Theism/atheism debates

The usual special pleading. We know something is here, surely enough. We think that things must have some ultimate cause, so we create one. We give it characteristics like “timelessness” so that it doesn’t have the problems we’re trying to explain in the first place. We wind up with something which we have no evidence of and which carries all of the inexplicability of what we started with.

He was asked the question and responded I see no special pleading? Do atheists have an answer as to how something came from nothing ? What is it and is it proven or a theory ?
But right now I’m hoping the metro will miraculously increase its speed as I’m late:slightly_smiling_face:

The special pleading is as I described above. Claiming to solve a problem by appealing to an “explanation” that is subject to the same problem.

In general, yes: “I don’t know” The question in my mind though is why something is here. I wouldn’t assume “something came from nothing”. For one thing, we have no idea if “nothing” is even possible.

1 Like

Ok I get you about “pleading”. Nothing may also not be possible yes I agree. Even a vacuum is something. I can see the debate in your view is kind of pointless, but I find the debate interesting. I tend to debate atheists as I feel for many atheism has become a kind of religion that also requires faith to some degree.

I find it so too! In a way, it is pointless to me, but on the other hand, I will defend my agnosticism on this point :slight_smile:

I think most atheists would deny that. I have beliefs about certain things, but I’m not sure why I would be said to have “faith” about anything.

1 Like

Do you define to have faith and have belief differently ? For example “I believe” there is a God and “I have faith” there is a God.

I’m not sure what faith is supposed to mean. People seem to use it to mean different things.

I agree it means different things to different people and sometimes the same thing as belief. For most Christian’s it is putting belief into an action. And faith is stronger than belief ; for example the biblical quote about the faith the size of a mustard seed being able to move a mountain.
and
“So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless. — [James 2:17]”
In other words faith is useless unless it produces good fruit. However a non believer would of course say that “good” is subjective. I think faith is mainly a belief that you are confident enough to act upon. I think that is the consensus of most Christians anyway. I’d like to hear what atheists think other than the inevitable sarcastic definitions ha!

Alex O’Conner is going to be a star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lazdxqOrY4E

Pretty good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBc_fJgLQ58

Yes, we can all get along!

1 Like

I’m still watching it, but I already gave you a like for sharing it with us.
It’s always nice to see a good and respectful discussion!

1 Like

Hovind’s type of presuppositionalism is really sad though.

Not a debate, but good fun

This isn’t my line of thought, just something I found amusing. :slightly_smiling_face:

god particle oops