Thin clients DAMN small Linux + Bootable USB drives

I am wondering how feasible this solution is for our school environment with only about 6-10 consoles…

each pc has no hard drive, but a bootable USB drive running either DSL Linux or Feather Linux or one of the other mini-linuxes…

Can new motherboards boot from USB? Is USB drive a good alternative for a bootable medium?

Without a hard drive, all files are stored on a central file server with suitable back up (some kind of raid solution)…

Would this work or is thi just silly talk?

KENNETH

it works very well. one problem i see could be compatibility issues (for users not used to the penguin’s OS). it is enough for browsing, e-mail, office… i sometimes use DSL on my xbox and it is great. i dont think this system should be used as a permanent solution though.

You might want to consider something like this instead
ncomputing.com/ncomputing/index.php
With a decent enough machine, you can hook up 10 users to one PC with those, but I don’t know if they’re any good…
The other thing you could do is get some IDE to CompactFlash adapters and plug into a PC and boot of those, they work quite well, but remember that all flash memory media has much shorter life span than a hard drive.

Anybody know where to find the Ncomputing devices in Taiwan?

Kenneth