Theories about conspiracy theories 🤔

Sometimes when people invoke a ‘conspiracy theory’, they are simply uninformed. Consider point (1) here. The UK had a team of psychologists - SPI-B - whose stated mission was to make people believe things that were not true, in order to get them to do things they would not otherwise do. This is not a ‘theory’. It was common knowledge. Various documents that they published are easily available online, describing what they did, how they did it, and why. Fear was a principal component of their strategy. They also had other organisations working with SPI-B to silence anyone who might contradict their message - for example, the DCMS and the Counter-Disinformation Unit was tasked with ensuring only SPI-B messaging reached social media, and everything else was taken down. Again, not a secret. The SPI-B Mindspace manual was so damned successful it was sold and used as the basis of similar campaigns worldwide.

I’m not sure that these are ‘conspiracies’, unless you want to call government a conspiracy, and they’re certainly not theories. They are simply mundane, verifiable facts. If you find them shocking or hard to believe, well, that’s understandable. But dismissing them as false because they’re “conspiracy theories” is just outright denial.

As for point (2), I gave a concrete example of ‘governments making everything worse’ in the Climate Change thread. Obviously, there are various things that have so far escaped their notice and haven’t been ruined yet. But to the extent that governments are currently engaged in any kind of active policy, almost all of them seem designed to harm people.

Who are ‘people’? Who are ‘conspiracy theory people’? I’ve attempted to provide reasonable arguments for my positions throughout this clownshow, whereas many of the ‘people’ who disagree with me have not. All they’ve been able to come up with are accusations of ‘conspiracy theory!’.

2 Likes