Theory; non disclosure in legal settlements. Isn't that just blackmail?

Other countries being better or worse is almost always just a justification for not willing to do anything to improve where you live. I reject this excuse, whole heartedly. Sorry.

I think you’re missing the point. Taiwan’s system can be manipulated. Much like any other. However there is an element of searching for the truth rather than accepting the best told story. You need to be seriously connected to restrict evidence from being presented and even then if that evidence goes public after it’s been restricted then the judicial figures and administrators can pretty much expect to lose their jobs and have their finances forensically examined. You won’t see that happen in the US, UK, or Australia.

That may well be true for larger cases. But i am talking more societal level dealings with lower courts. We have seen many hearings have the judge literally mistranslate (taiwanese to chinese) and erase the record. The only way we know is that the people there were smart enough to secretely record the audio, which also isnt allowed in taiwan courts. So the fact you have faith in courts kind of surprises me. I would say fairly confidently the cukture in taiwan is to.settle because courts are not diligent enough nor fair…i would agree with that.

Icant speak.of other countries sustems. I am saying.i.live here and too mnay people are fearful of going to court and losing, regardelss of being right and .having evidence. as with marco, on needs to have confidence to push forward. That is the cultural issue here i was speaking of earlier. Many arent and lose due to lack of faith in the court system.

I will even go one further and say people have similar opinions of the police force.

Note i am talking small common stuff the public is often involved with, not top level. Things like custody, divorce, traffic accidents, drugs, harrasment, assault, business contracts, real estate etc. Thise kinds of things, not murders and espionage.

There is a reason taxis have 5 cameras…and it’s not because the justice system is amazing. The society in general shares its fair share of blame as well.

I never said I have faith in courts. The system here can also be quite racist and discriminatory. And the police in the last 20 years have gone backwards. They used to be excellent. That all started happening under Ma Ying Jeou if I’m being honest.

As with all things legal it’s expensive. From the outset. Even without a lawyer. And people, especially those that think they have a lot of guanxi, don’t like being proven wrong. Social media has made some dents into this by allowing people to secretly record and another person to send it on to the media. The media aren’t afraid of exposing corrupt officials either. But those at the very top seem to still be a protected species. And evidence can always be manufactured with judges preventing forensic methodology to prove the evidence was manufactured.

Ya sure.

Issue with recording a court case is it is, by proxy, not anonymous…people are (rightfully) fearful to dare do such a thing. It would beneift societ greatly if they made it legal. The fact they dont says a lot as to their faith in their employees’ dignity and unbias pedigree.

1 Like

I sort of view the legal system a bit like breeding racehorses. Only kings and queens can afford it. The sport of royalty. It’s like that age old adage always back self interest. I think a lot of problems in regards to legal issues could be solved quite quickly if both parties were given equal representation by the judicial system rather than allowing private enterprise to run amuck.

That’s where the imbalance really sits. A guilty party with unlimited access to legal representation and funding can delay and obfuscate and cause all sorts of trauma to the innocent party over a period of years as they have the means to do so. Whereas the innocent party might only have limited funds and ability to be able to defend themselves thereby forcing them to agree to something which is completely unfair based on the incident and ongoing impact on that persons life.

1 Like

To this, i absolutely 100% agree. And this is why it is worth everyone discussing, fighting and doing what we can to push change…because as it is now, its a bit of an exageration calling them a justice department in the same way residential schools were the education department haha.

1 Like

I only reject it half-heartedly. Better a banana republic than a full-on dystopia, and the same concept applies mutatis mutandis when you’re above the banana republic level but not quite up to first world standards. :2cents:

Thats true. Dont get me wrong i ge your guys point. But you are still using other regions to justify inadequate action here. Just on that point is where i whole heartedly disagree because its just an excuse to not put in more work.

Frankly even the best of the best arent perfect and should always be putting in more work to improve.

I’m not trying to justify inadequate action though. I’m saying that what is available here is better than other places. Still plenty of room for improvement though.

1 Like