Thery're on to you!

Here’s another good article. Censorship. But it is more than just that. It shows how even the stupidest party hacks would kill the golden goose just to satisfy their own personal agendas.

In China, an editor triumphs, and fails

oops sorry, wrong thread.

I only teach adults. That program is the best show that has ever been on televison IMHO. Anyway with a bit of effort I can adjust the system I am developing to teach any sort of film. Comedy and drama especially.

Can somebody please explain to me what the reasoning is behind the jabs to South Africans?
I hold a degree and a CELTA certificate as do 3 other South Africans that I have met here.
I am the only South African at my school and as it happens the only ‘teacher’ with CELTA too. And if I may add, everything I learned at CELTA turned out to be rather ineffective in preparing me for the bushiban scene in Taiwan and did not prepare me at all for dealing with children. That I have had to learn through my previous year of teaching here, read through experience, not through an over-priced 4 week course and a piece of paper.

I apologise if I am over-reacting but I am finding these negative comments on South Africans to be insulting.

I have liked the South Africans that I have met.

I think most of the South Africans are great, in fact some of my close friends are from there. The only issue when it comes to teaching English are those who have English as a second language (as aposed to the other way with Africans as a second) and who haven’t studied their degree in English. They tend to ask questions such as “how do you say this in English??” and then there are those who won’t speak in English unless they really have to (try being at that dinner table!). It’s not that a big deal, except that they aren’t really native English speakers and it shows. I believe this is why South African people get a hard time as the law here doesn’t make a distinction, but many native speakers do. I hope that helps Nanfay.

Note: This does not apply to EVERY South Africian just a lot (and I have met many as I live in Chiayi!!!)

Maybe they don’t like South Africans because we can speak a language they don’t understand.They can only speak English,HA HA HA.

I love to speak Afrikaans over weekends and at BBQ’s.
I will also be pissed offfff when the Taiwanese can speak Chinese and the South Africans can speak Afrikaans and the other can only speak English.

I WONDER WHO SUCK NOW----HA HA HA HA HA.

Maybe because half the time nobody can understand a word they’re saying, their accents are so thick.

[quote=“rassie”]Maybe they don’t like South Africans because we can speak a language they don’t understand.They can only speak English,HA HA HA.

I will also be pissed offfff when the Taiwanese can speak Chinese and the South Africans can speak Afrikaans and the other can only speak English.

I WONDER WHO SUCK NOW----HA HA HA HA HA.[/quote]

Speaking Afrikaans is a wonderful thing, I believe it. Everytime I hear it I try to pick out stuff that I can understand, that doesn’t happen often though.

I speak Chinese and English, but I try not to exclude people when I am in a mixed group. However, from what I hear, many S.A people will chat away in Afrikaans while in a mixed group of people that don’t speak Afrikaans. Those who don’t understand are isolated and can’t be bothered being social anymore. Surely, this is not a good thing. When you are in a mixed group, and share a common language, you should try to use that common language. It’s just good manners.

That doesn’t make bad teachers though. 2 of the best teachers that I have ever met are from South Africa and I respect their work very much. These teachers use Afrikaans for private communication which is none of my business anyway. For things that could involve me, they use English. No complaints there. There are some that aren’t like this though.

Nooit, okes! Daar’s niks verkeerd met die aksent of die taal! Dis mos net 'n special way of talking, net soos a pidgin of iets. Teach the laaities iets anders, ek always say. Hoe gaan hulle in die Kaap survive?

-OR-

Come on, guys! There’s nothing wrong with the accent or the language! It’s just a special way of talking, just like a pidgin or something. Teach the youngsters something different, I always say. How will they survive in the Cape?

[quote=“rassie”]Maybe they don’t like South Africans because we can speak a language they don’t understand.They can only speak English,HA HA HA.

I WONDER WHO SUCK NOW----HA HA HA HA HA.[/quote]

Did you ever read that book “How to win friends and influence people”, no? perhaps you should.

It’s great that you love to speak your native language over weekends and at BBQ’s. I have no problems with Afrikaans at all, just not when i’m in social situation and am excluded.

