They can't say NO!

[quote=“j99l88e77”][quote=“M0NSTER”]I’ve noticed that alot of these language exchanges are now requesting pics. This is not a dating service!!!

Wonder, I’m not blamin you but it seems to be an on going and increasingly larger trend. So ya can’t blame her for being nervous or brushing it off as easy pickens.[/quote]

And you can’t blame her for thinking you were thinking of easy dickens.[/quote]

Hey Sherlock, this is Holmes speaking…get a clue!

Read again.

Really? News to me. Seriously, how many foreign men “seek a cute Taiwanese woman to help show them around and help them practice their Mandarin” and how many Taiwanese girls are looking for foreign men (and sometimes women…see below) to practice their English with. How many couples hook up through so-called “language exchange” (or perhaps the French translation “l’exchange des langues” or “the exchange of tongues” which seems fairly fitting seeing as what tends to happen 75% of the time)?

And if not a dating service, it’s definitely a status thing, screaming out, “Look at me hanging out at Sogo with my foreign friend speaking English together. Ain’t I the shit.”

En tout cas, unless you’re inviting all of your students out, taking one…one that you are currently teaching…particularly a female one that you are currently teaching, in spite of your innocent intentions, it is a HUGE no-no.

Wait till the semester ends.

As much as I might daydream about laying my STUDENT across the table during a language exchange, I wouldn’t. It’s a fooking job!

On the other hand, a woman is free to hire me as her personal boy toy if she so needs. I clean up and exit accordingly under certain cirCUMstances. GRIN

ImaniOU, I agree with you when you mentioned that if anything you should leave it 'till the end of the semester. Meh, I find it rather sneaky if men have to disquise their intentions behind a teaching job. It’s alittle twisted and plays with their minds. They as students, look up to you as a peer.

Try a nightclub, personal ad or through your network of friends. Works for me.

[quote=“M0NSTER”][quote=“j99l88e77”][quote=“M0NSTER”]I’ve noticed that alot of these language exchanges are now requesting pics. This is not a dating service!!!

Wonder, I’m not blamin you but it seems to be an on going and increasingly larger trend. So ya can’t blame her for being nervous or brushing it off as easy pickens.[/quote]

And you can’t blame her for thinking you were thinking of easy dickens.[/quote]

Hey Sherlock, this is Holmes speaking…get a clue!

Read again.[/quote]

Just a play on words. No offense.

People take, give phone numbers and promise to do this and that in Taiwan. I learned pretty quick not to take it seriously when I was there. I’m guilty of being a serial phone number collector nowadays because people in Asia aren’t really serious about wanting to call you or wanting you to call them it seems. Depends on the situation. As far as this girl is concerned, hindsight being 20/20, best aproach would’ve been “Call me if you want to do an LE” and leave it at that. Anyway, face or no face, she seems like a dork.

I’ll second Sandman’s sound advice. For my first few months in China, I tried to always explain why I couldn’t do some stupid thing my bosses or coworkers asked me to do. My (to me) polite explanation always left them upset and we often ended up in a long discussion or even argument. I eventually just said ‘yes’ and then didn’t do it, and had no more problems.

What’s really bad is when they say “no” but mean “yes”…

It could be that she’d be happy to meet and talk, but worries that it might be a date and her boyfriend might not approve. Or perhaps her mother.

Perhaps suggesting meeting with a third party?

I’ve had trouble with people misinterpreting an invitation to sit down and talk for a come-on in the past. I found that when you ask them to please bring their boyfriends with them, or someone else, they would relax a bit.

And then, perhaps she really would like a date, but is shy about that sort of thing.

Or maybe she’s just avoiding confrontation, just doing a poor job of it. :sunglasses:

[quote=“tash”]sandman, funny you should post in here. Your wife is Taiwanese and she has no problem saying “No” :wink:
[/quote]
Which is just as well, otherwise I’d be riding around on a 750cc motorbike I was unable to meet the payments on, I’d have a different saxophone for every day of the week and a house full of expensive guitars. And an enormous gut from eating at JBs and Carnage every day of the week.
She saves me from myself.

Maybe you can reverse your situation by posting a sign up sheet for LE or giving out your email to the students and announcing that if they want to do LE they can contact you. Then, if some nitwit contacts you, just say no (or stand him/her up, I guess).