3 slices of pizza before the full button turns on.

Like anything you need moderation. I don’t go as heavy into proteins and fat as the zone diet requires. My favorite foods are fresh baked bread and crisp brown fries. They stay a small part of my food intake.

My rough guide.

1. Keep carbs low and make the fingers crossed warding vampires away sign when you see pizza.
  2. Avoid milk based foods if possible. Cheese, cream, ice cream etc.
  3. Don’t eat the dry foods. Biscuits, chips etc.
  4. Don’t eat the above or anything like the above as snack foods. Don’t snack.
  5. Don’t drink sweet drinks at all. Water with lemon or lime only.
  6. Have a small reward daily. For me its 1 bottle of beer or a small amount of dark chocolate.
  7. Go crazy once a week and have a meal eating whatever you feel like.

I don’t have all the answers. This is just what works for me and it is a daily choice and will be for the rest of my life.

Thanks Ironman,
Sounds like good advice.

Update,
Apparently it is working for me. I have dropped 6 kg and two belt holes in a week and a half. Best of all my blood sugars have been much improved and I am getting more energy.

:astonished: That isn’t a healthy amount of weight to lose in only a week and a half. Be careful. If I remember correctly, a healthy amount to lose is around 2kg/week. Rapid weight loss is not a good idea. What have you been eating?

Sorry mixed my pounds and kg. it was 6 pounds, or 3 kg.
I have 4 oz. of lowfat protien, either chicken or fish, and lots of vegtebals like cabbage and broccoli, and some fruit. I eat 3 times a day with 2 snacks, usually veggie. I also have 1 piece of bread or a small serving of noodles one a day.