The topic was on why people have a problem with South African teachers, not who can speak what language. What I should have added to my last post was that the Taiwanese government excludes people from Countries such as Holland and Germany because they don’t speak English as a first language, from obtaining a work permit (and therefore an ARC). I believe it’s based on this that some native speakers have a problem, as in why is it fair to exclude certain people yet allow people who don’t speak English as a first language just because there are others from that country who do. It should also be pointed out that if a Chinese/Taiwanese person who had been raised in a foreign country wanted to teach English they need to provide school records to show that they have studied as a first language (for want of a better term) since grade 6.

Why don’t they let people in Belize and Jamaica and Guyuna and the Bahamas and all the other native English speaking islands in the Caribbean, why can’t they legally be allowed to teach English in Taiwan as native English speakers, but South Africans can when so many South Africans speak English with such a thick Afrikaans accent not even fellow native English speakers can make heads or tails of what they’re going off about. It isn’t fair. West Indian English is easier to understand than South African English.

Sorry to go off topic here, but…
Peking Spring, that avatar is the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Okay, not to be belligerent but since when did a person’s accent determine their English ability?
I was not aware that if and only if you spoke with an American accent did that qualify you and only you to be called a “Native English Speaker”.
I consider English to be my first language and Afrikaans to be my second. I am South African, and damn proud to be South African.
Peking Spring, life is not fair, get used to it.
And Surfbunny, there are 3 ABC (American born Chinese) and 1 OzBC (my term to clarify for Australian born Chinese) teachers at my school teaching in the capacity as foreign teachers, none of whom have had to undergo this test you are speaking of.
And finally to conclude my little rant, South Africans are not the only people who speak in a language others may not understand while at the dinner table, braai etc. gasp Get over that too. I do agree though that to do so is bad manners. However this is something that many people display here (bad manners) and it is a flaw that is independent of nationality. If that bothers you so much, why not learn some Afrikaans? :wink:
My point is, try to refrain from tarring all South Africans with the same dogmatic brush.

[quote=“Nunfay”]Okay, not to be belligerent but since when did a person’s accent determine their English ability?
[/quote]

When your accent interferes with your ability to be understood. Some countries’ accents are so thick they’re almost like a foreign language, so it’s not fair that they should be considered “Native English speakers”. English used to be German just with a different accent but it slowly evolved into a totally separate language. That’s the same thing going on with South African “English”, it’s still technically “English” but not standard English and it’s slowly evolving into a totally separate language that other “Native English speakers” can’t understand. The Taiwan government will probably get wise to this in a few years and reevaluate the status of South Africans eligible for legal employment as “Native English speakers”.

Maybe cuz no one outside of South Africa gives a flying fig about Afrikaans. :smiling_imp:

You guys can can keep it. I’ll take english, spanish, and mandarin over afrikaans any day of the week.

Hooray for chauvinism. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

j/k…to each his or her own. :notworthy:

But PS is spot on about the thick accent thing. Maybe not all SA’s have it, but many I have met do and I’m not the only other foreigner who has a hard time understanding them when they speak the same language I do.

WHAT ABOUT THE AUSSIE ACCENT THEN.

NOBODY CAN UNDERSTAND A WORD THEY SAY,THAT INCLUDES ME AND MY STUDENTS.WE HAD AN AUSSIE TEACHING AT OUR SCHOOL FOR 2 MONTHS.

SA speaking Afrikaans in a mixed group = Rude.
What about the Canadians table manners=That suck.

Jinete Mortal=Speak Spanish at your BBQ’s.You will be talking to yourself the whole evening.Maybe try your Mandarin.I’m sure you will enjoy your BBQ’s with the Taiwanese.
Speak English or Afrikaans and everybody will have a nice time.

I never went to a BBQ in Taiwan where there was only one South African.

SOUTH AFRICANS = WE ARE HERE TO STAY.

Why do Rassie’s posts always remind me of Spitting Image?

Anything to so with this? vinylsingles.co.uk/thechickensong.htm

vinylsingles.co.uk/southafrican.txt

africans.co.za/modules.php?n … cle&sid=37

Before you shoot me, I have met plenty of nice South Africans. Alleycat, a nice S.A bloke, but I’ve never met him.

Many “teachers” come to Taiwan with the idea that because of their accent, they are qualified. There is more to teaching English than accent. What about real qualifications, experience, EQ and conscientiousness? The truth of the matter is that some schools prefer South Africans because they are reliable and a business and don’t run to Hong Kong when the going gets tough.